the latest version of nvidia-glx won't compile [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimSSC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: the latest version of nvidia-glx won't compile [solved] Reply with quote

I recently tried to do a emerge -vauD world, but it stopped when it got to nvidia-glx. I have an entry in package.keywords for it:
Code:
media-vidio/nvidia-glx ~x86
and my current version is 1.0.8756. The output from the emerge is here

If anyone knows how to fix this, that would be great. But as a temporary solution, to finish updating my system, is there a way to unmask a specific version? Or is there just some other way to tell portage that I want to keep the version I have? Thanks.

Last edited by TimSSC on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just change kernel versions recently or clean out your source directory? If so, try rebooting with the new kernel once you build it, or change the /usr/src/linux symlink to match your running kernel and try again.
TimSSC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ignored this problem for a while, and didn't update nvidia. However, now that I updated to modular X, I need to remerge nvidia, but this problem is still sticking around.

I tried changing my /usr/src/linux symlink to the most recent version in /usr/src:
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  22 Apr 20 16:24 linux -> linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 800 May  7 14:03 linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 768 Jul 10 20:58 linux-2.6.16-gentoo-r12
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 776 Apr 24 12:05 linux-2.6.16-gentoo-r3
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 744 May  4 01:50 linux-2.6.16-gentoo-r6
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 744 May 14 20:16 linux-2.6.16-gentoo-r7
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 744 Jun 13 14:28 linux-2.6.16-gentoo-r9

but now I get the following error message when compiling nvidia-kernel:

Code:
  Building modules, stage 2.
make -rR -f /usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1/scripts/Makefile.modpost
  scripts/mod/modpost -m  -i /usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1/Module.symvers /var/tmp/portage/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8762-r1/work/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nvidia.o
/bin/sh: scripts/mod/modpost: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [__modpost] Error 127
make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
nvidia.ko failed to build!
make[1]: *** [mdl] Error 1
make: *** [module] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8762-r1 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1539:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 939:   Called src_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 1248:   Called linux-mod_src_compile
  linux-mod.eclass, line 515:   Called die

!!! Unable to make  IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=yes V=1 SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux SYSOUT=/usr/src/linux clean module.
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

Thanks for any help.
Lomaxx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems with several nvidia-kernel-versions as well. The strange thing is sometimes i manage to compile them by repeating emerging without changing anything. Sometimes compiling stops. Sometimes i get one or two warningmessages, installation finishes but modprobing the nvidia-module fails and sometimes it compiles,installs and loads flawless. However, since trying to reemerge it for 10 and more times started to annoy me i chose to switch back to an older version, which emerges flawless for me at once. So you might try to mask several nvidia-kernel-versions after trying to emerge them:

Code:
emerge nvidia-kernel

if it fails then, memorize the kernel-version and write the following with the nvidia-kernel-version that did not work, for example:
Code:
echo "=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8762-r1" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

or edit /etc/portage/package.mask manually by using
Code:
nano -w /etc/portage/package.mask

and insert the full nvidia-kernel-packagename there (for example "=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8762-r1")

Repeat these steps until you manage to successfully emerge the nvidia-kernel. After that you have to pick the same version of nvidia-glx and emerge that.
For example i managed to emerge "media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.7676-r1" and so i had to emerge "media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.7676-r3" (the release can differ, but the mainversion like '1.0.7676' has to be the same). In order to get the right nvidia-glx-version you have to mask all newer versions in /etc/portage/package.mask just as you did with nvidia-kernel. My package.mask looked in the end like this:
Code:

=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8762-r1
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8762
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8756-r1
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8756
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r4
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8174-r2
=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8174-r1
=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762
=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8756
=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8178-r1
=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8174-r2

And about changing your symlink: You should not change the symlink without compiling and installing the kernel as well as making the new kernel boot in grub.conf. So better do the following in order to be sure that the symlink is properly set:

Check the kernelversion you are running by executing
Code:
uname- a

After that better delete the current symlink in case it differs ('rm /usr/src/linux)' and create a new one pointing at the gentoo-kernel which you are using
Code:
ln -s /usr/src/<kerneversion that uname mentioned> linux

After that you might search for a HOWTO about upgrading your linux-kernel as long as you are not running the newest version. =)
Maybe this one helps: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
TimSSC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved this, and the problem was embarrasingly noob-ish. Basically, I had seen that emerge was updating the kernel sources, so I assumed that meant it was updating the kernel. However, I followed some guides for updating hte kernel to the latest version, as well as updating gcc (I had missed some steps, and just let emerge take care of it). Anyhow, whatever I did, it worked fine now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: