Gentoo on a Dell M 70
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtsephane68
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Gentoo on a Dell M 70 Reply with quote

I got some problems with the video and the wifi, i got them solved now.

For the video, i downgraded to 2.6.14 realease 7

Get /usr/src linux to point on your kernel sources.

Compile, remove any nvidia support, emege nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx
ipw200 and ipw200-frimware, and iee80211

(follow the two guides)

Check in scsi -> low level driver sata(here it's unclear i check sata stuff quite in excess)

sound is Ac'97 , ethernet card is Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
it works i got no problem with it

compile with frequency scaling, acpi, general pci options. .

Then :

Downgrade to Udev 070 (go to portage, find the ebuild, and ebuild Udev070 merge)

Download the Nvidai instaler he will compile a new driver.

The worst was getting nvidia and ipw2200 to work, with a 2.6,.26 i could not fix unresolved
symbol issues in nvidia, and neither use the nvidia instaler.

But 2.16.14 is fine/
I.C.Wiener
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please everyone just ignore this.
There is an excellent wiki on the M70 available here:
http://pelican.rsvs.ulaval.ca/mediawiki/index.php/Dell_Precision_M70

xtsephane68: There must be something else wrong with your installation. My M70 works just fine with the latest nvidia, udev (~x86), modular Xorg und kernel 2.6.15.
Nor was there anything wrong before I updatet to modular X (4 days ago). Only updating expat to version 2.0 caused me some trouble, but that doesn't belong here.
However there have been a lot of changes in config-files, perhaps that's what's causing you trouble.

The ipw2200 workes fine with the stuff that comes with the kernel (only need to emerge ipw2200-firmware). In case you get weired messages in dmesg like "ipw2200 firmware error... restarting" and your wlan-connection is being dropped try passing hwcrypto=0 to modprobe when loading the ipw2200 module:
Code:

modprobe ipw2200 hwcrypto=0 led=1

The sata-drivers name is ata_piix.ko. I can send you / post my kernel config if you like.
xtsephane68
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.C.Wiener wrote:
Oh please everyone just ignore this.
There is an excellent wiki on the M70 available here:
http://pelican.rsvs.ulaval.ca/mediawiki/index.php/Dell_Precision_M70

xtsephane68: There must be something else wrong with your installation. My M70 works just fine with the latest nvidia, udev (~x86), modular Xorg und kernel 2.6.15.
Nor was there anything wrong before I updatet to modular X (4 days ago). Only updating expat to version 2.0 caused me some trouble, but that doesn't belong here.
However there have been a lot of changes in config-files, perhaps that's what's causing you trouble.

The ipw2200 workes fine with the stuff that comes with the kernel (only need to emerge ipw2200-firmware). In case you get weired messages in dmesg like "ipw2200 firmware error... restarting" and your wlan-connection is being dropped try passing hwcrypto=0 to modprobe when loading the ipw2200 module:
Code:

modprobe ipw2200 hwcrypto=0 led=1

The sata-drivers name is ata_piix.ko. I can send you / post my kernel config if you like.

Thanks for the sata driver, I usually try to answer no anywhere i can in kernel config, but i was really not wanting to miss my hard drive ...

Well i tried the Laval university how to it, it works with some older kernel and instaltion combo, from 2004.
But with 2.16.16 i got two problems :

Nvdia was missing symbols (i grepped the kernel source tree and could not find any file containing those symbols)
Ipww2200 was working fine, but the firnware loading failed, due to some PCI interuption being denied.

So, If people try it with the current version it won't work, indeed the kernel .config is quite different now.

Also trust me ipw2200 won't work with the current udevfs, after emerging udev070
it worked without any further change, the problem was just udev.

I also got troubles with the nvidia drivers, missing symbol in kernel 2.6.16..

You config file is welcome i would like to understand what i did wrong.
I.C.Wiener
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just upgraded to gentoo-sources-2.6.16-r6. Works like a charm except bluetooth-hidd (mouse wheel of my bluetooth-mouse doesn't work). Unfortunately the bluez-guys haven't released the mh2-patch for 2.6.16 yet, maybe the 2.6.15 patch will just work, but I'll try that later. Anyway this was expected and probably won't affect you after all. Even my dvd-recorder (usually caused trouble because it's sata) worked right out of the box :)

So just to sum things up, this combination works flawlessly:
Code:

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.16-r6
sys-fs/udev-090
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8756
media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8756
net-wireless/ipw2200-firmware-3.0

After upgrading things like udev don't forget to run etc-update - otherwise things will break.
Also after upgrading your kernel you have to reemerge all modules which did not come with the kernel, like nvidia-kernel.
xtsephane68
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.C.Wiener wrote:
Ok, I just upgraded to gentoo-sources-2.6.16-r6. Works like a charm except bluetooth-hidd (mouse wheel of my bluetooth-mouse doesn't work). Unfortunately the bluez-guys haven't released the mh2-patch for 2.6.16 yet, maybe the 2.6.15 patch will just work, but I'll try that later. Anyway this was expected and probably won't affect you after all. Even my dvd-recorder (usually caused trouble because it's sata) worked right out of the box :)

So just to sum things up, this combination works flawlessly:
Code:

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.16-r6
sys-fs/udev-090
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8756
media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8756
net-wireless/ipw2200-firmware-3.0

After upgrading things like udev don't forget to run etc-update - otherwise things will break.
Also after upgrading your kernel you have to reemerge all modules which did not come with the kernel, like nvidia-kernel.

Oh well you are better than me, or may they fixed the nvdia-kernel recently ?

Anyway m a kind of newbie witth gentoo, i know computers but do theory ...
May be i forgot something, but still i found many pages mentionning this missing symbol problem
(sorry i can't remenber the two external missing references) ...

My portage contains :
nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r5.ebuild nvidia-kernel-1.0.8174-r1.ebuild
files nvidia-kernel-1.0.7167-r1.ebuild nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3.ebuild
Manifest nvidia-kernel-1.0.7174-r2.ebuild nvidia-kernel-1.0.8756.ebuild
metadata.xml nvidia-kernel-1.0.7667.ebuild
nvidia-kernel-1.0.6111-r3.ebuild nvidia-kernel-1.0.7676-r1.ebuild

And i don't know what version was used by default, i assume the latest which is the one
that you use too ...

0:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV41 [Quadro FX Go1400] (rev a2)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
03:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI6515 Cardbus Controller
03:01.5 Communication controller: Texas Instruments PCI6515 SmartCard Controller
03:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection (rev 05

Well since i raised the issue i wanna compile a new kernel 2.6.16
and retry but not now, may be later that week ...

But currently everything works perfectly with 2.6.14, centrino frequency scaling included.

I quite happy with Gentoo, my computer boots really fast with only what i need
and the Doc and How do are really wonderfull.
I.C.Wiener
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read an rather old GWN (from May 8th) and found a topic about udev and coldplug/hotplug. Seems there are some incompatibilities between recent versions of udev and coldplug. This might be the reason you're having problems with udev-090.

If you are using coldplug it might be worth trying without it.
I could never figure out what it is good for anyway - I mean if you know what hardware you have you can just load the modules you need in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Good luck...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: