Metisse and Gnome - X11 Guru needed!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K T A
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Metisse and Gnome - X11 Guru needed! Reply with quote

Hello,

some days ago I hit a linux newssite and was struck by the latest metisse release http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/ since there is a Mandriva Live CD with it I gave it a try. Ok, I was worth a closer look so I made it work with the overlay from Hanno Boeck. Well it works if started via console - but its just running in a window. As I understand it on the Mandriva Live CD Metisse is running with Gnome - while Metisse uses a modified version of the FVWM and Gnome uses this modified FVWM as replacement of Metacity. Now here it comes: How do I get all this to work together ( similar to the Live CD)? The Metisse doc just gives this:

Quote:
Using Metisse as your default environment

Running Metisse inside your usual desktop environment is likely to cause problems at some point because of conflicting mouse or key bindings. Once a convinced Metisse user, you might want to replace your original desktop with a Metisse-based one.

A simple way of doing this for old-style people who still use startx is to put something like this in your .xinitrc file (rxvt could be replaced by xterm or any other terminal application):

Xmetisse -ac -depth 16 -geometry 1680x1050 :1 >& .Xmetisse-log &
metisse-start-fvwm >& .compositor-log &
rxvt # this will allow you to terminate this session by typing "exit" and to
# restart the compositor using metisse-start-fvwm if it ever crashes
killall Xmetisse

Your local X11 guru might be able to figure out a similar solution if you're using a display manager (e.g. KDM or GDM).

Note that although the Metisse compositor is currently implemented as an FVWM module, the system is desktop agnostic. People interested in using a particular environment (e.g. GNOME, KDE) are invited to contribute the necessary configuration files or scripts.

At this point I have to admit I'm not a X11 guru :oops: but I would like to get it to work. Since I'm using Gnome I guess I have to make it start using the modified FVWM and then bring metisse up in some way. But even after a searching-spree I'm unable to melt all into a working solution.

Ideas and comments are very much wanted.

KTA
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Metisse and Gnome - X11 Guru needed! Reply with quote

K T A wrote:

At this point I have to admit I'm not a X11 guru :oops: but I would like to get it to work. Since I'm using Gnome I guess I have to make it start using the modified FVWM and then bring metisse up in some way. But even after a searching-spree I'm unable to melt all into a working solution.

Well, Metisse is just FVWM started with a module and a custom config. Given that, embedding it under GNOME is no more a matter of kicking Metacity out of the way. Look at what the metisse-start-fvwm file is doing to load metisse.

-- Thomas Adam
K T A
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer, what a coincidence! When I saw your post I was just reading your article at http://linuxgazette.net/100/adam.html :)
I will have to digest that and do a little fooling around...

KTA
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Unsupported Software.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: