Running Continuum/Subspace with wine? [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwentez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Running Continuum/Subspace with wine? [solved] Reply with quote

Here's the thing. I've been playing this game for 10 years off and on. I know it works under vmware and I've previously played it that way. However it seems someone has figured out how to make Continuum work with a patched wine. As I remember my framerate in vmware was usually next to unplayable, and I'd really rather play it in wine. My problem is that I just can't make it work. When i try to run the game wine simply exits after a second or two. Nothing graphical ever comes on the sreen and it gives no error message at all upon exit. I've tried several versions by editing the ebuild to include the patch. I've also tried compiling and patching by hand following the instructions I've quoted below, but the end result is the same. Has anyone who's reading these forums made the game work in Gentoo? If so, were there any clitches you had to overcome to do it? I know I haven't provided you with much information, but I'm really not sure what's relevant. My Gentoo is a fresh install from 2006.0 minimal cd. 2.6.16-r7 kernel compiled from gentoo-sources. Xorg is version 6.8.2-r7, and I've got an Nvidia fx5600 with the newest drivers (version 1.0.8756).
Here's the link to the appropriate entry in the wine applications database. http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=3703 As you can see it has gold status in Gentoo, so it is working for someone. Neither of the two Gentoo submitters have made an email address available, so I'm unable to contact them directly.
Here are the instructions on how to make it work (from the app db page):
Quote:
Continuum normally works because it creates another process of itself with the inability to use OpenProcess.
Wine doesn't emulate the ability to use these permission flags, so it endlessly loops. With the following patch to the Wine source, it checks for this, and allows Continuum to run.

To get the patch in:

1. Download the source, and untar it as a user.
2. Save the patch into a file, such as cont.patch into the top wine source directory.
3. Run "cat cont.patch | patch -p1"
4. then do "./tools/wineinstall" to install the modified wine. This takes time, and make sure there are no binary packages installed. Alternately, you can do "./configure" then "make depend && make" and finally "make install".

The following is the patch:

diff --git a/dlls/kernel/process.c b/dlls/kernel/process.c
index 33f9ee1..d50cb7d 100644
--- a/dlls/kernel/process.c
+++ b/dlls/kernel/process.c
@@ -2460,6 +2464,7 @@ HANDLE WINAPI OpenProcess( [url]DWORD access,
OBJECT_ATTRIBUTES attr;
CLIENT_ID cid;

+if (access & PROCESS_VM_WRITE) return NULL;
cid.UniqueProcess = (HANDLE)id;
cid.UniqueThread = 0; /* FIXME ? */

Thats all that needs to be done. =)

There's also a link to a wiki. http://wiki.minegoboom.com/index.php/Running_Continuum_under_Wine I found the following there:
Quote:
0.9.12 Update: Alternatively, in wine 0.9.12 edit the patch as such: @@ -2325,6 +2325,7 @@

As well as the rationale as to why it works:
Quote:
When Continuum runs, one of the first things it does is create another process of itself with some priviliages restricted, such as the ability to call OpenProcess. When the child process attempts to repeat this step, it receives an error that OpenProcess failed, which tell the process that it is the child. The child process then proceeds to run the game.
Since Wine does not properly emulate this parent-child security, this source modification is necessary to get Continuum to run under Wine.

Any help is very much appriciated, as this is the only game I play. :P

Last edited by rwentez on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwentez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone interested, somehow the problem was my video card. I know others have had the same problem I had, so I doubt it's just defective hardware. The game works fine with the above patch using my old mx440 and with an ati card a friend has in his laptop, it just refuses to co-operate with the fx5600.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: