Installing 32-bit libraries for second life
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnovek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Installing 32-bit libraries for second life Reply with quote

After some experimentation, I've found that the Linux Second Life alpha links libdb-4.2.so. Since the Second Life alpha is compiled for a 32-bit machine, it needs to link to a 32-bit library. It seems that I lack that library ('ls /usr/lib32/ | grep libdb' gives me nothing), but have the 64-bit version installed. 'emerge db' just installs the 64-bit version.

I've tried to do a bit of research here, but the Gentoo docs are disappointingly sparse. The only useful snippet seems to be from the "Gentoo AMD64 FAQ" ( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml ) stating in the question, "What is Multilib and How can I Use It?":

Quote:
You can, however, natively run 32-bit applications if all shared libraries it needs are available as 32-bit objects. You can choose whether you want multilib support or not by selecting the according profile. The default is a multilib-enabled profile.

However, I can't seem to determine if my selected profile has multilib enabled... apparently not, since it hasn't been dutifully compiling all my libraries as 64- AND 32-bit objects. Furthermore, I cannot figure out which profile will compile 32-bit libraries, if I have to do something special to do so, etc.

I would love a link to good docs that I've missed, but anyone who needs to accompany it with non-helpful comments like, "RTFM" can keep their links to themselves.

Thanks!

Jason
Strowi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

you can check your USE-Flags for "mulitlib" in /etc/make.conf.
Furthermore you should check the app-emulation/emul-packages, which contain the 32bit on 64bit stuff.
Also here is the AMD64-FAQ: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#emul32 (just one step above multlib)

As it tells, the app-emulation/emul-* packages are emerged as dependencies by 32bit-packages like firefox-bin or mplayer-bin. If you install software without an ebuild, you have to emerge them by hand...
jnovek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strowi wrote:
hi,

you can check your USE-Flags for "mulitlib" in /etc/make.conf.
Furthermore you should check the app-emulation/emul-packages, which contain the 32bit on 64bit stuff.
Also here is the AMD64-FAQ: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#emul32 (just one step above multlib)

As it tells, the app-emulation/emul-* packages are emerged as dependencies by 32bit-packages like firefox-bin or mplayer-bin. If you install software without an ebuild, you have to emerge them by hand...

Thanks for the speedy response!

I do have mplayer-bin installed, so I can watch .wmv's. I did check the "emul" packages at your suggestion, just to be sure; they are installed. I added the "multilib" flag to my USE the other day... no difference when I try to install db. Further, if I do an 'emerge -pv db' I get:

Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/db-4.3.29  USE="-bootstrap -doc -java -nocxx -tcltk" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

...Which doesn' t even list multilib as a possible USE flag!

Jason
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: