Problem Installing Gentoo 2006.0 CopyPackageToChrootError
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Problem Installing Gentoo 2006.0 CopyPackageToChrootError Reply with quote

HI,

Just trying to install Gentoo 2006.0 on a Toshiba 1800 Satellite, Celeron 800MHz 256Mb. I seem to have tried every combination of install options now. Have gone through the GUI installer and command line installer over and over but it keeps bombing out on me while unpacking. This time it has crashed while copying sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4rl (13/95) but it has done it at different points over and over. The last line this time is
Quote:

GLI June 13 2006 04:42:34 - GLIExcption: CopyPackageToChrootError :FATAL: copy_pkg_to_chroot: Could not copy files from /var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.4_rl/image to / for sys_devel/gcc_3.4.4_rl

Gentoo looks really good, so is really frustrating.

Any you experts out there have any idea what the hell this all mean. Even just a pointer in the right direction would be great.

Cheers
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use the universal or minmal install CD at the moment.
mtn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've done that using the dopcmcia command to get my pcmcia network card going which shows up when I do ifgonfig. I'm a bit stuck now though. Once booted to the command line I type net-setup eth0 like it says to and then I get a screen that asks me to choose if my network is wierless or wired. I choose wired and then get another screen that asks me if I'm using DHCP or a static IP. I choose DHCP and then I'm back to the prompt asking me to type ifconfig to check my netwotk card again. Just seem to go round snd round. Any idea?
mtn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last post might not have been very clear. What I really want to know is what is the command to install Gentoo from the terminal?

I have had this problem witha few distros for the last couple of weeks but can not find an aswer here, the Ubuntu forum , LQ or anyway where else I have tried.

I boot to the terminal :( ...then what? How do I get an installed Desktop?

Any help would be sooo welcome.
mtn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Q Reply with quote

Well, got a bit futher with the GUI installer tonight. Finally managed to unpack the tarball. Figured out I had to choose the tarball which is in /mnt/cdrom/snapshot/portage tarball

I also chose as few options as possible. But it still dosn't like somthing as I got the error below after it had unpacked the tarball and was configuring somthing. I think it must be a permissions thing! Oh well I will provail! :?

GLI: June 13 2006 23:55:28 - file:///mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-20060123.tar.bz2 was fetched and unpacked.
GLI: June 13 2006 23:55:33 - ERROR! : Could not update the config files!
GLI: June 13 2006 23:55:34 - This is a bad thing. An exception occured outside of the normal install errors. The error was: '[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf''
GLI: June 13 2006 23:55:34 - Traceback (most recent call last):
GLI: June 13 2006 23:55:34 - File "/opt/installer/GLIClientController.py", line 165, in run
self._install_steps[self._install_step]['function']()
GLI: June 13 2006 23:55:34 - File "/opt/installer/GLIArchitectureTemplate.py", line 491, in configure_make_conf
self._edit_config(filename, {key: make_conf[key]})
GLI: June 13 2006 23:55:34 - File "/opt/installer/GLIArchitectureTemplate.py", line 207, in _edit_config
f = open(filename,'w')
GLI: June 13 2006 23:55:34 - IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf'
mtn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guess noone wnat to say HAVE A LLOK AT THE DOCUMENTATION! That is what I ahve done http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml and it looks like that is the way forward though it looks like a lengthy process and I'm not sure what I'll have at the end of it. When I get time I'll give ut a try. Consider this thread closed. Cheers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: