Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Women
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Cause Reply with quote

mw007 wrote:
I think this is a great cause. Not only are you encouraging membership from a group that has predominantly stayed away from the linux scene, but you're also going to bring in the female outlook on things. This is a good thing, trust me.

peace.

Amen
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Women Reply with quote

christel wrote:
Would such a project be welcome within the community,

as far as it concerns me: yes. I think this is great idea. I study computer science at the university (in Germany) and I think, it is sad, that there aren't of women who study it, too. I know very well that lots of girls do not really care about computers (I remeber the girls in my class at school) but there are girl who really care about it and the y like it. And sometimes I observed that most of the boy in the university don't really give the girls any chance and I cannot understand why. Some answers in this thread are so stupid (stupid for me) and I cannot really understand why girls shouldn't be integreated in the GNU/Linux (or Gentoo) community.

I'm not a native english speaker and I don't have to much time at the moment (I have some important examns during the current semester) but I would help as far as I can, beacuse I think that is important to let another people get involded with the whole GNU/Linux or Gentoo stuff.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we have the gentoo colours changed to pink then?
Fion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Forget the discrimination! It's a derailing issue and not relevant to the original discussion.

2) I don't know whether Christel is aiming for females already interested in Gentoo, but I'm interested in how to make Linux more accessible/attractive to the female gender, so I'm arguing from that POV.

I assume - hey we can't avoid every assumption and gender-based prejudice in this discussion - that most females aren't really interested in maintaining/optimizing a computer. It's a tool and as long as it does what they want it to do, they could care less about how it does it or what it takes.
Just as I don't really care that much about my shoes as long as I have something comfortable to wear. Nor do I care much about cars, watches, soccer or my workout regimen (which is close to non-existant).
I simply don't find it warranting much attention as my main interests lies elsewhere.

So if we could get some kind of feedback from non-Linux using females as to what they use their computer for, maybe we could aim to please. Especially if we could prove that Linux would be easier to use, because of better stability and less mainteance than MS Windows, while still fullfilling their needs.
christel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Idea... Reply with quote

mikearthur wrote:
Christel, I like your blog, and what you've done with the GWN, but this is a bad idea.

Why don't we make a Gentoo for Non-Whiteskinned people or Gentoo Homosexuals. I'm sure we can find other groups of people that don't use Gentoo as much as white males.

Emphasising differences is a damn good way of encouraging conflict and discrimination. To be quite honest, I'm not sure why most girls on the internet are so quick to go HEY GUYS I'M A GIRL!

Maybe the reason the numbers are so low is thats just the number of girls who want the attention.

Personally I've not experienced a lot of people who have said "HI I AM A GIRL," rather the opposite. I spent 8 years pretending to be a guy on the internet, because well, I was shown a lot more respect that way, people treated me totally different. And this isn't about making a point out of people being female, it's not about encouraging that women are treated differently than men. But that they are treated equally and that they don't get pushed away because people come off as sexist and otherwise insinuate that women are stupid, or worth less.
mw007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Personally I've not experienced a lot of people who have said "HI I AM A GIRL," rather the opposite. I spent 8 years pretending to be a guy on the internet, because well, I was shown a lot more respect that way, people treated me totally different. And this isn't about making a point out of people being female, it's not about encouraging that women are treated differently than men. But that they are treated equally and that they don't get pushed away because people come off as sexist and otherwise insinuate that women are stupid, or worth less.

Way to go, Christel. This is a great idea, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If it's something you want to do, do it.
elvis_a_presley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leiaz wrote:
I'm a girl, and I don't really see the point of a group for women. As ToeiRei said, we are not aliens. I would feel less comfortable if I was to be treated differently because i'm a woman.
It's good to encourage and help people to use linux, but there is no need for a special program for women, imho.

It's wonderful to see bursts of common sense from time to time.

First it was the gaming community. A big hoo-ha has been made recently about girl gamers, and even more recently about gay gamers. At the end of the day, who cares? What has your gender, sexual preference or external dangly bits got to do with gaming and/or GNU/Linux?

The longer indiividual groups are treated differently and not considered "the norm", particulary by members of their own groups, the longer alienation will continue. Equality is about removing the preconception of difference, whether that difference be good or bad.

I'm an IT consultant, and I spend a lot of time in different businesses. I interact with female IT/technical staff daily, and a good chunk of these folk are GNU/Linux users, or open to the idea of converting to GNU/Linux. I've never considered gender a prerequisite for technical knowledge or interest, nor do I treat IT staff of one particular gender/race/whatever differently to another group. If anything, I think GNU/Linux users need to unite under one common banner instead of splitting up into even more fragmented communities. The whole distro-wars thing is bad enough. We don't need these small groups split even further.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. More power to anyone wanting to expose more people to GNU/Linux, no matter how they tackle the task.
christel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis_a_presley wrote:
leiaz wrote:
I'm a girl, and I don't really see the point of a group for women. As ToeiRei said, we are not aliens. I would feel less comfortable if I was to be treated differently because i'm a woman.
It's good to encourage and help people to use linux, but there is no need for a special program for women, imho.

It's wonderful to see bursts of common sense from time to time.

First it was the gaming community. A big hoo-ha has been made recently about girl gamers, and even more recently about gay gamers. At the end of the day, who cares? What has your gender, sexual preference or external dangly bits got to do with gaming and/or GNU/Linux?

The longer indiividual groups are treated differently and not considered "the norm", particulary by members of their own groups, the longer alienation will continue. Equality is about removing the preconception of difference, whether that difference be good or bad.

I'm an IT consultant, and I spend a lot of time in different businesses. I interact with female IT/technical staff daily, and a good chunk of these folk are GNU/Linux users, or open to the idea of converting to GNU/Linux. I've never considered gender a prerequisite for technical knowledge or interest, nor do I treat IT staff of one particular gender/race/whatever differently to another group. If anything, I think GNU/Linux users need to unite under one common banner instead of splitting up into even more fragmented communities. The whole distro-wars thing is bad enough. We don't need these small groups split even further.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. More power to anyone wanting to expose more people to GNU/Linux, no matter how they tackle the task.

Those of you who seem to think that the idea is to make a "special program" where women are seperated in some sort of girls only club have gotten entirely the wrong end of the stick. And the idea is certainly not to encourage people to treat women differently, the whole f*cking point [pardon my french] of this is to try help bring more equality and to try remove the sexism and other bad situations that many females come across in the community.

I am glad to hear that leiaz have never experienced any negativity as a female Linux user or as a FOSS developer, however, many of us have, and it's really rather discouraging.
And I am glad to hear that you don't treat women [in IT] any different than men Elvis, that's exactly the attitude GW wants to try and spread to more people, regardless of gender.
mw007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about females being alienated in the GNU/Linux world, since I have never seen it first hand. However, I attended a university in the USA (not the largest, not the smallest) and know for a fact that many females are discouraged from joining the computer science major because it is predominantly male territory.

I don't believe it is this way because of sexism, it may just be something that males are more into by nature (tinkering with things), and once an study is filled with males, females just tend to stay away. Who really knows. It's not just computer science that is this way, take a look at the engineering majors (at least in the US, I don't know how it is in other countries).

In the computer science major for the year 2004 at my school, there were 674 males in the computer science major and only 7 females. Rather lop-sided, eh?
massysett
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

christel wrote:

Speaking from personal experience it isnt always easy to be female in the linux communities, and it's pretty easy to frighten someone sufficiently for them to not want to participate. Admittedly things have changed a lot in the past 10-15 years, in part thanks to initiatives such as Debian Women.

However, sexism is still something that happens, even within Gentoo. Some of the reactions I got within my first 24hours of being a Gentoo dev nearly made me step down and wander off back to Debian, to the support, to the welcoming atmosphere, to the people who didn't care that I had breasts.

Some of the responses you got show exactly why a project like this is needed. You have my full support and I would be happy to take part.
elvis_a_presley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

christel wrote:
Those of you who seem to think that the idea is to make a "special program" where women are seperated in some sort of girls only club have gotten entirely the wrong end of the stick. And the idea is certainly not to encourage people to treat women differently, the whole f*cking point [pardon my french] of this is to try help bring more equality and to try remove the sexism and other bad situations that many females come across in the community.

I am glad to hear that leiaz have never experienced any negativity as a female Linux user or as a FOSS developer, however, many of us have, and it's really rather discouraging.
And I am glad to hear that you don't treat women [in IT] any different than men Elvis, that's exactly the attitude GW wants to try and spread to more people, regardless of gender.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised and shocked to hear that such rampant sexism exists in a generally quite progressive industry.

Maybe I'm just lucky to live in a fairly laid back country where that kind of thing is becoming less and less frequent. I know for the clients I assist, sexism is not tolerated by any gender and at any teir within a corporation, and not just within IT either. I hope your program can spread a similar message elsewhere in the world.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christel, correct me on this if I am wrong, but this is what I'm thinking she's got planned:

A program to give women a FOOTHOLD in the GNU/Linux commun.

Linux is, sad to say, a mostly male group of geeks/nerds who either have too much free time on their hands, or power-hungry comp users in one sense or the other. I know I fit into the latter.

Go into a hardware store (follow me on this) and look around. Not many women, is there? Go into a shop. Not many women, is there? Linux is to computers what tools/shops are to cars and any other form of constucting.

Most women, when something breaks, get frazzled and don't know what to do, so they have someone else fix it for them instead of sitting down witha Chilton or Haye's manual and try to figure out whats wrong. They just want it to work. Some women who do, end up having to try and wander around the edges to keep out of sight because of (I had a friend who had this happen) the fact most men in the area didn't think they are capable of the work, when they were.

I personally think there is a link between the two (personally, I don't consider females capable of the things alot of men do, but then again I am willing to admit when I'm wrong, and I also know there are exceptions to such things, and try to help them whenever I can. I am, by no means, what I would call sexist, but this is from what I have experienced, and the same can be said for men cann't do what women can), and think that making an effort to bridge this gap is well worth the effort.
joshin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Gentoo Women Reply with quote

Gee, the first thing I thought of when hearing about "Gentoo Women" was how great it would be.

I could optimize my wife!!! Maybe get her to perform more times in a time cycle and require fewer interrupts.

But then I realized that was silly and that I really didn't want to be stuck with the kids while she was emerging system.

:P :P
/me escapes out the back door since I'm sure someone will take me seriously.

PS. I did tell her about this post. And yes, I did get -THAT- look and then a laugh. :)
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Women Reply with quote

joshin wrote:
Gee, the first thing I thought of when hearing about "Gentoo Women" was how great it would be.

I could optimize my wife!!! Maybe get her to perform more times in a time cycle and require fewer interrupts.

But then I realized that was silly and that I really didn't want to be stuck with the kids while she was emerging system.

:P :P
/me escapes out the back door since I'm sure someone will take me seriously.

PS. I did tell her about this post. And yes, I did get -THAT- look. :)

One would hope so. If not, man, you've got a hell of a wife!

Anyways, nice to see someone make a crack like that. Lightens the mood :)

P.S. Besides, you emerge with she still has her GUI working so you ca still play with her while shes updating
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i don't think the idea is a bad one... As I'm a computer science student i know how many guys are in class and how many women... I have to say that there are ALOT more guys than women and i don't think THE problem are the things we are learning

Furthermore i guess the development process might get new and intresting ideas and points of view so maybe (hopefully) we can prevent this from happening in the future...
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe it's a great idea. Mostly, groups like these are created not to tell apart people, or to discriminate, but to find other people who share the same traits, the same life experiences, and to support each other better than other groups, since they do understand themselves better.

Note as the paragraph above can be applied to any group, may it be for women or not, be gentoo related or not, be linux, be tech-oriented, may it be in english, japanese, portuguese, etc...

This is no different than any other groups ever created, there's no special treatment, no special requirements. There's no need to think it's discriminatory(in the bad sense of the word) because it's very much the opposite, it only helps everyone to seek the same objectives.
duozmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Sign me up Reply with quote

The reason you might want more women in the project is because they bring a whole different characteristic and philosophy to the community aspect of Gentoo. Code is code, no matter who wrote it, but when you are organizing, that's where the benefits of women can show up. They are generally warmer, more receptive, and more diplomatic. Of course there are many exceptions; I know plenty of girls who would punch me if I called them "warm." But on average, that's what they bring to the table.

I've seen a lot of posts (particularly in Slashdot discussions of this issue) where men say things like, "If women want to be part of the club, they need to act like men." Or, "Your gender shouldn't matter, period." The problem is these thoughts aren't realistic. Women are biologically different upstairs from men. Some of them are naturally comfortable in geek life as is, and wouldn't find any use for a women's group, which is just fine. But most women (the 98% that aren't in Gentoo) are rightly turned off by the gangs of clueless guys who are unable to adapt to their presence. By giving them a forum where they can group together, you give them a chance to make a noticable impact on the community. You give them hope they could enjoy being part of Gentoo because of the community, rather than in spite of it.

The only question is, does the Gentoo community want that? Or would we rather be a locker room of code jockeys? Personally, I say bring on the women. I'm sick of the I'm-smarter-than-you atmosphere. No doubt many people disagree.
kashani
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, some of these replies are just plain awesome. I can wait to tell the anthropologists I know that Neanderthals are alive and well. They'll be arriving shortly to poke and prod some of your brains. Sheesh.

I've got a few stories on perceptions. When I first got into motorcycles other guys generally assumed I knew what I was doing. I practically had to shout "I was a nerd in high school. I took Calculus, not shop class. Can someone explain this timing belt thing to me before whatever happens when they go bad happens!"

Even better was the time I showed up at a LUG meeting after putting my old Honda back together. People can't believe you've been an Unix admin for nine years when you look like a grease monkey complete with dirty fingernails and reeking of brake fluid. Again I took the straightforward method and disagreed loudly with the pompous Redhat sale engineer who knew about half of what he should have. It was a bit over the top, but he had it coming.

These preconceived notions can cut many ways.

With five sisters (doctor, teacher, biologist, accountant, and executive assistant) I have no illusions about what women can and can't do. They can do anything they want. It's fun to watch a woman's face as I pepper her with questions once I realize she knows more about some aspect of *nix or bikes than I do. The flip side is that it's a tell of how little they are regarded as an authority by their peers that they enjoy me bothering them for hours on end.

Unfortunately many women get treated differently with the old "I'll just do it for you" or the "it's too complicated to explain kernel configs/carb syncing" and to see them drift away from something they liked because others made it less than enjoyable. Or they stick with it and become bitter and complain that their ideas are ignored because they are women. Or see genuine attempts to help as trying to marginalize them. I think in all these cases they'd have faired better if they had had a place to ask questions, get help, poke around, whatever without some guy hanging over their shoulder waiting for a mistake so he can jump in and save her.

If any group can help people become more confident in their skills before rudely introducing them to the world at large I'm all for it. :)

kashani
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my thoughts as of now:

We need to start something already

Its fairly apparent that probably about 65-75% are with this, or indiffrent, and the other 25-35% are against it. No one will ever please everyone, and its a waste of time to do so.
I for one think that if we went ahead and spent some time trying to figure out what to do (and hopefully finding a few more women who will help with this) and got a decent basis for a mission statement and maybe some for of hierarchy for everything so that when someone says something, someone somewhere has a solid answer.

You can say this is jumping the gun (I've done that a few times in my life, so saying it doesn't hurt me, lol), but personally I think at least getting the ball rolling, so to speak, would be worthwhile. christel has already had to re-explain things two or three times, and people still don't seem to totally understand it (not saying I do, but I feel like I've got a good grip on things, but I could be wrong), so having a mission statement AT LEAST would keep things in line in that area (and writting it out kind of like a law to reduce confusion, and adding in hyperlinks to definitions of words to keep things from being too misunderstood).

Again, I may be jumping the gun (and I very well could be, lol), but thats my thoughts on it.
Fion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we need to DO SOMETHING! What do we do? Any specific suggestions? Do we make a "Female? New to Gentoo? Want non-sexist and down-to-earth help?"-subforum and pin it? What?
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fion wrote:
So we need to DO SOMETHING! What do we do? Any specific suggestions? Do we make a "Female? New to Gentoo? Want non-sexist and down-to-earth help?"-subforum and pin it? What?

...are you being serious, or making a joke?
Zmyrgel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that Gentoo needs the already mentioned mentor program. Not just for womens but all those new to gentoo. I think this would make gentoo more approuchable. My first experience to gentoo was not very encouraging. I booted with my CD and got to the root prompt and didn't know how to continue from there. So I switched to other distros like SuSE and Slackware where the installation prosedure was much easier.

Basicly I would think a IRC channel dedicated to those new to gentoo would be a good place. In the public channel all the noobs could discuss their problems in general and if they need more assistance, they could request a mentor. These mentors would then start a private discussion with the newbie and go through the installation and basic linux usage step by step with the noob. This would give a nice start as I for instance don't make a thread about every single problem I have as they usually are quite minor issues, easily solved by someone who knows how. Like what's the command to copy a directory to somewhere else.

I have been a sort of a mentor. I was contacted through e-mail by user in another linux forum who needed aid with SuSE at the time. I told what I knew and the problem persistet. We then exchanged messenger addresses and have talked since. This isn't very attractive option as you would need to exchange private information with the mentor so I would recommend the IRC approuch.

A note that if that mentor channel is made and all then it shouldn't be used by the more experienced users to solve their issues but to keep it's energy focused on solving the basic issues with linux like compiling the kernel and explaining why it's done and how.

I don't mean all women don't but I think most would rather get things going straight out of the box so they don't like to read some installation instructions for hours to get some basic issue to work. But women as said are social so this kind of interaction would be more approuchable than any Gentoo for Women forums and all.

One thing to keep in mind, again as already said, the channel shouldn't be used as a dating service. This isn't a big issue if the channel is left for all newbies and not just for women.

I personally would love to see more women using Gentoo and linux in general so I'm willing to give my support for this effort.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
Fion wrote:

...are you being serious, or making a joke?

The point of this project, as I understand, is to get women involved in the (at least for now) male dominated parts of Gentoo, and not isolate them in their own section. But as I said in my previous post, some special treatment at the beginning might be necessary, so maybe a (temporary?) female subforum is not totally backwards. It would be a place that is sure to be free of sexist remarks. But in any case, it shouldn't be female only, everyone should participate there.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.E.M. wrote:
It's the end of the world as we know it... but i feel fine!

DoctorMO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu, I've been to the shops and I see lots of women shopping in them, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say women don't go to shops, especialy clothes shops ect.

I think we are all just procastinating now, let us just welcome the action to bring in new members and make everything more friendly.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: