Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Women
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christel wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
I'm not pouring water on the idea, in fact i think it is a good one, i just think having a female only part would be the best idea but there is no way to patrol that.

We tried to do the same idea but with Gentoo-glbt a couple of years ago but it didn't work out
If someone else wants to create a "Female only" part then they are welcome to, I however, could not support such a move as it would just segregate and divide more.
but wouldn't that help more women to feel at home with Gentoo? You can always browse the non-gender forums as well.

I think having an invite only "No Y Chromosones Allowed...!" forum would significantly help in the recruiting of new female members and I would support it because it can only be good for gentoo
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christel wrote:
jmbsvicetto wrote:
Hi.
There is one point in my view that needs to be addressed. Some people are using this thread to sell the idea that in order for Gentoo to reach more users, it has to become "simpler".

I do not think that Gentoo needs to become simpler to attract more female users, that imo, is quite a insultive statement and implies that women are dumber than men.

Just to make things clear for anyone having doubts, I don't agree with the assumptation that "women are dumber". I know christel didn't meant that I implied that, but I want to clear this for everyone. Furthermore, my argument about the "simpler Gentoo", was meant to those posts that seemed to imply that for Gentoo to attract new users, both male and female, it must become simpler. I get the impression some mean making it more like Ubuntu or Windows - "dumber", in my view. I don't agree with that and don't think that should be the road for Gentoo.
christel wrote:
FWIW, things like the intstaller, the improved work on documentation (including the Gentoo Knowledgebase project) and such is doing their bit to make Gentoo "simpler" and more attractive to the average 'bedroom admin,' be they male or female. :)

I can't agree more with christel on this. To me, the way to make Gentoo "simpler" is to have better documentation and to create the mentoring project. I agree that the GLI can help, in some cases. To avoid confusion, I would prefer to talk about making Gentoo "more accessible".

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushdy wrote:
The question of 'who is this discriminating against?' is easy to answer. Why it's discriminating against all the other people who aren't getting into Gentoo because they don't have a 'Gentoo Gay', or 'Gentoo Hispanic' section.

But that would still be discriminating against all the other people who are interested in a distribution other than Gentoo! And this number is far greater! OMG, DISCRIMINATION!!! :roll: </sarcasm>

Really, your line of argumentation just doesn't wash. In the same vein, by donating money to any given charity, one is discriminating against all the people who won't be getting the money. Whilst that's true, that doesn't make it wrong. Surprise, surprise: often, having a narrower focus engenders a better chance of success. Not all forms of discrimination deserve to be opposed.

Besides, judging from the contact details Christel gave, this effort looks to be merely a subsidiary of userrel, which caters for all users - gays and hispanics too.

christel wrote:
[1] http://women.alioth.debian.org/

It's http://women.debian.org/ now. :-) See the announcement of the long-awaited move.
Fion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
The tone of that post was such as being sarcastic, and I wanted to double-check on that.

Caveat: I've not read the rest of the thread - below Dralnus post - at the time of this posting.

No, not being sarcastic. i was just getting tired of all the banter and theoretical what-if's. The thread was beginning to remind me of the joke regarding the Microsoft developer talking to his wife about how great it's gonna be [i]when[i/] she gets it. All abstract talk, no actual useful suggestions. So I went ahead trying to get some practical ideas floating.

The subforums was a serious suggestion. Aimed at females, used by both sexes, with a "not too tech"-helpful tone and no sexism, innuendoes et cetera, which could be grounds for a temporary ban in said forum.

Last edited by Fion on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:
christel wrote:

It's http://women.debian.org/ now. :-) See the announcement of the long-awaited move.

Could we at least get an user group with a heavier anti-troll policy and anti-spam blocking? Last time I checked debian-women(this morning) newsgroup, there was a sexist bastard trolling/flaming there.
Fion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
Furthermore, my argument about the "simpler Gentoo", was meant to those posts that seemed to imply that for Gentoo to attract new users, both male and female, it must become simpler. I get the impression some mean making it more like Ubuntu or Windows - "dumber", in my view. I don't agree with that and don't think that should be the road for Gentoo.

I think this is for me.

I don't want Gentoo to be more like Ubuntu/Windows as such, but I think that if we want to attract the 'general' female computeruser, we have to be aware of what her uses are. And likely these will be more "I want it to work and use it for these tasks" than the average male "I don't mind tinkering/customisation in order to get my own homefunlopped Gentoo".

And then we could maybe make a introductionary "suggested package of programs and why we suggest these"-writ and maybe we would be better at giving support knowing what it is 'she' wants to use the computer for. It would also make it more clear to 'her' what kind of feedback we need in order to help.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renrutal wrote:
Syntaxis wrote:
christel wrote:

Could we at least get an user group with a heavier anti-troll policy and anti-spam blocking? Last time I checked debian-women(this morning) newsgroup, there was a sexist bastard trolling/flaming there.
hahahahahaha
http://lists.debian.org/debian-women/2006/06/msg00004.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-women/2006/06/msg00006.html
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Cokehabit's avatar has changed! The Apocolypse is upon us... :D

(Ok, it is still D.B. but it was a shock to see a different one)
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fion wrote:
I don't want Gentoo to be more like Ubuntu/Windows as such, but I think that if we want to attract the 'general' female computeruser, we have to be aware of what her uses are. And likely these will be more "I want it to work and use it for these tasks" than the average male "I don't mind tinkering/customisation in order to get my own homefunlopped Gentoo".

And then we could maybe make a introductionary "suggested package of programs and why we suggest these"-writ and maybe we would be better at giving support knowing what it is 'she' wants to use the computer for. It would also make it more clear to 'her' what kind of feedback we need in order to help.

I think this is the opposite of the reason behind a Gentoo Women group - it would be there to support a community in which women don't meet the assumption that because they are female they need things to be made simpler, or that they aren't capable or willing to tinker and customise their Gentoo installation.

I think (to use jmbsvicetto's words) making Gentoo "more accessible" is a great goal, but I don't see any reason why it should be aimed specifically for women, because I know a fair number of men who would welcome it as well.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having watched this thread bounce to the top of the "today's posts" list all day, I think it's about time to say something here.

First let me say I'm a 40 year old man. This is also not a "no girls allowed" post by any means.

I'm willing to help anybody get any distro working if they ask nicely and if they're willing to try. Regardless of gender. I don't think that women are any less capable of doing intellectual things than men are. I train the programmers we get in my company, and the degree of motivation seems to drive success more than gender. We just get fewer female applicants. The one female programmer we have (out of 4 total) is junior but just as bright as anyone else, and MORE motivated than most juniors we get.

There's no marketing tactic to get women to use Gentoo, but there are also no special attractions to get men to use it. I think setting up some sort of program to get women involved is artificial, and somewhat akin to singles clubs putting signs out on street corners saying they need more of whatever demographic in their club. It's contrary to the stated purpose of the organization. Commercial software companies concentrate on demographics of the market they want to meet. These companies have marketing-driven sales. That is to say, somebody says "this sort of person is our target, they like this sort of thing, so we provide it and they will buy our product." That's why Open Source even happened, because the marketing-driven companies were not meeting the needs of the real community.

There are all sorts of distributions which market to specific demographics. Most distributions are focusing on an easier installation and more mainstream use, and a more mainstream desktop look. They tend to have default installers that give you a system with most of the features and most of the look of the latest Microsoft Windows OS. Frankly if I wanted that then I'd install Windows. It's easier and probably cheaper in the long run if you value your time. Gentoo is a do-it-yourself distribution. That's why I'm here. The other distros I was using kept trying to decide what I wanted, and the list of what they wanted kept diverging from what I actually want.

According to the web site, Gentoo is aimed at folks who want to design their own system. I'd be tickled if more women would want to do that and feel confident enough to try. However, I'm not interested in setting a trap to "catch a woman" who uses Linux, or lure anyone at all to a distribution that does not provide a real solution to their needs. We have to assume that anyone who wants to pick a distribution is smart enough to match his or her requirements and wants to the list of features that distribution claims. The best we can do is accurately portray the features and the goal and see who comes in. Anyone who is artificially lured into the community will not be happy because the things the distro offers will not be the things they really wanted.

That's not to say that we shouldn't improve tools to be easier to use. The stated goal of the site is choice, and that doesn't inherently mean difficulty. Gentoo's portage makes an impossible job into a manageable job, which is awesome. I have no criticism to that, but there's always a better way and someday someone will find it.

To close this up, I don't see anything especially sexist about this distribution or the people who post to this forum. If that's true, then the statistics quoted at the beginning of the thread mean that most women are just not so interested in the sort of things Gentoo gives them. Similar things could be said about the automotive service industry: How many female auto mechanics do you see? Maybe most women are just not interested in that.

PS:
The quest for market share is the primary cause of bloat in modern software. Well, here's a clue: Gentoo is free software. There's no market to compete for. There is enough interest in this distribution to keep the site lively, and the maintainers of the site willingly adjust their product to fit those requests which fit within the parameters of the distribution goals. That means the site is not static and the maintainers are not closed in their thinking. There's enough interest in what is offered here to make it worth maintaining, and adjusting it to fit some market that everyone else is also striving for will lose something more precious than the increased numbers would justify.

We HAVE women who use Gentoo and who post to the forum. They and any others are welcome to any help I know how to give. I would object just as strongly to any other marketing-driven adjustment of the distribution.

Last edited by 1clue on Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can sit on this thread and argue how well this may work and how well it may not for whatever reason. Bottom line is we'll never know until we try. This isn't a move to try and force women to use Gentoo, nor anyone else, but a move to try and make things more welcoming.

The comment on trolling/flaming is a good one, and we'll just have to hope that that kind of issue doesn't come up, but if it does, we'll deal with it then. Sit and plan for every little mishap, and you'll never get started. Remember the old addage:

"Think before you act, but don't think so long you forget to act"

I'm all for some action. I personally think that if we were to at least try, the only harm it could really do is waste time and energy, and I don't mind a waste for something that may do some good. Having a womans perspective is always a nice thing, since they think diffrently then males (that much should be obvious), and sometimes will hit upon something that a guy wouldn't have noticed before hand.

As for my LiveCD idea, I was thinking of something generalized to give someone a chance to try Gentoo, and not have to take a chance on ruining their PC. If you don't care for the idea, fine, then lets also remove the GUI installer (which never worked for me in the first place), and work on the docs for installation more.

SuSe/Red Hat/Mandrake are all good for new people. Personally, I owuldn't suggest Gentoo to anyone who is a total n00b, because its a pain to use at the start. The speed and configurability can be a bit overwhelming at times, and when somehting breaks, you have to post something and PRAY someone responds to give you an idea on what files are used to configure what.

Documentation is something that I see as needed. The guides to setting-up a GUI are minimal at best, and useless if something goes wrong. Trust me, mine didn't work and I had to spend days trying to get some help, which came from 1 person, who couldn't always give me rock-solid info even though I posted logs as well as some rather long helpfiles I had seen that I didn't see as very helpful or didn't understand. Man pages and Info pages are, while the best you can use right now, not very helpful in some cases. The layout is apauling, and just trying to figure out what the last string of 8+ character words means can be a taxing task.

I still say we need to start doing SOMETHING before everyone decides that this really isn't a good idea, or they find something better to do with their time.
Fion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maedhros & 1clue <----

I guess you're right. Maybe we shouldn't try to attract non-geek women into using Linux (via Gentoo) and instead focus on the geek girls recently bitten by the Gentoo-bug.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fion wrote:
Maedhros & 1clue <----

I guess you're right. Maybe we shouldn't try to attract non-geek women into using Linux (via Gentoo) and instead focus on the geek girls recently bitten by the Gentoo-bug.

Fion,

IMHO Gentoo is not a distro I would wish on a non-geek woman or a non-geek man either. I watched Gentoo for over a year before I felt I had the skills to try it, and I've used nothing but Linux on my desktop for over 5 years now. I'm astonished that so many first-time linux users are on this forum.

My comments are not aimed at women, they're aimed at non-geeks. Nothing would make me happier than to have a 50/50 mix of genders on this site.

I salute the geek girls everywhere, they definitely fight an uphill battle in the IT industry. I do my best to alleviate that, but I don't do it by giving them breaks that they don't have coming, and I don't give the men those breaks either. Speaking as a trainer of programmers, my job is to train new employees so that they can be effective for our company, and in some cases the people I train are not programmers. The training I give teaches people how to leverage resources and how to think for themselves, and so far I have a remarkably good track record. I've had few trainees who didn't cut the mustard and I've had absolutely no women who did not become very competent and competitive in the industry. Most of those moved on to find employment somewhere else over the years, but they got those jobs on their own merit.

My objection is solely related to a desire to keep at least one distribution which is like Gentoo is right now -- source-based, extremely configurable from ground up.
Fion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
IMHO Gentoo is not a distro I would wish on a non-geek woman or a non-geek man either. I watched Gentoo for over a year before I felt I had the skills to try it, and I've used nothing but Linux on my desktop for over 5 years now. I'm astonished that so many first-time linux users are on this forum.

Yeah well, I had problems installing Debian.
Quote:
I salute the geek girls everywhere, they definitely fight an uphill battle in the IT industry. I do my best to alleviate that, but I don't do it by giving them breaks that they don't have coming, and I don't give the men those breaks either. Speaking as a trainer of programmers, my job is to train new employees so that they can be effective for our company, and in some cases the people I train are not programmers. The training I give teaches people how to leverage resources and how to think for themselves, and so far I have a remarkably good track record. I've had few trainees who didn't cut the mustard and I've had absolutely no women who did not become very competent and competitive in the industry. Most of those moved on to find employment somewhere else over the years, but they got those jobs on their own merit.

I understand, but to me there's no problem in mentoring or just trying to be more "female-orientated" in a subforum on forums.gentoo, helping them getting over the first few bumps or just creating some kind of a social sanctuary. If it doesn't work as intended, all we've lost is voluntary time and effort and at the least we've tried.
Quote:
My objection is solely related to a desire to keep at least one distribution which is like Gentoo is right now -- source-based, extremely configurable from ground up.

I don't want to change Gentoo, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Gyntoo fork or a Femix-distro if someone thought they could be useful getting more women to run Linux. :)
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renrutal wrote:

The policy's not the problem:

Steve Langasek wrote:
The problem is largely a technical one: by using throw-away Yahoo! Mail accounts and relaying messages through tor (http://tor.eff.org/), he evades traditional list filtering mechanisms and avoids real-world accountability for his actions without any penalties that are of concern to your run-of-the-mill sociopath.

Blocking mail relayed through tor is a solution with minimal on-going costs and minimal collateral damage, so I believe it's the solution that should be used here.

But once Tor's blocked, the troll will be forced to either stop, or reveal his real persona.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread I realised that the whole thing is a good idea. Even if its just a inititive that states that there will be a certian number of female devs, and they will mentor a certian number of female devs, then its all good. There has to be a criteria where once, say, 1/4 of the devs are female, then the whole project is halted with conditions that it is able to perpetuate.

Get into the university and it will be easy!

I remeber going to my local lug, and there was one female in the room, who was assisting the presenter answer questions. I felt sorry for her because as soon as the presentation was over, there was a crowd of geeky guys basically cornering her asking her questions. She looked really uncomfortable the whole time.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fion wrote:
1clue wrote:

Yeah well, I had problems installing Debian.
Quote:

I understand, but to me there's no problem in mentoring or just trying to be more "female-orientated" in a subforum on forums.gentoo, helping them getting over the first few bumps or just creating some kind of a social sanctuary. If it doesn't work as intended, all we've lost is voluntary time and effort and at the least we've tried.
Quote:

I don't want to change Gentoo, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Gyntoo fork or a Femix-distro if someone thought they could be useful getting more women to run Linux. :)

OK, I guess I don't have a problem as far as what you're saying goes. I had problems installing Debian a few years back too, and wound up going back to RedHat.

Frankly, most of the time it's hard to figure out if the poster is a girl or a guy, and these days with the net freaks out there you hesitate to believe them if they tell you.

The things you're suggesting in this post don't inherently change the software, just the site. I have a hard time figuring out how it would all work, but maybe just a list of people who would be willing to help, and maybe a rating system to show who was the most helpful to any specific gender?

I feel the need to examine my own behavior, because you are saying there's a need and I don't see that need, but I'm not a woman. I guess I'm missing the thing that would really help here, or any rules that would even be enforcible. It seems to me that almost all of what you're suggesting already exists right now. Gentoo's forums are less antagonistic than EVERY other linux-based forum I've ever seen, so to have a sanctuary inside that must mean that the rest of the sites out there are total hell. In most cases I'd agree, because I wouldn't post to those sites. Even so, I think that if there were a women's corner a whole lot of guys would hang out there hoping to pick up dates or something. The idea of finding a Linux-savvy geek girlfriend is appealing to me too, and that's probably the last thing going through the mind of a woman who is posting here for help.

Mentoring is well and good, and I've done it a whole lot of times. The strength of a forum is that the student can post somewhat anonymously and get answers to the question, not inquiries about marital status. Mentoring is more personal than that, a one-on-one that might make some folks uncomfortable in an internet chat setting. It's more cumbersome too, because if the teacher doesn't know the answer he or she needs to research it and get back, and then point out where the answer is and how to make it work for the student.

Somehow, I think I'm missing something critical here.
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
Somehow, I think I'm missing something critical here.

The video of the Debconf5 talk, "Debian Women and Women in Free Software", may prove illuminating. It addresses pretty much every single point raised in this entire thread. The slides are available here.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Reading this thread I realised that the whole thing is a good idea. Even if its just a inititive that states that there will be a certian number of female devs, and they will mentor a certian number of female devs, then its all good. There has to be a criteria where once, say, 1/4 of the devs are female, then the whole project is halted with conditions that it is able to perpetuate.

Get into the university and it will be easy!

I remeber going to my local lug, and there was one female in the room, who was assisting the presenter answer questions. I felt sorry for her because as soon as the presentation was over, there was a crowd of geeky guys basically cornering her asking her questions. She looked really uncomfortable the whole time.

I was in a similar LUG. A regular member brought his wife in, and she was exceptionally attractive. Nobody in the room heard a single word in the whole meeting, and afterwards she had all sorts of guys offering to help her install Linux. They either didn't hear or didn't care that she was already married to a competent Linux geek and had access to it already installed. That's why I'm so antagonistic toward any sort of gender-based mentoring by default. The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that the women are saying that it's needed. My management experience tells me that I have to listen to that.

Regarding an initiative requiring a certain ratio of developers: I think that's a bad idea. That's the sort of broad generalization that gets so many big companies in trouble. Rather than hard numbers, compare the gender ratio of applicants to the ratio of hired/accepted developers, and use that number as a sanity check on your hiring process. If one gender is too high then examine why that should be and figure out how to repair that. A feedback system like that follows public trends, and you won't suddenly have projects shut down because some unrealistic number was not met. If somebody tracks applicants and why they were rejected or accepted, that data can help document the decisions if there is ever a disagreement about it, and can explain why the ratios don't match. A feedback loop like that can be used for any sort of demographic.
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fion wrote:
So we need to DO SOMETHING! What do we do? Any specific suggestions? Do we make a "Female" New to Gentoo? Want non-sexist and down-to-earth help?"-subforum and pin it? What?

After 5 pages, I believe the best thing many people here could do is to do nothing. Just "open you mind or stay out the way". Since the former seems to be more difficult, go with the latter. Of course help is needed and appreciated, but only if you actually help.

Nothing is also what will happen to Gentoo technical development-wise, the distro will remain the same as it always were: for everyone and with the same old roadmap. There's no plans for new distros, no plans for pink themes, nothing to make your life easier or prettier, other than the features that already have been discussed and implemented for months.

Since Gentoo-Women is a user-relations planned project, perhaps the best thing is to build a place to have the discussions. such as a gentoo-women mailing list, irc channel, and a forum(the Gentoo Forums is a great place for everyone)
kashani
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flosspols.org/deliverables/FLOSSPOLS-D16-Gender_Integrated_Report_of_Findings.pdf

Women make up 30% of software devs, but only 2% of FOSS devs. It's heavy on the academic speak, but interesting overall. Unfortunately I missed seeing Valerie Henson a Linux kernel dev at Intel present it last week.

kashani
Zmyrgel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:

Don't down-play dial-up. Run it right, it works well. I ran Guild Wars in Windows with Dial-up awhile back, with minimal lag (no more then I got when I upgraded to DSL, actually). Just have to be a bit more concious as to what all is using your net

Well, in order to use dial-up I would need to go to phone company and apply for phoneline and then activate the line. Then I would need to find a proper dial-up access and then I would be able to use it.

And I doubt it would happen faster than 12 days here in Ireland.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zmyrgel wrote:
Dralnu wrote:

Don't down-play dial-up. Run it right, it works well. I ran Guild Wars in Windows with Dial-up awhile back, with minimal lag (no more then I got when I upgraded to DSL, actually). Just have to be a bit more concious as to what all is using your net

Well, in order to use dial-up I would need to go to phone company and apply for phoneline and then activate the line. Then I would need to find a proper dial-up access and then I would be able to use it.

And I doubt it would happen faster than 12 days here in Ireland.

Dial-up ise useful (however slow), and my knowledge of it is from AFTER it has been installed. INstalling it yes would take time, but still, it doesn't deserve the awful break its given. Its better then nothing.
R.I.P.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think Gentoo For Women is not a good idea.

First, from what I can say using Gentoo for little more than two months as my main OS: Gentoo is a definitely for geeks.
And what is the difference geek distro and non-geek distro? I do not think this is kind of separation by minimum IQ to use it, or gender, or smth. Also I do not think it is strictly bound to complexity of usage/administrating/tweaking etc. The main difference imho is following: geek software/distro allows you to solve your problems and bring your ideas to reality by yourself. Geek fights thr problem by himself or fights with help of the others, non-geek looks for someone else to fight instead of him.

Ofcourse i think none of us is "The True Geek" from the ancient legends when "computers were big, harddrives were small, and if a man needed a driver for some device he wrote it". Though anyone here i think is less or more beyond the middle of the line between nongeek and geek. And if a woman or girl feel brave enough to be geek - welcome. Otherwise - there are plenty of other distros and OSes. Why someone should spend time for free to make Gentoo less geek for those who won't do anything to help theirselves?

PS Also such a title "Gentoo for smb/smth" resembles for me books like "Windows for Dummies" :)

PPS For things that are girlish but not related to geek-nongeek way-of-things (like girlish de/wm themes or girlish backgrounds) it is enough to have several threads in "Gentoo Chat" or "Off The Wall".
wouter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: On Debian-Women Reply with quote

As this thread starts off by referring to Debian-Women, I feel a post about Debian-Women is in place.

Disclaimer: I am not involved in Gentoo in any way, except insofar that I maintain the Network Block Device upstream which happens to be in Gentoo (though outdated -- I'd appreciate it if someone were to update them, hint hint :wink:). I am, however, a Debian Developer, and I'm reasonably familiar with the Debian-Women project, what their goals are, and why they're generally a good thing, not to be confused with 'Debian for Dummies'. OTOH, I'm not really involved with Debian-Women either; I have, for example, never actually posted on the debian-women mailinglist, or have done anything more than go to a talk where they've explained how they work and what they do. I also don't often follow Gentoo's development, but I just kind of stumbled upon this while randomly surfing.

Anyway.

First and foremost: Debian-Women does not exist because of any percieved idea that women would be less intelligent, or would have trouble understanding how Free Software works. On the contrary; there are women who wouldn't have joined Debian if not for Debian-Women that are so skilled and have so many abilities that I am in a way jealous as to what they can do.

Instead, there is a need for a -women project because the Free Software world traditionally is a male society. It is a scientifically proven fact that men and women work and behave differently; for example, when you put five men in a bar, each with a beer in their hands, chances are high that they'll turn around and openly start doing what I'll call a "meat examination": having a look at all the women in the bar, giving comments on their looks, sometimes giving score, and perhaps even giving comments like "I wouldn't mind a one-night with that blonde over there". They'll find this type of stuff incredibly funny, often laughing out loud. Women won't do such things; they will usually even find it offensive that they are being judged like that.

Of course this is just a stereotype; not all men behave like that. The point, however, is that men expose different behaviour, socially, when compared to women, to the point that it will turn women away because they either offend them, or because they do not understand the subtle rules that men know about men-only societies and think that a group of only man makes men 'behave strangely'. The offensive behaviour is not necessarily something that happens intentionally; never the less, it does happen and it does turn women away, including women who might otherwise be valuable contributors.

Especially given how Linux people are most often geeks, who often have issues with social behaviour, makes this a problem for women to understand how the society they're trying to contribute to, works.

In other words, the main reason for Debian-Women to exist is not to help Women with technical matters but to help them with social ones. Debian-Women helps women understand how the Debian project works on a social level, and helps them contribute. But it does not lower the bar in any way; any woman who wants to become a Debian Developer has to go through the same process, with the same rules, as a man who wants to do the same thing. I wouldn't want it any other way; and I'm sure the Debian-Women participants wouldn't, either.

Occasionally, Debian-Women is not, as one would expect, a women-only club. Everyone, men and women alike, is welcome on the mailinglist or on the IRC channel. The only "but" is that you have to follow the rules which are set for their channels; that is, no flaming, no sexist jokes, and other similar things.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: