View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparrowmelody
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Incredibly slow LaTex performance. Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I recently decided to give a try to the all-famous LaTeX thing I was hearing so much around, so I went around
and installed kile to try. When I tried it, and tried compiling some "hello world" text, I received a several minutes delay, that left me like "WTF?" and made me uninstall everything after a few tries.
Then, I heard about LyX, and I tried again, this week, installing it, the QT GUI specifically (mostly to avoid installing gnome libs, I don't have a need for them). I ran it, and took almost 10 minutes to compile all needed information to start. Then I wrote some random hello world, and tried making a PDF. Five minutes...then I tried making a HTML...three minutes aprox. It is insanely slow, more like unusable.
Since I refuse to believe people likes an app that slows down that much, the other and most obvious solution is that
there is something wrong...what would be the cause of such a thing? Any known bug?
I compiled with -Os flag BTW.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a bit slow in the first run, because that's when LaTeX creates the font metrics and stuff required for your document. This can also happen later when you first use a different font style / size. That's the only "slow" thing about LaTeX I can think of... on my system, it takes 10 seconds to compile a book with around 1000 pages. Then of course, I've never used any GUI.
Sparrowmelody
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the GUI only invokes the program with a few set parameters, using a GUI or not wouldn't be any kind of trouble, theorically...anyway, I am talking about several minutes per use, not only the first.
e-ipi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparrowmelody wrote:
Since the GUI only invokes the program with a few set parameters, using a GUI or not wouldn't be any kind of trouble, theorically...anyway, I am talking about several minutes per use, not only the first.

Are you also having problems with missing fonts? I run into this sort of behaviour when LaTeX can't find fonts.

Just to be sure, I'd try running a "hello world" type file through your LaTeX/TeX setup without the GUI frontends. That way you can see any error messages that TeX/LaTeX put out.

Code:
sparrowmelody:/home/dir$ $EDITOR hello.tex

%%hello.tex
%% this is only a test.
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

Hello, world!

\end{document}

sparrowmelody:/home/dir$ pdflatex hello.tex

Sparrowmelody
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try ASAP (my monitor died and I have no replacement until tomorrow...ack) and post here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: