View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmja89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Laptops : using an exteranl monitor Reply with quote

Hi I have a Compaq Presario 2100US and I have X installed fine I have an ATI 340M and the driver I'm using is "ati" (it was auto configured) I added the option
Code:
 Option "MonitorLayout"              "LVDS,AUTO"
to my xorg.conf so that I could use an external monitor, however when I connect a monitor and press the key to switch monitors (it's marked as Fn + F5) nothing happens! No messages show up in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/messages or even (for good measure) in /proc/acpi/events. Am I doing something wrong or is this just another part of my laptop that is totally messed up (see any of my posts on PCMCIA/CradBus)?
arkanoid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may just be another part of your laptop that's messed up (hey, it _is_ a compaw afterall ;) ). You can try and reboot with the external monitor hooked up to your computer. I've seen cases where this is nescessary to use the external monitor/projector
jmja89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so that worked....up until X started. That is, if I only use VTs I can see things on BOTH monitors but I can't make it so it's only on one of them. However, when I start X I lose the seperate monitor. Xorg.0.log has this message:
Code:
(II) RADEON(0): Secondary
Monitor -- NONE
Connector -- Proprietary
DAC Type -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
TMOS Type -- NONE
DDC Type -- NONE

(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode disabled

I do also have an S-Video out port, is it perhaps thinking this is the second monitor? Is there a way to change/fix this?
jmja89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, 1 problem down, I can get it to work on both at the same time if I change it from "LVDS,AUTO" to "LVDS,CRT" even though I have a flat-panal display....By chance, when they say TDMS is for a desktop flat panal do they mean one connected by a DVI cable? Becuase using TDMS doesn't work for me at all. So now my only problem is how do I get it to disply on ONLY the attached monitor? Is that something that is done through software because it seems it would be more of a BIOS thing in which case it should work right now....
arkanoid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode disabled

This line implies that the problem may be in the configuration of your graphics driver. I can't really help as I don't have a radeon card myself and thus have no knowledge about it, but just for your information, I didn't have to change anything in xorg.conf to make my laptop work with an external monitor (I don't need to reboot either, but a friend I know does), so I guess the problem might be with the radeon stuff, and not with xorg itself.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: