Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Deciding which architecture: amd64 or x86?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therisen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Deciding which architecture: amd64 or x86? Reply with quote

Hello folks,

i'm currently using debian testing (etch) and i'm planning to check out gentoo in order to get a deeper understanding of how linux actually works and because of fun aspects :lol:

However I'll have to make a rather important decision before installing gentoo - which architecture? My cpu is an amd64 so basically one should use the amd64 architecture of gentoo. I've read that it is much harder to get such a system to run smoothly than a x86 (especially hardware issues). So the alternative would be to use x86 architecture (which I'm currently using with debian). Nevertheless I think that this is a contradiction to gentoo's philosophy of building and optimizing each software for its specific architecture/system, isn't it? Or are the speed differences not significant?
I'd appreciate some advice on that issue :) Thanks in advance.

Greets, therisen

Godfrey H. Hardy
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using amd64 for few months and I switched back to x86. For me there were no big performance gains, nothing that You notice right away, only much less free memory, that's becouse not all my apps are 64 bits (opera, mplayer-bin if You want to play wmv, enemy territory, firefox-bin over firefox if You want flash) and many libraries were loaded twice for 64bit apps and for 32bit ones. I don't do any media transcoding, povray or any other tasks that can profit from 64 bits.
I've got 512MB of ram and under x86 swap is almost never used, under amd64 I had much bigger memory usage, all I needed was to run enemy territory and my swap was getting filled with 30-50 MB. I can buy more ram, sure, it will stop amd64 from using swap, but when I add ram and stay with x86 I will profit even more becouse I will have a even more free memory.
luker0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an amd64 install and I have almost everything working. I'm starting to regret not going x86 though. It was just plain easier to get an x86 system running as a multimedia capable workstation. That plus I can print to my laser printer under x86, I haven't figured out how yet on amd64.

Performance wise, my wife's almost identical amd64 based machine running Winblows seems about as fast as my gentoo system. Some web based (flash and shockwave) things actually run slower on mine.
Intel P3 1.0Ghz, Asus TUV - File, LDAP and web internal server
therisen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot luker0 and prymitive, your answers are exactly what I was looking for :)

If installing the x86 arch on an AMD64, what CFLAGS do you actually set? Is it http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Opteron.2FAthlon64_.28AMD.29 (32-Bit version)?

Godfrey H. Hardy
prymitive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therisen wrote:
Thanks a lot luker0 and prymitive, your answers are exactly what I was looking for :)

If installing the x86 arch on an AMD64, what CFLAGS do you actually set? Is it http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Opteron.2FAthlon64_.28AMD.29 (32-Bit version)?

I've got for 32bit
Code:
-O2 -march=athlon64 -pipe -msse3 -fomit-frame-pointer

I've added -msse3 becouse my turion suports it and march=amd64 only enables sse2.
I recommend You using gcc 4.1.1, it's keyworded ~x86 and ~amd64 right now. I compiled my entire system with it without problems and I can say that it made my gentoo little less memory hungry, after bootup to kde with few apps it tray and konsole running I have about 76MB of ram used, some apps in stable versions won't compile and You will have to use ~x86/~amd64 versions with it if.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: