CD Playing Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: CD Playing Problems Reply with quote

When I put in an audio cd and try to play it with amarok, it says it found the media, but then just hangs when trying to insert the media into the playlist. Xine engine is configured to use /dev/cdrom1 and that's my device. So I use KsCD, and it works alright, but my hard-drive light keeps beeping as I play it... is that normal?

I'd prefer to use amarok for my CDs, any ideas how to fix it?
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the CDROM drive light blinks at a relatively steady pace, most likely the audio is playing through the soundcard in analog mode. Meaning the CDROM drive is sending the audio directly to the soundcard and bypassing the CPU. But, if the CDROM light (and possibly the HD light) blinks, then the audio is being ripped digitally (CDDA), processed by the CPU, and then transmitted digitally to the soundcard.
harmzii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a similar problem as me. I cant play any cd with any player except xine which crashes soon after. Is there a way to set your cd drives so that it allways being ripped digitally? i haven't connected the analog audio cable to my cd drives so that may be why there isn't noise.
manny15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I believe xine and mplayer use the ripping technique, which means it doesn't use the cable connecting a CDROM drive to the soundcard. To use the analog method, you would need an alternative audio CD player such as XMCD. Note: the analog method is often not supported in new audio players.

About xine, I can play an audio CD, but it tends to randomly change tracks all on its own. So I use mplayer, xmms, beep-media-player, or bmpx.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: