A few annoying multimedia problems...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justin2021
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: A few annoying multimedia problems... Reply with quote

1) mplayerplug-in is not working correclty. It seems like it is loading the clip, but the second it is done loading, it says "stopped"
2) Neither Mplayer or Xine will play dvds, giving me a similar error: "Failed to open: dvd:/" and for Xine it will say something about MRL being wrong, also saying something about /dev/dvd not existing. How could I add /dev/dvd?
3) When attempting to play a cd I recieve this error: Could not start process Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'audiocd'.
4) not really a problem but I find this odd: At one point, flash videos were playing, but no sound was heard. And then, suddenly it works. Could it have been the fact that I rebooted the system that made the plugins work correctly?
5) Text on some sites and on apps like Kate are EXTREMELY small. It seems to be their default size too. Sometimes I will have this problem with websites as well.
6) Why am I still able to access my flash drive even though I removed it? Does it have something to do with ivman?

If any additionaly info is needed just ask.
Help plz :(
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: A few annoying multimedia problems... Reply with quote

justin2021 wrote:
1) mplayerplug-in is not working correclty. It seems like it is loading the clip, but the second it is done loading, it says "stopped"

try this

Code:
 touch .mplayer/default.sub
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: A few annoying multimedia problems... Reply with quote

justin2021 wrote:

6) Why am I still able to access my flash drive even though I removed it? Does it have something to do with ivman?

Shouldn't you be unmounting it before you remove it?
justin2021
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that touch thing and it made mplayerplug-in work one time, with no sound, then it didn't play at all after that. Whenever I try to unmount it this is the error I get: umount: /media/sda is not in the fstab (and you are not root) Please check that the disk is entered correctly. When I am root though in the Konsole and use umount /dev/sda, it unmounts it, but then it can't seem to identify that I put it in again if I need to. Also, about flash "working", it seems to be a random thing. If I close firefox and bring up a new one somtimes it works, and sometimes it doesnt.

[edit] Ok, problem with the usb flash drive: I am able to remove it with being root in Konsole but the icon doesnt leave my desktop until I go into kde as root and select "Safetly remove". It also does detect it when I insert it into the usb port, but It doesnt detect it when I remove it (as in taking the icon off of my desktop)
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin2021 wrote:
I tried that touch thing and it made mplayerplug-in work one time, with no sound, then it didn't play at all after that. Whenever I try to unmount it this is the error I get: umount: /media/sda is not in the fstab (and you are not root) Please check that the disk is entered correctly. When I am root though in the Konsole and use umount /dev/sda, it unmounts it, but then it can't seem to identify that I put it in again if I need to. Also, about flash "working", it seems to be a random thing. If I close firefox and bring up a new one somtimes it works, and sometimes it doesnt.

[edit] Ok, problem with the usb flash drive: I am able to remove it with being root in Konsole but the icon doesnt leave my desktop until I go into kde as root and select "Safetly remove". It also does detect it when I insert it into the usb port, but It doesnt detect it when I remove it (as in taking the icon off of my desktop)

Do you have an entry in your fstab for your usb drive?
justin2021
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my fstab configuration

/dev/hda1 /boot reiserfs defaults,noatime,notail$
/dev/hda3 / reiserfs noatime 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,usr 0 0
#/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec $
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be interested in this.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_USB_Mass_Storage_Device

The important part I think is the /etc/fstab entry

Code:
/dev/sda1               /mnt/stick      vfat            noauto,user,exec,sync     0 0

I expect that if you properly mount the stick by editing this line into fstab, everything will fix itself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: