Install problems! <n00b>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thex15
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Install problems! <n00b> Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've tried a dual boot install of Gentoo and Windows XP and have failed abysmally, to the point where I think I have screwed up my hdd.

Initially, I read this site to make a dual boot:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_boot

I'm using Gentoo Live 2006.0 Installer CD (the one that's 697mb), chucked it in did the following partition:
60Gb hdd

/dev/hda1 - Windows XP partition (40gb)
The rest was recommended settings:
/dev/hda2 - boot 100mb
/dev/hda3 - swap 2020mb
/dev/hda4 - rest of the hdd space remaining.

The installer commenced as normal but stayed at formatting hda2 for 2 hours (the installer gave me no feedback as to % completed of format whatsoever!), and i couldn't hear any hdd activity or any output from the installer (on the output tab of Gentoo Linux Installer). So I closed the installer and tried to start it again, but nothing responded, so I clicked:

desktop -> log off -> restart

it ran through its normal process than locked up, so I rebooted and tried to reformat my drive again with Windows XP installer, but it failed. (Says my drive is damaged or something, but I have a feeling its to do with the failed format).

So given its failed, I try gentoo again, with only recommended settings on my drive (no ntfs partition) and now it fails.
=(

Did a google search and some places recommend I make a floppy with fdisk and an app called WIPEOUT to wipe the hdd clean and start over. Maybe this might fix my issues.

Any ideas folks? I think this is punishment for not doing enough rtfm.

My machine specs:
Intel Pentium Celeron 330 D 2.66ghz
1gb ( 2 x 512mb DDR RAM )
x1 60gb hdd
Nvidia Geforce MX440
mw007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Use the HandBook? Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml is what you should be using for installing Gentoo. It shows you how to dual-boot.

I would recommend Partition Magic to try and work with the disks now. It's never failed for me, even when I've received similar messages from the Windows partitioner and fdisk that you are receiving.

Another point. You said you were using 100MB for boot and 2020MB (2GB) for swap?!? Unless you're going to be doing something odd, I would stick with the defaults recommended by the HandBook (32MB for boot, 512MB for swap, rest for your OS partitions).

You don't need all of those logical drives and junk for dual-booting with XP that gentoo-wiki says. You'll only need four partitions at a minimum. I dual-boot with XP for my games I play and here is what I do to get it running:

1. Get Windows installed. For me, it's always easier to install windows and leave some unpartitioned space on the disk. I would leave about 10GB for linux.
    2. Setup your boot, swap, and root filesystems for linux.
    3. Install linux.
thex15
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t.

I think Wipeout fixed my hdd partiitons problem. Now I can install windows XP fine. (well I shouldn't speak too soon).
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-14884.html

Once I fix my 60gb hdd woes, i'll do a full install of XP, and if that works fine, i'll reformat the drives with new partitions in windows

so 40gb for windows
and unallocated space 20gb for linux.

Then install gentoo second.

I followed the installer on the handbook, but maybe not in the detail that i should have. I'll try again. I'm trying to make this a learning experience. Is there a harder way of installing Gentoo without GTK+ or the command based setup?
mw007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried the installer. I personally like using the command line for installing linux for some reason. It just gives me the feeling of control. And it has never failed for me.

I'm glad you were able to get your system working again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: