Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Looking for interest to build a web hosting control panel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see a control panel for Gentoo ?
yes
65%
 65%  [ 21 ]
no
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
only if its perfect
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 32

paul0128
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Looking for interest to build a web hosting control panel Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Been a while since I have been on here, but i have been thinking of doing something that I already started for one of my own projects. There are control panels like CPanel, Hsphere, etc, and I have an online website builder, and when I built it I used to sell hosting and domain names, so I built my own system to automate adding new websites to my hosting servers. I stopped selling hosting and domains because it wasn't a business I really enjoyed, and couldn't keep up with the big guys. I sell my own products, but I'm not trying to advertise them for free here, I have just been kicking this idea around for a few months, and wanted to see if Gentoo had any interest in it.

I am not a gentoo guru, I am more of a php software developer, but your project is put together so well, that I could put together the web interface pretty quickly, and have the system doing some Gentoo tasks automatically, especially if I had help from you guys with the server stuff. My own system used to create ftp accounts, add domain names, set up ssl, deticated ips, count used web space, bandwidth, etc. To be used by other companies, it would need to be built to be more flexible, more features, installed easily, and a few other things, but I would be doing all of that myself, I'm not even asking for help necessarily, I don't know if I would need it, but if I build it and give it away free, would gentoo make it an ebuild (assuming you thought it was good), so it could be installed with emerge (that I would need some help with I think).

I already have a free shopping cart project that just become the #1 listing in MSN when you type the words "free shopping cart", and is one of the highest rated carts on hotscripts. I will add a link to it before so you guys can know who I am, but please do not consider the link as spam, my new host is really annoying with that, if you want the link remove from the post I will remove it immediately. I wrote the shopping cart software by myself in about 70 days of development, I wrote over 100 pages of docs myself, and release new versions every 3-6 months, it already has more product features and is more customizable than oscommerce and zend cart, and is finally get some respect :)

I would love it to be available with emerge too, just let me know what you would like to see or have me do. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this post, and for any information provided, this community was awesome when I was learning Gentoo.

http://www.afcommerce.com/ - Shopping cart
http://amazingflash.com/ - website builder

Paul Crinigan
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You want to develop a replacement for cpanel and the like?
paul0128
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily a replacement, CPanel is great software, but its expensive and not tailored to Gentoo. If it took off it would probably start adding other flavors of Linux and maybe other environments, but Gentoo's power is in my opinion the best because of the automation, and even though Gentoo is easy to learn (compared to others), you still have to be a tech to know how to do tasks like installing packages. We could figure out the best ways to set up email, domains, etc, and maybe have this system install those packages to give a company a full system. It can even be used by the average Gentoo user, who knows how to do this stuff, but saves them time by letting them click a button instead of editing files, etc.

What I currently have is about 30 - 50% of what I think is needed for a good beta version, and it would be free, and / or have an upgrade version, but my purpose is not to make money off of it unless it got to the point where it blew others away (not something to think about anytime soon), and it would ALWAYS be free for the small guy, like I was. So I just don't want to give you guys the impression that the other types are not good, they just don't use the full power of Gentoo, and they are not free.
bakaohki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A web admin for Gentoo would be really nice... wish we had one ;) In case you need something like css/js/xhtml I'd be happy to give you a helping hand.
JCBIgler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll third that recomendation.

I just started my own website, and as a complete newbie to web administraion a free control panel built to run on Gentoo would be awsome.
olger901
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea. I am willing to help aswell. My skills are (X)HTML/CSS/PHP (both 4.x and 5.x and familiar with OOP aswell)/SQL/Planning & Management
jhunholz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a great project and fill a hole I've been trying to plug for a year. I don't sell space commercially, but I do host sites for some friends, and it would be nice to have a control panel that they can use. I've used Webmin/Usermin/Virtualmin, but that's not really a great program for what I want to do. So I'd be willing to help out in any way I can.
drakkan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not help chtekk (gentoo php leader and syscp developer) to improve syscp?

http://www.syscp.org/
http://blog.syscp.org/
jhunholz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SysCP looks good, but it seems to mostly be focused on Debian users. It would be great if it supported Gentoo as well.
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.syscp.org/wiki/Faq#possible-to-use-syscp-on-other-distribution wrote:
Yes, several users reported success using SysCP on other distributions, e.g. Gentoo, SuSE, we even have reports about successfull installations on FreeBSD and NetBSD. Basically, a SysCP installation is possible on ANY server system with PHP and MySQL. The services SysCP depends on (POP3 server, mail transfer agent, FTP server) need to be compiled with MySQL support and configured to get their data from the SysCP tables. SysCP officially supportes Debian, however any porting to other systems or their HowTo’s in the forum are welcome. Please check out also our section Installation Manuals for updated installation manuals on other Distributions.
That's a link to chtekk's overlay, and remeber that half the point of open source is to try to avoid re-inventing the wheel if possible ;)
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floffe wrote:
That's a link to chtekk's overlay, and remeber that half the point of open source is to try to avoid re-inventing the wheel if possible ;)

Sourceforge says otherwise =P

AllenJB
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: