[SOLVED] Mysql/MS access compatibility?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lithium3141
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Mysql/MS access compatibility? Reply with quote

I have a database that's been steadily growing in size for a couple weeks now, and I need to package up all that data and send it to a friend. The only problem is that he uses MS Access and I've been using MySQL 4.1.19. Is there a way (using mysqldump or another freely available Linux-based program) to either export the MySQL db in such a way that it's Access-readable or to write an Access database directly? I've googled around for various methods of doing so, but all the converters I've seen are crippleware until I pay a fee. Any thoughts?

Last edited by lithium3141 on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
savage
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would look into writing a CSV file and then import that into access.... Unless you can access your (mysql) database from windows - in which case you can use an ODBC connection to an access file and read from your mysql server and write to the access database....
coutts99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try connecting to your database in Access via an ODBC connection, then exporting the data from Access itself?

Dunno been a while since I played with Access and mySQL.
lithium3141
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's always an option, but I was hoping I could find something that doesn't require a direct link between his computer and mine. The MySQL database is in such a place that getting a MyODBC connection would be more hassle than it's worth.

I've recently discovered the magic of SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE, which generates a comma-separated values file. Can Access work with those in a reasonable fashion? What would be the best way to export 80 tables, each with 700+ records, into CSV file(s)?
JeliJami
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lithium3141 wrote:
I guess that's always an option, but I was hoping I could find something that doesn't require a direct link between his computer and mine. The MySQL database is in such a place that getting a MyODBC connection would be more hassle than it's worth.

MySQL is available for MS Windows.
lithium3141
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to go there. The end goal is to get the database converted and readable on Access on Windows without installing any additional software on the guy's computer, including Windows ports of MySQL, MyODBC, or anything else. Good idea though, thanks.
lithium3141
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved the problem. I used the following PHP script to export the contents of each table into a text file:

Code:
<?php
        $conn = mysql_connect("localhost","user","pass");
        mysql_select_db("db",$conn);
        $tables = mysql_query("SHOW TABLES;",$conn);
        while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($tables)) {
                $tablename = $row['Tables_in_db'];
                mysql_query("SELECT '$tablename',field1,field2 INTO OUTFILE /tmp/$tablename.txt FROM $tablename;",$conn);
        }
        mysql_close($conn);
?>

Then just
Code:
cat /tmp/*.txt >> /root/alldata.txt
to have one large file with all the data. The '$tablename' in the PHP script adds the name of the table to the beginning of each line in each text file, so when they're all concatenated together, we can still figure out which piece of data came from which table. Emailed it off and it worked like a charm :) Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: