dvd::rip
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: dvd::rip Reply with quote

I've recently attempted to backup one of my DVD movies, uh, in case the DVD wears out or something. Anyhow, I'm trying to use transcode with dvd::rip as the frontend and the process always fails when attempting to rip the vobs from the DVDs (usually immediately). Here is the error message I get:

Code:
WARNING: it seems that transcode ripping stopped short.
The movie has 34526 frames, but only 230
were ripped. This is most likely a problem with your
transcode/libdvdread/libdvdcss installation, resp. with
this specific DVD.

I've tried emerging various versions of libdvdcss with libdvdread and recompiling transcode with them, then removing both altogether and compiling different versions that I found the source to (setting the appropriate prefixes for their locations). I always get the same error. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it? I really need to back this DVD up...
jj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have this problem once in a while and downgrading to an earlier dvdcss or dvdread version certainly didn't help. What really happens when you get this error is that transcode is unable to read a certain sector of the disk, which makes it abort the operation. This could indeed be down to the DVD, but if you experience this on a regular basis and your rips seem to be slow sometimes (say under 150fps), it's more likely a problem with your drive. What did help for me sometimes though was thoroughly cleaning the DVD and the lens of my drive or just using another tool to copy the DVD (like 'drip' or 'acidrip').

These problems all ceased for me though when I bought another drive.
LJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my drive is really shitty. I think you're right. I'll give the other tools a try and let you know, thanks.
LJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well, drip and acidrip had the same problem. I ended up just testing around and disabled DMA which fixed the problem.
LJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well, drip and acidrip had the same problem. I ended up just testing around and disabled DMA which fixed the problem.
jj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ wrote:
Yeah, my drive is really shitty. I think you're right. I'll give the other tools a try and let you know, thanks.

Does it spit out some DVDs as well? Mine used to, got me up against the ceiling sometimes, especially when I really wanted to see the darn film 8O

Disabling DMA isn't the best option off course (shaky picture on DVD playback, slow file transfers rendering your system practically useless); you might want to consider buying another drive if the problem persists, since they're not really that expensive anymore. You can get a decent brand name drive (say LiteON or Aopen) for less than 50 euros nowadays and if you feel like treating yourself you could shed out an extra 20 and buy one without regional coding :)

Then again, if you're on a tight budget you could just disable DMA when copying a DVD and take the extra time and system load for granted.
quakz99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much does disabling dma affect the speed?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: