Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Women
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um no

it still has to do with the topic

and what has christel to do with it
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get your stats saying that women only make up 30% of regular computer users? What are the categories? Men, Women, Minors, and Seniors/old people?

I know it's not about regular computer users EXACTLY, but I figure that the vast majority of regular computer users are regular internet users, and according to the bbc[1]:

Quote:
A study by the Pew Internet Project found that roughly the same percentage of men and women in the US are serious internet users.

But the research found that men value the net for the freedom it gives them to try new ways of doing things.

By contrast women like the opportunities the net gives them to make and maintain human connections.

Separate lives

The wide-ranging report from Pew dissected how men and women used the net and uncovered some striking differences.

One finding suggests that the number of women online already outnumbers that of men.

Figures gathered by Pew suggest that 68% of men are net users, compared to 66% of women. However, the total number of net-using women is higher because there are more women than men in the general US population.

In some sections of the population online, this divide is more pronounced. For instance 60% of black women are net users compared to 50% of black men.

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4555370.stm

Sorry to ruin your rant.
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has nothing to do with it

it's about how many are attracted to linux
occ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertaboy wrote:
Where do you get your stats saying that women only make up 30% of regular computer users?

Nowhere, the only time 30%ish was invoked was relative to the percentage of IT professional that are women.

bertaboy wrote:

Sorry to ruin your rant.

Who are you talking to ?
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Fedora Welcomes Women to FOSS Reply with quote

Quote:
"The Fedora Project, the project behind the Fedora Core Linux distribution, has introduced Fedora Women, a program to reach out to women who are interested in using and contributing to Fedora Core. This follows in the footsteps of LinuxChix, Debian Women, and Ubuntu Women and is part of a larger trend to support women in the FOSS world. At present, women are believed to make up only about 1.5% of the FOSS community. Is that finally set to change?"

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/29/1444223

BTW, don't mind the comments, it's Slashdot's general level of thinking (and pretty close to the level we're having here).
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats to the fedora peeps!
filterpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fedora Welcomes Women to FOSS Reply with quote

renrutal wrote:
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/29/1444223

BTW, don't mind the comments, it's Slashdot's general level of thinking (and pretty close to the level we're having here).

I gave up on finding any "insightful" commentary on Slashdot long ago. I met a kid during a class I took a few years ago who was heavily into the day-to-day happenings on Slashdot, as well as a contributor to Debian. Not only did he more than fit the stereotypical nerd/geek profile, he also continues to rank as one of the most obnoxious, close-minded people i've ever been around for an extended period of time. A couple years later, when I was still DJ'ing local clubs, I met a kid at a bus stop and happened to pass him a flyer for one of my nights. He too fit the stereotype, as well as topping the list of obnoxious people i've met. These two individuals could've been clones of one another, and i've continued to run into people like them on countless occasions. Looking at pictures from various events, I don't get the impression that they're exactly a rarity.

Encounters like this are exactly why i've been hesitant to get more involved in FOSS projects beyond being a user, and a large part of the reason so many women don't get actively involved. I mean, c'mon, if i'm put off by them as a male, does it seem likely that many women are going to want to work alongside them on something? I'd venture to guess that there actually are more women using Linux/BSD/*nix than statistics suggest, they're just not interested in the infantile crap that the communities are so rampant with, so their voices often go unheard.

Intelligence is not necessarily indicative of wisdom, let alone common sense, manners, or maturity.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a damn difficult thread to me. I can hardly express what I want to say. I hope I can get the message through.

I think that a wome project is a nice basic Idea but hmm too locked into a singular symthom.
I think that not only females are treated without respect sometimes. I made my switch with a Linux hipe and run into noob harasment right away in the Debian newsletter. Well actually it was not frealy harasment but I felt that way since I was quite overhelmed by the debian newsletter and did not know if I am doing the right thing. Which resulted in a dislike towards debian today.
So I think I have a hunch what it is like to build trust to a community if you have fears of whatever.

I think we do not need a Women-To-Trust-Project. We need a User-To-Trust-Project. I mean a place were people can go to and find first touch with people they can build trust onto without building a lot of curage to talk to them.
If someone presents herselfe there as mother of four children and gentoo fan, it might encourage a boy to adress her directly with his question because he needs a mother figure. (Okey maybe this is to abstract, but I hope you get the point, and the purpose) Then the mother could take some time and introduce him into the community. encourage him to step towards the forum mailing letter and stuff. Something like this I think would be great. 8)

I hope I have put something new to the discussion and the Idea is presented in a clear way :D
christel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!
I know it's been a while since I participated actively on this thread, in part it became a bit tedious and overrun with flames, in part we needed to step away and discuss how to proceed. On top of that, I've been pretty busy with real life stuff, updates of which I'm sure you'll find in my blog at some point! Oh feck it, it involves one of them... you know.. one of them men! ;)

Anyhow, we've had some time to look at the GW idea, we've read and re-read this thread, some people have raised valid concerns and we want to honour those, at the same time we really do believe that such a project could be of great benefit to Gentoo the distribution, the developer and the user community, the wider Linux and FOSS communities and the women involved, we are therefor exploring the possible roads we can take from here and we're about to send the ball rolling.

A few of you showed interest in participating, and I'd love for those of you who did to get in touch. (women@gentoo.org should reach project members, christel@gentoo.org reaches me). I've also made a small announcement post here on the forums and you can check it out here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-489007.html

Again, thank you all for your replies, both positive, negative or even those who were quite indifferent to the project. We've had a lot of feedback, and although the majority has been positive we're just as glad to have had some of you raise concerns.

Christelx
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has been locked.

The discussion of this project, now in a new stage, should be done on the new thread craeted by christel.
christel wrote:

I've also made a small announcement post here on the forums and you can check it out here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-489007.html

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: