[SOLVED]pdflush high cpu usage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]pdflush high cpu usage Reply with quote

Sometimes my system freezes. When I look with the command 'top' it shows that pdflush is causing the high cpu usage. What does this process do? And what can I do to get this process back to normal?

Last edited by Kasumi_Ninja on Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, it's a kernel thread that's part of the disk-writing chain. When you're under high disk write load, you should see it start to use a large[r] amount of processor - how much that is depends on your chipset and setup.

As far as solution, I'm clueless - unless there's a bug in your specific kernel (what are you running?) with your specific hardware, pdflush doesn't do much until another process tells it to.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traced this problem back to hdparm not being enabeled in my kernelconfig. I recompiled the kernel with these instructions: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_DMA_and_you and all works now :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: