Going from FC5 to Gentoo tonight...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrandonF
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Going from FC5 to Gentoo tonight... Reply with quote

I've gotten all the way through the installation process except for one thing. I'm confused about the end of it. I have three partitions: one NTFS for Windows, one for Linux (currently FC5), and one for swap space. The only thing I want to do is replace FC5 with Gentoo, I don't want to change the other two partitions (especially not Windows, the rest of my family still needs it). Anyway, when I'm setting up my partitions, can I just change the Linux one by the mount point and set it to "/"? Will that erase JUST THAT partition? The only reason I'm worried about it changing the others is that at the very end, when it gives an overview of everything, the Windows partition shows up on the list (all of them show up). It just says that it's an NTFS partition, and everything in the parenthesis says "none."
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, welcome to the forum! :)

are you installing your system with the graphical installer?

I'd really recommend you to use the minimal installation cd. you'll have to install your system manually that way, but you'll learn tons more.

everything should be explained in the gentoo handbook.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
zietbukuel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to Gentoo!

First, don't worry about your ntfs partition, it won't be touched if you don't tell the partition tool you are using to do so. If you want to replace FC5 with Gentoo just boot into the livecd(minimal or grafical, it doesn't matter) and install Gentoo manually using the handbook, as cyblord said, you'll learn a lot more this way than using the graphical installer.
Good luck!! :wink:
BrandonF
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm not using the graphical installer because that won't work. After I boot up the LiveCD (the 697mb one, not minimal) it goes through a little bit in the CLI then tries to load X. It gives me some error so I just leave that and type `installer' to install with the command line. But does that mean X probably won't work once I get Gentoo installed?
BrandonF
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I've got a problem. I got Gentoo installed alright the first time, but I picked Grub as my bootloader and it didn't detect my Windows partition. So I reinstalled it and picked Lilo, which detects it, but X won't work. I can't get Gentoo to be graphical, which is a big problem. When I first boot it up, it gives me an error about it. Then I log in in the command line, and type startx, but it gives me another error.
zietbukuel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, add these line to your /boot/grub/grub.conf

Code:

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader + 1
makeactive
boot

Install grub and run grub-install /dev/hda (assuming you have an IDE drive)
Do you have X installed? what error do you recieve?... You have to manually and configure install X.
BrandonF
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think I have X installed, but I'll try to emerge it manually and see what happens. If that doesn't work...I guess I'll have to reinstall again. Oh and the error I got was just that X failed to load.
thorpe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If that doesn't work...I guess I'll have to reinstall again.

Why would you need to reinstall?

Be aware that Gentoo doesn't install X by default. A base Gentoo system really is just that, a base. Very minimal. Unlike FC5 which will hold your hand.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: