Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Abiword pulling in dependencies I didn't expect.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duminas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Abiword pulling in dependencies I didn't expect. Reply with quote

First, please note I am using Abiword 2.2.11 at the present time, and it functions perfectly fine (beyond the problem I have below) without any Gnome dependencies I know of.

Abiword has been giving me some problems lately with .DOC files, specifically that it cuts off parts of a document in varying form. As an example, this guy, a syllabus for one of my classes, only gets 2 pages down (right to the "TOPICS AND ASSIGNMENTS" header, then it gets cut off. In MS Word, it works fine. This led me to believe that Abiword 2.2.11 has some issues reading files generated by Word 2003, as it happens to a file explaining one of our degrees as well.

That being the case, I unmasked abiword in package.keywords, then tried a merging:
Code:
# emerge -auv app-office/abiword

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] x11-themes/hicolor-icon-theme-0.8  30 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme-2.12.1  USE="-debug" 3,040 kB
[ebuild  N    ] gnome-base/libgnomeprint-2.12.1  USE="-cups -debug -doc" 769 kB
[ebuild  N    ] gnome-base/libgnomeprintui-2.12.1  USE="-debug -doc" 631 kB
[ebuild     U ] app-office/abiword-2.4.4 [2.2.11] USE="-debug -gnome -spell -xml2" 0 kB

So I try to merge it with the --nodeps option, but it fails out with this:
Quote:
ebuild.sh, line 1527: Called dyn_compile
ebuild.sh, line 931: Called src_compile
abiword-2.4.4.ebuild, line 65: Called econf '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gucharmap' '--disable-enchant' '--disable-debug' '--without-libxml2' '--enable-threads' '--disable-scripting' '--with-sys-wv'
ebuild.sh, line 533: Called die

Looking at the error it spat earlier, it seems to resolutely require libgnomeprint; as I lack a printer, I don't exactly like this, and having it installed seems quite frivilous (same for libgnomeprintui, but that's implied). Beyond that, I really don't want all those icons from gnome-icon-theme back. I got rid of them because they were totally unused, and I want to keep it that way. ;)

The first question would be if anyone is running abiword-2.4.4 (or any version >= mine, for that matter) has the same problems I describe on those documents? If not, I would assume an upgrade fixes the problem--were this to be the case, is there any way to get rid of the gnome libraries it wants to drag in? I am greatly confused here, since 2.2.11 worked just dandy without them (I would think they'd have been linked to the gnome USE flag).

If it would be helpful, the below is output from emerge --info:
Code:
Portage 2.1_rc2-r2 (default-linux/x86/2005.1, gcc-3.4.6, glibc-2.3.6-r3, 2.6.16-gentoo-r6 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.16-gentoo-r6 i686 Unknown CPU Typ
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14
dev-lang/python:     2.4.2
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LINGUAS="ja_JP.UTF-8"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

Thank you for your time.
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use abiword many moons ago, but dropped it in favour of openoffice (well, openoffice-bin to be more exact, I know, it's cheating...). Even though openoffice is big, I found it has the best compatibility with ms office *spit*, and just put up with the size. As a temporary solution (if you're in a rush that is), you could install that if you have the space. As for the actual abiword-2.4.4 problem, I can't help you there. Sorry.
Boesmann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification: AbiWord requires libgnomeprint for exporting pdf. The programmers decided to make this a necessary feature because of many people requesting pdf support (see their homepage for this).

To get rid of the icons try emerging with useflag "-gnome".

Unfortunately I had similar problems with importing .doc-files so I finally switched back to OpenOffice... (although I really don't need _so_ many office software :roll:).

EDIT: oh, sorry, I didn't realize you already had the -gnome useflag. Hmm, this is interesting, because I didn't need the gnome-icons....but on the other hand, maybe I installed them with some other application and just don't remember (I'm not at home right now so I can't check)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: