resizing windows, gentoo partitions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonglebeak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: resizing windows, gentoo partitions Reply with quote

First of all, here's my partition table layout

/dev/sda1 - Windows XP - ntfs, 150gb
/dev/sda2 - /boot - ext2, 512kb
/dev/sda3 - swap, 512mb
/dev/sda4 - gentoo - ext3, 80gb

I've pretty much accepted the fact that to get windows programs to run flawlessly, you need to use windows. but here's what i want to do:

1) I want to resize my xp partition down to 100gb, and increase my gentoo partition to 100gb
2) Create a FAT32 partition for swapping files between the two os'

Problem: How do I go about doing this? I've heard ext3 partitions can't be resized without losing data, and I know the partition magic (for resizing windows) will likely corrupt the partition table, as it's done that to me last year when I had windows and mandriva running.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Linux-NTFS project says their tools will grow or shrink (but not move) ntfs partitions non-destructively. e2fsprogs can do the same for ext2/3. They are included on the GParted LiveCD which is a great replacement for partition magic.

So you can boot off the LiveCD, and resize everything, though be careful where you add a new fat partition so you don't throw off the device numbering.
Hauser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be some problems doing this. If you use GParted or Qtparted (checkout SystemRescueCd), you should have no problem shrinking your xp paritition. However, it'll be difficult to expand your gentoo partition, because AFAIK you can only resize a partition by moving the end of the partition forward or backward, you can't move the beginning of a partition (since your gentoo partition is the last partition, you probably won't be able to expand it). I would suggest you create another 2 partitions (either with qtparted of fdisk) after you shrink your xp, one for the vfat partition, the other for your gentoo system (you can move some of your gentoo stuff there).

Do I like to compile everything?
Positive definite!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: