Routing ALSA Output back to input
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AeroIllini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Routing ALSA Output back to input Reply with quote

A howto/"is it possible" question.

I would like to set up a device in my .asoundrc that redirects the output of a program to the microphone input on the sound card, with full mixing. In other words: I would like to set up a pcm.IOmixer device and point XMMS to use the IOmixer device instead of the default ALSA device. Then when I play sound from XMMS, the microphone would be picking up a mixture of the XMMS output and whatever sounds are coming through the microphone. Then any device listening on the microphone channel would hear both. Ideally, the XMMS would also be played in the speakers (headphones only, to prevent feedback).

I've heard mention of using JACK, but I really don't want to pipe audio between programs, I just want to send it back to the soundcard. Is this possible in .asoundrc? If not, is it possible in JACK? How would it be done?

Thanks in advance.
AeroIllini
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it's not the pure software solution I was looking for, but I solved this issue.

I just plugged the speaker output directly into the microphone input on my soundcard. Nothing beats a good physical loopback cable.

However, now I'm noticing that when I'm using my microphone (without loopback), there's a lot of hissing when I say certain words, like those with the letter s. Is there a way for me to adjust equalization settings on the microphone input for all of ALSA? I'd love to be able to pull out the very high end frequencies as I record, so it happens in realtime. It will make my VoIP calls a lot clearer, too.
Coltie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'n not sure to understand what you need, but you've better look to Jack. Look at the JackEQ or Jamin for equalization and xmms-jack plugin.

And if the aim is to record what you're listening from xmms+your voice, then just plug your virutal cable with Qjackctl and record with timemachine or whatever.

Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: