LVM b0rked
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: LVM b0rked Reply with quote

I have 2.4.20-openmosix-r2 kernel installed and LVM compiled into the kernel. I have VG data in which I have /home and /var partitions as LVs. Now I had some 700 MB of unpartitioned space in that VG I planned to use for snapshots to backup my data. Of course this was a good idea, but bad result.

What i did: I created a snapshot volume:
Code:
lvcreate -l 151 -s -n backup /dev/data/home

and mounted it into /mnt/bkp/home. Then I backed it up using rsync. All was still fine. This is the good part, I've got backups.

Now I tried to remove the lv and all #$* broke loose. lvremove seg faulted. I'm using LVM tools version 1.0.7. It did remove the special device from the /dev/data but did not free the space allocated for it in the VG. Also lot's of tools seem to hang and always because of the following:
Code:
lvm_get_iop_version -- LEAVING with ret: 10

which according to man pages indicates
Code:
10 error removing logical volume from kernel

Now it seems my metadata is corrupted but I do have backups in /etc/lvmconf. But you can't do vgcfgrestore while VG is active. And vgchange will hang because of the above. So I take it, it won't reboot either.

I have /home shared by nfs. Might that be the prob? I'm totally puzzled, any help is appreciated.
okun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Replication Reply with quote

I tried to replicate this using a laptop with linux-2.4.19-gentoo-r10 and the same version of tools (1.0.7) but it did not fail. It removed the lv succesfully. This little piece of information might help a bit solving the origin.
okun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: LVM recovered Reply with quote

As the night fell, I dared to reboot the system, ready to work all night to get it right. Well the job was easier than I thought. Just rebooted and used lvremove. This time it didn't hang or seg fault or anything. All went smoothly. What a relief... :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: