View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Are there any known glitches in using the nvidia drivers wit Reply with quote

Are there any known glitches in using the nvidia drivers with an athlon64?
xorg-x11 6.8.2-r7

I have a mythtv box that I have finally dumped the old hardware due to a flakey cpu - new MB, RAM and CPU (3200+), but the original nvidia FX5200 which was working nicely.

Ive partially rebuilt all the packages using the athlon64 arch, but I am finding that starting X does not work - end up with a shut down monitor (overranged?) - if I exit back to a console (takes awhile) its pink! It returns to normal after a reboot.

BillK
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best route to take is a fresh install if you want 64 bit I'm afraid. You do get to re-use the source code though. Anyway, look in your X log - it might say why it is failing - as well as the usual dmesg and other logs.
billk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I do that when I have a perfectly good install now - this is not windows/redhat/debian etc.

I have updated gentoo through a large number of changes over the last 4(~) years without having to reinstall.

Its more a matter of identifying the problem (and this appears to be the only one!) and correcting it. Unfortuantely there appears to be no error messages in dmesg/xorg or messages which is why I am asking if its a known problem. Google hasnt helped much as there is too much irrelevant hits out there.

BillK
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend to keep a 32 bit o/s you won't need to reinstall... looking to go 64 bit though, a fresh install is recommended.
billk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reccomended by who? - Can you provide a reason why an emerge world -e is not sufficient? Particularly when its only a small part of the whole system thats not working (in either 32bit or 64 bit, with the new hardware)

I admit its possible to get mixed 32/64 support that may not work, but it should be possible to fix.

BillK
Griswold
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

64-bit will take advantage of your cpu and programs which support it. Ie. They will be faster. That said, I am not sure what the compatiblity is like at the moment with 64-bit. If you wish to upgrade for whatever reason, an emerge -e world will not be sufficent. Rebuild your toolchain w/ 64-bit compatibility first. The easiest way (but not most effienct) is to just 'emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world'. That should do it. Btw, that takes _more_ time than reinstalling does, course you can still use the computer in the mean time, and don't have to setup all your configs and everything. Hope this message is useful/helpful. And I wish you luck if you switch to 64-bit, and also if you just stay with 32-bit (which is perfectly OK).
billk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using gentoo for years (many) so emerge -e is no new thing. This system has already had multiple emerge -e's in order to get it 64bit. However, I think I have found the problem (still to confirm it).

The box is setup for mythtv and normally drives a television (xorg sets the videocard up correctly for a tv) - but the box sits behind a panel in the a/v setup and is inaccessible. So I hauled it off to the study and plugged in a standard monitor - and of course xorg is putting a tv format signal out the monitor connection.

I'll plug it into the tv tonight (~8 hrs away) and confirm it, but I am sure this is the problem.

BillK
billk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just commented out the TV settings in the xorg.conf, and its fine now!

Thanks for the hints, it got me thinking along the right track to find it - even though its a "no fault found", it took a lot of hours looking in the wrong places

Solved,

BillK
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: