View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tejecske
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reiserfs4 Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
wilf wrote:
Hello,

I am doing a couple of 2006.0 installs soon and I'd like to use Reiserfs4.

Although I can see that some people are using Gentoo with Reiserfs4, there doesn't seem to be much on the wiki. Does anyone have a useful howto they'd like to share? It'll probably save me a lot of time.

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards, Paul.

Listen to my advice, Reiser4 is still being constantly changed and developed, it is unstable, and you will at some point in time lose some data. It also starts out fast, and quickly becomes fragmented and slow.

Use something quick and reliable like:

ext3 or reiserfs

Follow the below guide, and your ext3 will perform even better.
Some ext3 filesystem tips

maybe even xfs, if you are feeling froggy, recent benchmarks shows xfs to be a very good filesystem

Usually people will say, "well, i've been using reiser4 for X amount of time and no problems. That only because it hasn't happened to them yet, once it does, they'll be talking just like I am.

Thats bullshit, I had ext3. My fs got corrupted, I lost half of my files. Now I use reiser4, I don't have any problems.
(there is possibly some kind of problem with my machine, because i have random lockups and reboots, but ext3 died because of this, reiser4 can live with it)

Last edited by tejecske on Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess whether you use reiser4 or ext3, depends on if you are in a production server environment. Try to explain this to your VP's, "I decided to go with Reiser4, even though it is still in constant developement, that's why all of your documents and data are corrupt". Would you truly choose Reiser4 if your job depended on it? I am not going to make another reiser4 post, I didn't mean to start a flame war, opinions are only opinions, it's not like I said something against a religion. I am a Systems Administrator for a college, my servers need to be stable, that is the reason for my attitudes on things like that. On my desktop on the other hand, I've played around with Reiser4, and it was alright, though, latencies were higher than with ext3. but we all have our preferences, some geeks even still use ext2 for some reason or another.

Last edited by vipernicus on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xithix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on purpose and hardware. Saying "You ARE going to lose data! For sure! Others who claim they've been using it for years just haven't had their failure yet .. but they will!" is bollocks. The filesystem is stable. The disabled-by-default plugins (such as the cryptocompress one) are unstable. The kernels with reiser4 patches are often unstable (like mm-sources). The "development" on reiser4 you speak of is primarily on the plugins, and on the coding style, not on the base filesystem. Neither effect the base filesystem.

Would I use reiser4 on a production server? It depends. If the biggest concern is uptime and the infrastructure is flaky (say, a web server located in parts of Asia where power spikes are frequent) I would definitely use reiser4 (and a UPS). If the data stored was mission critical (say, a computer storing a bank's financial records, or a remote backup rsync server), I would use ext3.

Why Reiser4 on the uptime box? Because of its atomic nature. Journals are great, but you still need to fsck an ext3 partition a lot more than a reiser4 partition if something wonky happens to it. Reiser4's journal AND atomic writes makes it virtually impossible to require a fsck.

Why ext3 on the mission critical data box? Say something happens to the hard drives, physically, like an earthquake. This will corrupt ANY file system. But there are recovery tools for ext3. I don't foresee recovery tools popping up for reiser4 any time soon, so if there's data that NEEDS to be there which was written AFTER the most recent backup, ext3 is much more likely to be able to recover it.

I have no idea why people still use ext2 at all. Ext3 is exactly the same, but with a journal.
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually and by far the most reliable fs still is XFS, it's the most tested at this time, but people are often astonished by it's agressive deletion policy on recovery : as it is not atomic, file that were succeptible to be modified are deleted to prevent the existence of "Frankenstein" files.

Imagine that a file is spread over 3 logical blocks and you were just updating it when the crash / power failure happened (let's say only the half of the file was updated : here are the different policies :

XFS : this file is suspicious, let's delete it.
Reiser4 : Let's restore the file as it was before attempting to update it.
ext3/reiser-3.6 : the file is correct why shouldn't it be?

So imagine it's xorg.conf

XFS : X won't start because there is no xorg.conf FIY (FS integrity ok)
reiser4 : X would probably start and the probability of a new version of xorg (let's say we were updating it) not being with the old xorg.conf are feeble (fdon't know about integrity)
r-3.6/ext3 : xorg may start or atrocely die. || FS may be integrally corrupted

Now let's say it was a kernel update (or a module or whatever than can execute code in ring 0) and imagine the worst scenario :

XFS : no kernel, no boot FIY...
R-4 : boot normally with the old kernel and as you can't update glibc against an upper version than the one currently running there should be no problem
ext3/r-3.6 : triple fault severe damages to the hardware etc...

Now imagine that the administrator was drunk and ran the command that he shouldn't have (i.e. formated the disk as NTFS while booting on it's window partition):

R-4 : you're pretty fscked
XFS : mkfs.xfs $device && xfs repair $ device ==> at least 80% of your datas back
ext3/r-3.6 : ... don't know

So it's a matter of choice...

Last edited by Enlight on Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Reiserfs4 Reply with quote

tejecske wrote:
(there is possibly some kind of problem with my machine, because i have random lockups and reboots, but ext3 died because of this, reiser4 can live with it)

That's why you have backups. And memtest. And cpuburn. And stress. And...

FF,

Daniel
tejecske
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reiserfs4 Reply with quote

tuam wrote:
tejecske wrote:

That's why you have backups. And memtest. And cpuburn. And stress. And...

FF,

Daniel

yes, i probably need the and... s, because memtest finds no errors after a half day long running and my cpu is around 40 °C

Last edited by tejecske on Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
wilf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am really grateful for all comments - both for and against.

So thanks.

You've all enabled me to make my own decision - and to make a far better quality decision than I would have been able to do before asking.

Best Regards, Paul.
azazello
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used reiser4 as my main filesystem for a while recently. For a few months, it was all good and pretty fast. Then I had a crash and it refused to mount or automatically fsck, which forced me to boot from another disk, but fsck fixed it. Finally I had a program fill the filesystem to full capacity, and not only did the kernel panic, it generated errors in the filesystem which were unfixable with fsck.reiser4. Thankfully it was still mountable despite the errors. At that point I decided to cut my losses and shuffled the system back to ext3.

I think reiser4 needs to see a few months in the mainline kernel before it becomes stable enough for general use.

Quote:
You should ALWAYS put /boot on a separate partition than / I hate separate partitions, and it took a system failure (not due to reiser4, mind you) to get me to start using them. If you use reiser4 on / as I do, you must separate /boot to another partition, because grub and reiser4 don't play along nice.

I agree with the second point (grub and reiser4 don't mix well). The first point? If your system is broken, what's the difference between booting from a bootcd and possibly being able to boot from a boot partition? I dislike having to maintain a separate boot partition (and inevitably forgetting to mount it when updating a kernel).
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azazello wrote:
I have used reiser4 as my main filesystem for a while recently. For a few months, it was all good and pretty fast. Then I had a crash and it refused to mount or automatically fsck, which forced me to boot from another disk, but fsck fixed it. Finally I had a program fill the filesystem to full capacity, and not only did the kernel panic, it generated errors in the filesystem which were unfixable with fsck.reiser4. Thankfully it was still mountable despite the errors. At that point I decided to cut my losses and shuffled the system back to ext3.

I think reiser4 needs to see a few months in the mainline kernel before it becomes stable enough for general use.

So someone else can find the bug you didn't report?
tejecske
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azazello wrote:

...and it should become stable enough for general use before in can even put it's leg into the mainline kernel...

trap#22
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
So someone else can find the bug you didn't report?

You are using an assumption on the poor guy. And you know what 'assume' mean...
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
Usually people will say, "well, i've been using reiser4 for X amount of time and no problems. That only because it hasn't happened to them yet, once it does, they'll be talking just like I am.

Good job I have solid backups. I've been using R4 for about 3yrs so that fatal moment must be just around the corner. 8O

now you're telling us that we should use reiserfs, that it does not fragment , that it's fast LOL

xfs is very performant (or so you've read) ? Under a very specific set of conditions outside of which it's a dog.

Thank you for your very informative post back there. Until I read it I had been inclined to treat your posts seriously. I now know better. You may well have saved me some time.

The one outstanding arguement I have in favour of ext3 for root fs is that it has space reserved for system, so if you cant organise youself so that "some program" runs off and fills up a directory you have attached to root, the system does not go unstable, this is a solid reason to use ext3. It's a shame all fs dont operate this policy on root.

Personally I prefer to put /home and portage_tmpdir and other potencial big disk users somewhere else so I can benefit from the robust features of R4 on root without it getting jammed full and crashing the system.

Hopfully one day all fs will have some reserved space and it will be a fixed size relating to the needs of the system rather than an arbitary 5% which is a huge allocation on modern drives.

In the mean time I continue to use R4 for root and do a regular cp to a spare partition. This provides both a backup and a defrag.

This week I had the system hit a forced thermal shutdown during emerge gcc. I was able to reboot and resume with FEATURES="keepwork" without even running fsck.

This plus frequent power outs has proved to me the value and robustness of this fs.

YMMV 8)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:

This week I had the system hit a forced thermal shutdown during emerge gcc. I was able to reboot and resume with FEATURES="keepwork" without even running fsck.

This plus frequent power outs has proved to me the value and robustness of this fs.

YMMV 8)

until now I (almost) never had to run fsck,

beginning with the newer kernels (>=2.6.19) it got even better: no fsck until now :D

and as you already wrote: it's wise to have backups & your important data on partitions with other filesystems

all & all I completely agree with you

hopefully reiser4 will get some little more features (ACL; quotas ..) & make it in the kernel with the next big release >=2.6.21 *fingers crossed*

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

until now I (almost) never had to run fsck,

beginning with the newer kernels (>=2.6.19) it got even better: no fsck until now :D

and as you already wrote: it's wise to have backups & your important data on partitions with other filesystems

all & all I completely agree with you

hopefully reiser4 will get some little more features (ACL; quotas ..) & make it in the kernel with the next big release >=2.6.21 *fingers crossed*

The only thime I've had to run fsck was when I was stupid and I allowed my root filesystem to run out of space. When it tried to write to it some blocks got borked. Running fsck.reiser4 with --build-fs fixed the problem with zero data loss. Now I use conky to always display how much space I have left so I don't tempt fate again, but I have all my important data on DVD's anyway so if disaster happens I'm ready. No filesystem is foolproof so backups are a really good idea, but R4 has been awesome. If nothing else it's totally worth puting /usr/portage on reiser4 because it so freakin' fast processing all those small files.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep , it seems to be a weakness not having a reserve for sys. It's (nearly) always user error when it happens and R4 recovers well when it happens but a safety net would be a good feature since it can prevent the need to shut the system down to fix the problem.

maybe this should be put forward as an official request to Andrew Morton.

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: