View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: blue and red in fonts... Reply with quote

I have my fonts finally looking decent on my laptop except for one thing. The fonts have tints of red and blue in them. Does this have anything to do with the sub-pixel rendering? I've tried all the different types for sub-pixel but it doesn't seem to have any affect. Any ideas? Thanx.
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a screenshot and post it to the forums, we'll tell you if they're red or blue for us. I'm guessing its probably your monitor, and not the software.

I use import -window root screenshot.jpeg

and import is a part of the ImageMagick ebuild.
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't use laptop, just CRT, and had the same effect when using sub-pixel rendering. Changing it into other RGB-formats made some difference, but not too much.

I think the final result when using subp rend. depends highly on your LCD (or CRT ) device. I just disabled it, without it everything looks fine. Try yourself, too - maybe normal antialisaing shoudl give you a good result.

(Just a thinking: maybe it should occur only with your LCD only with your currently used resolution. Try another resolution, LCD's fix pixel width can give, erhm, funny results.)

Regards,
Sipi
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm using a CRT"

...then why use subpixel-hinting? AFAIK CRT's have their RGB-thingies placed in such a manner that subpixel-hinting becomes a waste of resources. :wink:
Sipi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use it, just tried. :D And got these reb-blue-green thingies. And searching for help I've realized, that sub-pixel hinting is not a must-have solution. It should improve visuality, but maybe not. And you have to try which one fits better.
(Look for Windows: on some laptops with ClearType enabled (or whatever Win-thing is equal with Linux-style sub-pixel hinting), I saw terrible visuality. Some not. 8O )

Sipi
enz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the info. I just went ahead and turned off the sub-pixel rendering as that seems to yield the best results.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: