Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XGL (Part 5)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:
Been there done that.... I am not the only one who has noticed this.... look back about 10-12 posts.

I have played with gcompizthemer and gset-compiz and gconf-editor. the white outline is still there.

Okay, FWIW I'm running CVS (compiz-quinnstorm-9999), not the .11 release, so maybe this is something that has been fixed since .11 came out. What DE are you running under, Gnome, KDE or something else? I'm running under Gnome and I have seen no such problem here. Also, I did a quick search of the compiz forums and didn't see any references to "white outlines", though of course someone else might have run into this and described the problem differently. It may be something specific to Gentoo, or to xgl-coffee, but a little more information about your setup would be helpful.
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
beatryder wrote:
Been there done that.... I am not the only one who has noticed this.... look back about 10-12 posts.

I have played with gcompizthemer and gset-compiz and gconf-editor. the white outline is still there.

Okay, FWIW I'm running CVS (compiz-quinnstorm-9999), not the .11 release, so maybe this is something that has been fixed since .11 came out. What DE are you running under, Gnome, KDE or something else? I'm running under Gnome and I have seen no such problem here. Also, I did a quick search of the compiz forums and didn't see any references to "white outlines", though of course someone else might have run into this and described the problem differently. It may be something specific to Gentoo, or to xgl-coffee, but a little more information about your setup would be helpful.

running KDE 3.5.3/KDM, Xorg 7.0

Anything else you need to know? I will try the CVS
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well the 9999 version fails to build....

Quote:

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-9999 to /
>>> checking ebuild checksums ;-)
>>> checking auxfile checksums ;-)
>>> checking miscfile checksums ;-)
>>> Unpacking source...
* Fetching CVS module compiz into /usr/portage/distfiles/cvs-src ...
* Changing the CVS server from :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/xorg to :pserver:anonymous@metascape.afraid.org:/cvsroot:
* Searching for CVS directories ...
* Modifying CVS directories ...
* Running cvs -q -f -z4 -d ":pserver:anonymous:@metascape.afraid.org:/cvsroot" login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@metascape.afraid.org:2401/cvsroot
* Running cvs -q -f -z4 -d ":pserver:anonymous@metascape.afraid.org:/cvsroot" update -dP compiz
cvs update: cannot open directory /cvsroot/app/compiz: No such file or directory
cvs update: skipping directory compiz
* Copying compiz from /mnt/sda6/portage/distfiles/cvs-src ...
* CVS module compiz is now in /var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-9999/work
* Applying compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch ...

* Failed Patch: compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch !
* ( /mnt/sda6/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch )
* Include in your bugreport the contents of:
* /var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-9999/temp/compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch-2040.out

!!! ERROR: x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-9999 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1545: Called dyn_unpack
ebuild.sh, line 711: Called src_unpack
compiz-quinnstorm-9999.ebuild, line 55: Called epatch '/mnt/sda6/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch'
eutils.eclass, line 335: Called die

!!! Failed Patch: compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch!
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

!!! This ebuild is from an overlay: '/usr/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl'
Septu ryan # cat /var/tmp/portage/compiz-quinnstorm-9999/temp/compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch-2040.out
***** compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch *****

================================================

PATCH COMMAND: patch -p0 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /mnt/sda6/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch

can't find file to patch at input line 3
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- compiz.service 2006-06-16 16:42:01.000000000 -0400
|+++ compiz.service 2006-06-16 17:24:00.335708060 -0400
No file to patch. Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored

PATCH COMMAND: patch -p1 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /mnt/sda6/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch

missing header for unified diff at line 3 of patch
1 out of 1 hunk ignored

PATCH COMMAND: patch -p2 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /mnt/sda6/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch

1 out of 1 hunk ignored

PATCH COMMAND: patch -p3 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /mnt/sda6/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch

1 out of 1 hunk ignored

PATCH COMMAND: patch -p4 -g0 -E --no-backup-if-mismatch < /mnt/sda6/portage/local/layman/portage-xgl/x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm/files/compiz-quinnstorm-dbus.service.patch

1 out of 1 hunk ignored

sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:

Quinn runs KDE, so that shouldn't be the issue. Just to be sure, you're running gcompizthemer-0.7, which is the matching version to compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.11, right? Also, what versions of Xgl and mesa are you running? I'm at xgl-0.0.1_p20060619-r2 and mesa-6.5.1_alpha20060708.

If you run gconf-editor, do your settings for the decorator plugin include "window_frame_halo" and "use_new_decor"?
DaNe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: dock and minwin Reply with quote

i have the x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.11 and i dont have the minwin or either the dock plugin and i want to try at least the dock plugin.
what should i do? emerge the cvs?

sorry but im a kind a noob in xgl
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
beatryder wrote:

Quinn runs KDE, so that shouldn't be the issue. Just to be sure, you're running gcompizthemer-0.7, which is the matching version to compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.11, right? Also, what versions of Xgl and mesa are you running? I'm at xgl-0.0.1_p20060619-r2 and mesa-6.5.1_alpha20060708.

If you run gconf-editor, do your settings for the decorator plugin include "window_frame_halo" and "use_new_decor"?

The white line is not the halo, checked that also checked the active_window_highlight it changes the top, and left sides, but not the right and bottom...

Code:

x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_p20060619-r2
x11-misc/gcompizthemer-0.7
x11-misc/gset-compiz-0.3.4
media-libs/mesa-6.5.1_alpha20060708

I am also running the binary ATI drivers if that helps at all
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: dock and minwin Reply with quote

DaNe wrote:
i have the x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.11 and i dont have the minwin or either the dock plugin and i want to try at least the dock plugin.

What is this "dock" plugin you speak of?
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:

I just rebuilt compiz-quinnstorm to see if there was a problem, but the patch you had a problem with applies cleanly here. Make sure you delete the contents of $DISTDIR/cvs-src (which is /usr/portage/distfiles/cvs-src unless you've changed it in make.conf) and try it again.
DaNe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: dock and minwin Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:
DaNe wrote:

What is this "dock" plugin you speak of?

a image:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5525/1331/1600/dock.png

the site:
http://compiz.blogspot.com/2006/06/dock.html
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
beatryder wrote:

I just rebuilt compiz-quinnstorm to see if there was a problem, but the patch you had a problem with applies cleanly here. Make sure you delete the contents of $DISTDIR/cvs-src (which is /usr/portage/distfiles/cvs-src unless you've changed it in make.conf) and try it again.

That worked.... should have thought of that...
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: dock and minwin Reply with quote

DaNe wrote:

I believe these are no longer built because of their instability. Quinn indicated they would be included again after their developer had more time to fix their problems.

Edit: Just to be clear, the code for dock and miniwin are included in CVS, but there are no configure options to enable them so you would have to check out cvs manually, build the two plugins manually and copy them to the appropriate lib directories. Which is a lot of work for plugins that in their current state are noted for crashing compiz.
DaNe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tks a lot
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:
sternklang wrote:
beatryder wrote:

That worked.... should have thought of that...

Well, it compiled... however the white outline is still there... and I was wrong, it is the halo....

The gcompizthemer needs to be updated, changing the "Window border" property does not change it. Is it possible a remerge could fix it?
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:
Well, it compiled... however the white outline is still there... and I was wrong, it is the halo....

The gcompizthemer needs to be updated, changing the "Window border" property does not change it. Is it possible a remerge could fix it?

I was able to duplicate your problem by downgrading to 0.0.13.11, and upgrading back to 9999 did not get rid of it. The problem seems to be this combination of settings in decorator: active_window_highlight (#ffffff = white), active_window_hightlight_alpha (1 = fully opaque) and the equivalent inactive_window_* settings. Changing the highlight_alpha setting to 0 gets rid of the white border entirely. The setting didn't take effect for me until I restarted compiz, which just meant re-running the compizrc script -- I don't know what the equivalent KDE script is.

I haven't played with it yet, but I imagine some combination of changing the color to something a little darker than pure white and the opacity to something semi-translucent would also do the trick, but making it invisible works for me right now. I don't see any settings in gcompizthemer for this, unless the "Outer Blend" settings are supposed to do something with this -- in which case it doesn't work. :wink:
dorris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
You need Compiz, I think, to run after you start Xgl. Starting Xgl is like just starting X, all you'll get is the cursor on a checkered background. I followed the below link to get mine working, had absolutely no problems (surprised me how easy it was, actually).

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Xgl

thats exactly the problem, I assume when it does what its supposed to, I will get that checkered background, in my case, it does nothing, does not open any new window, Xgl is simply started with no result
Specter64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the quinnstorm spicific compiz plugins? and what do they do?
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
beatryder wrote:

I was able to duplicate your problem by downgrading to 0.0.13.11, and upgrading back to 9999 did not get rid of it. The problem seems to be this combination of settings in decorator: active_window_highlight (#ffffff = white), active_window_hightlight_alpha (1 = fully opaque) and the equivalent inactive_window_* settings. Changing the highlight_alpha setting to 0 gets rid of the white border entirely. The setting didn't take effect for me until I restarted compiz, which just meant re-running the compizrc script -- I don't know what the equivalent KDE script is.

I haven't played with it yet, but I imagine some combination of changing the color to something a little darker than pure white and the opacity to something semi-translucent would also do the trick, but making it invisible works for me right now. I don't see any settings in gcompizthemer for this, unless the "Outer Blend" settings are supposed to do something with this -- in which case it doesn't work. :wink:

for me I just restart X, which does the same thing....
I am glad to see that I am not crazy, and that I am not the only one seeing this "feature" now :p
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:
I am glad to see that I am not crazy, and that I am not the only one seeing this "feature" now :p

Yes, you're not crazy :) . Did changing the setting as I described get rid of the white outlines for you?

It's interesting that only when I switched to the .11 release did this manifest itself -- running quinnstorm CVS, I never saw this problem before. I don't know if coffee or nesl247 or roderick are reading this, but if so is there any chance the coffeebuzz version of .11 is incorrectly setting these gconf keys? I only ask because there are no reports of this problem on the compiz forums. And it is very noticable when it happens, so I can't imagine that if others were seeing this there would be no complaints.
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
beatryder wrote:

Yes, you're not crazy :) . Did changing the setting as I described get rid of the white outlines for you?

It's interesting that only when I switched to the .11 release did this manifest itself -- running quinnstorm CVS, I never saw this problem before. I don't know if coffee or nesl247 or roderick are reading this, but if so is there any chance the coffeebuzz version of .11 is incorrectly setting these gconf keys? I only ask because there are no reports of this problem on the compiz forums. And it is very noticable when it happens, so I can't imagine that if others were seeing this there would be no complaints.

Your suggestion did in fact work out just fine... right now I am installing gnome in an attempt to "fully enjoy" XGL :p and to broaden my skills as I study for a Linux certification.
Kuhndog86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Strange issue with Xgl/Compiz and Reiser4 Reply with quote

Hi,

After over three days of pulling out my hair over this (i'm not quite bald yet though), I finally think I have located the source of a very strage issue that has been plauging me for over a week now. Whenever I try using emerge or any other utility written in python while running Xgl/Compiz, I get a Segmentation fault. Sometimes I can continue working normally, but most times the system hard-locks and I have to power off and back on. Here is the relevant section of a log:

Code:

Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa ----------- [cut here ] --------- [please bite here ] ---------
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa Kernel BUG at fs/inode.c:253
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa invalid opcode: 0000 [1] PREEMPT
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa CPU 0
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa Modules linked in: fglrx ndiswrapper
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa Pid: 14268, comm: emerge Tainted: P      2.6.16-suspend2-r7 #1
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa RIP: 0010:[<ffffffff80189859>] <ffffffff80189859>{clear_inode+19}
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa RSP: 0018:ffff810010ac5de8  EFLAGS: 00010202
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff8100282a33a8 RCX: ffff810010ac5d88
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffff8100289164f8 RDI: ffff8100282a33a8
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa RBP: ffff81005643e480 R08: ffff810010ac5d54 R09: 0000000028916000
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa R10: 0000000028916000 R11: ffff810010ac5db8 R12: ffff81000fd990c0
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa R13: ffff810056e6b700 R14: ffff810056e6b700 R15: ffff810055508000
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa FS:  00002b644313f070(0000) GS:ffffffff807d2000(0000) knlGS:00000000f7e7e6b0
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 000000008005003b
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa CR2: 000000000077b020 CR3: 0000000010ad7000 CR4: 00000000000006e0
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa Process emerge (pid: 14268, threadinfo ffff810010ac4000, task ffff81001180e990)
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa Stack: ffff8100282a33a8 ffffffff801e6d39 ffff81000fd990c0 ffff8100282a33a8
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa ffffffff801e6c89 ffffffff8018998c ffff8100282a33a8 ffff81003be39530
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa ffff81003be39530 ffffffff80187eb9
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa Call Trace: <ffffffff801e6d39>{reiser4_delete_inode+176}
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa <ffffffff801e6c89>{reiser4_delete_inode+0} <ffffffff8018998c>{generic_delete_inode+144}
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa <ffffffff80187eb9>{dput+424} <ffffffff80181b8b>{sys_renameat+394}
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa <ffffffff80140654>{sys_futex+193} <ffffffff8010a632>{system_call+126}
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa Code: 0f 0b 68 1e fd 54 80 c2 fd 00 48 8b 83 08 02 00 00 a8 10 75
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa RIP <ffffffff80189859>{clear_inode+19} RSP <ffff810010ac5de8>
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa <4>reiser4[emerge(14268)]: release_unix_file (fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:2293)[vs-44]:
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa WARNING: out of memory?
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa reiser4[emerge(14268)]: release_unix_file (fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:2293)[vs-44]:
Jul  7 22:07:21 AndrAIa reiser4[emerge(14268)]: release_unix_file (fs/reiser4/plugin/file/file.c:2293)[vs-44]:
Jul  7 22:07:26 AndrAIa logger: ACPI group processor / action processor is not defined

Now, before I get a bunch of "not my problem's" or "take it up with the reiser4 people," I would just like to say that I have tried it on 4 differant kernel versions, and two differant reiser4 patches which leads me to beleive that it probably isn't a kernel problem. Oh, and I am NOT out of memory. What leads me to beleive that this is a problem with Xgl/compiz is that:
A. I do not have this problem at all running standard X/Gnome (I am using emerge now even as I post stuff while running Gnome)
B. I have no problems emerging stuff from the console UNLESS Xgl/Compiz is running
C. It is not a memory problem. I ran memtest86+ overnight with zero errors
D. It is not a filesystem problem. I fsck'd my filesystems from a livecd and even after all of the hard reboots the fs checked out fine.

Has anybody else seen or experienced anything like this before?

Thanks,
Ben
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having an issue within xgl that i am not sure what the cause is. Maybe someone here will be able to help....

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3436918.html#3436918
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
beatryder wrote:

The ebuild shouldn't be the problem. No gconf settings are changed, only imported via the gnome2 eclass.
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
sternklang wrote:
beatryder wrote:

The ebuild shouldn't be the problem. No gconf settings are changed, only imported via the gnome2 eclass.

Not changed by the ebuild, but changed in the code of compiz, more settings are there, and the compizthemer does not account for them... however gconf-editor shows them.
CloudBolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right, I've narrowed my problem with gnome-window-decorator(GWD) randomly failing down to listen(the music player). Turns out that GWD only crashes whenever I start Listen. Listen starts fine, and compiz keeps running, with all the plugins, I just don't have any minimize/maximize/close buttons anymore. I'm using compiz-quinnstorm 0.0.13.11 and media-sound/listen(listen is ambiguous) 0.4.3
DOS is a boot partition virus.
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have this white border and haven't been able to get rid of it
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 16 of 37

Jump to: