Possible New User: Pros/Cons of Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Possible New User: Pros/Cons of Gentoo? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of ditching SuSe 9.3 for another distro. I've got a friend who is/was estatic over Gentoo (He gave me my first Linux distro, FC3, which I never got to run, and SuSe 9.2, which also didn't work since it didn't have support for my winmodem I had back then). I've heard alot go either way with Gentoo, and was hoping for feedback from users who can give me some good, hopefully unbiased info on Gentoo installation, running it, packages, ect.

One thing I am looking for is something that is UPDATED. Thats one reason I'm not looking into Debian, and Slackware I'm personnaly just going to wait on for some time, since Gentoos all-source install seems like a good thing to me personally.

My system:
p4 2.35Ghz
80GB HDD (32ish for Windows, rest can be put up for Linux)
512 SDRAM
CD-RW
DVD-ROM
Intel Extreme Graphics card (onboard) w/ 64MB DDR SDRAM
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my personal viewpoint.

Pros for Gentoo:
  • Good package management
  • Good support from the community (Gentoo Forum, Gentoo Chat, etc...)
  • Is flexible enought to fit in almost every need you have
  • Does not heavy patch original packages

Cons for Gentoo:
  • Needs some time to get installed
  • Needs some time till you understand the way Gentoo works
  • You are the last and only one testing a package (maybe 1'000'000 Gentoo users installed the package but still... the binary you get, when you compile a package is your binary. Probably not alot users have exactly the same binary (md5 sum would not be equal on all of the 1'000'000 packages))
  • Commercial support is not always there (mostly SuSE, RedHat, etc.. are supported from big Vendors (IBM, Oracle, whatever...) but you will have hard time to find/get support for Gentoo)

My advice: Use Gentoo. It is very flexible and unique in his way of doing things. You need to invest time, but you get something back for that.

cheers

SteveB
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Gentoo can take HOURS to compile everything, and probably my install will end up being mostly from download/install instead of just from CDs.

P.S. Double-checking: x86 is the system I need for a system like mine, correct? The documents didn't seem to do much for clarifying that.
ce110ut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
I've heard Gentoo can take HOURS to compile everything, and probably my install will end up being mostly from download/install instead of just from CDs.

P.S. Double-checking: x86 is the system I need for a system like mine, correct? The documents didn't seem to do much for clarifying that.

yes you're safe with the x86 architecture, given your system details. this is not to insult you [and I apologize if I do, that's _not_ the intention] but if you do not know the _x_ means in regards to x86, look it up ;)

anyway, will it take hours? it depends on your setup. you can get a base linux install with everything off of your install CD in less than an hour. I'm going to guess that you're going to want desktop software and the like, which can take up time. building X [package: xorg-x11] and Firefox [package: mozilla-firefox] can take a lot of time.

anyway, like the parent post said, use gentoo. and then you can tell us how you like it as a suse/debian/etc linux user.

regards,
-berto
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
Oh... yes! It can take hours! My first install was on a IBM ThinkPad with P3@1GHz with 384MB memory. Installing Gentoo (bootstrap) took some hours, Stage2 took about the double amount as for Stage1, Stage3 took not that many hours, XFree86 + KDE + Mozilla took me about 12 or more hours, OpenOffice.org took me about 18 hours....

It took me alot of time to get it working.

Today I don't need that much time, because I have faster systems and some time I use distcc. But still it takes more time, then just inserting a CDROM and installing binary packages.

Dralnu wrote:
x86 is correct.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:

The initial install will take a long time (a day or two). However, once you're installed, most updates won't take long, and they'll take even less time if you don't sit there watching them - Linux is capable of multitasking!!! :P

My usual install order is to get the basic handbook install done, then do X and KDE (my preferred desktop environment) installed so I have a nice graphica lenvironment to work in - everything else can be installed after that while you work away on something else.

Yes, it does download everything from the net, so I would say a broadband connection is recommended. But this does mean you'll be getting up-to-date packages rather than the sometimes quite old ones found in other distros.

You'll also need to know what hardware you've got (useful tools here include lspci from pciutils and lsusb from usbutils) and be ready to sit reading through guides and working on the command line to get things done. Along this line of thought, I'd probably reocmmend finding out what hardware you have and finding the necessary guides (check http://gentoo.org/doc and http://gentoo-wiki.com) printing it or bookmarking it.

The x86 install is usually the best bet. If you want to try it, altho I can't specifically recommend it as I haven't used it myself, the new universal x86 CD's have a GUI installer on as well as a graphical environment to work in whether you choose to do a GUI install or a handbook command line install.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Googled x in x86. Not so much for results.

No, I don't know what it means (guessing x = i3/i5/i6 in i686 or some such deal as that?)

I'd like to have KDE (most of it), Firefox/Opera (One, maybe both. Firefox is a def. need), development tools (basic C/C++ workspace), enoguh multimedia I won't have to worry about alot of issues with how well things will work, command-line tools (w3m should be in there via dependency, plus I'd like to try out centericq), and a good lightweight WM (pref. IceWM)

I've got the main CD iso downloaded, and I'll start install tonight or tomorrow morning. In either case, I'll make sure to do what I can for telling you what I see as problems with install/usage/configuration.

Configuration I think will be my biggest problem, so I think I'm going to get my hardware device list off Windows (it does have its uses) and use that to help with the configuration and all that.

For the record, I'm purely a SuSe user. Havn't tried Debian (Did use Knoppix/DSL/Slax as LiveCDs once or twice, literally, but that was trying to repartition my HDD)
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUI install would be nice. That is possible from the downloaded image I take it? I think I got the Unviersal CD, but will double check that. Thanks for all the input. You all have really lived up to what I've heardabout the Gentoo commun.

EDIT:
Removed long quote that didn't print out right.

Last edited by Dralnu on Wed May 24, 2006 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for several long post. but what I downloaded was the LiveCD (as it was the ONLY one with x86 listed under it after looking at the Get Gentoo! line at the top of Http://www.gentoo.org/ , so thats what I downloaded. This won't cause any problems, will it?

The Universal CD has listed:

alpha amd64 hppa ppc (32 bit) ppc (64 bit) sparc64

to which I don't see which to select, but LiveCD has

x86

listed. Like I asked, that won't cause a probem, will it?
ce110ut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
Sorry for several long post. but what I downloaded was the LiveCD (as it was the ONLY one with x86 listed under it after looking at the Get Gentoo! line at the top of Http://www.gentoo.org/ , so thats what I downloaded. This won't cause any problems, will it?

The Universal CD has listed:

alpha amd64 hppa ppc (32 bit) ppc (64 bit) sparc64

to which I don't see which to select, but LiveCD has

x86

listed. Like I asked, that won't cause a probem, will it?

theoretically, no[1]. it should work. continue with the installation as it will not break your hardware. if anything, programs will hang. if it hangs, I recommend acquiring an AMD64 iso

[1] I have no experience installing gentoo on a 64bit architecture.

regards,
-berto
killomatic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said he has a P4, amd64 won't work on his sytem. He picked the right one.
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu,

Use the minimal x86 CD if you have a working network connection.

Use the x86 LiveCD otherwise, or if you particularly want to use the graphical installer (which I don't particularly recommend).

Just to reconfirm: x86 is what you want for a Pentium 4, not AMD64.
ce110ut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killomatic wrote:
He said he has a P4, amd64 won't work on his sytem. He picked the right one.

sorry - mixing architectures.

YES x86 for P4.

sorry for the confusion.
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you use the new livecd install method, you have a working installation with graphical environment and everything in minutes, and after that you can install/update whatever you wish.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: