Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Terminal freezes after I exit any dektop environment-UNSLVD!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Napalm Llama
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah. The bloody thing's started doing it again, despite that line still being in the config file. Any further help would be greatly appreciated!
Registered Linux User #381314
# killall humans
psic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just switched over to the modular X, I had to upgrade the drivers, but it seems like it didn't help :(
sybarite69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem shutting down my computer in kde, where the screen would go black but the computer would keep running. It was as if I had logged out of X/KDE and had gone nowhere. I tried a number of different suggestions posted in the ati & nvidia threads (I have the nvidia-{kernel,glx} installed with a GeForce 5200), but I only succeeded (a few minutes ago) by uncommenting, in /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc,

"AutoReLogin=true" (almost at the halfway point of the file) as well as
"TerminateServer=true" (as suggested in another thread, but unsuccessful for me on its own).

I am not certain if this will be helpful to anyone else, but it may be worth a shot. Unfortunately, I do not know anything about this option or even if it is a good idea for a workaround (I have been working with linux for a couple of years, but I still feel like a newbie, and I just got into gentoo last week), but the comment in the file about "circumventing screen lockers" kind of made sense to me as a possible fix for my problem. Not like I had anything to lose in trying...I hope this helps!?!?!

Many thanks to those who posted suggestions, which compelled me to even look at this file!
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the recipe given by teva24, but it does not seem to work for me. I blacklisted intel-agp, agpgart and fglrx in /etc/hotplug/blacklist and removed all entries from /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. Then I did (as root)
Code:

modprobe intel-agp
    modprobe fglrx

and then (as an unprivileged user)
Code:

startx

My startx launches WindowMaker. `glxinfo | grep direct' reports "yes". When I exit from WindowMaker the machine hangs real hard, not responding to keyboard, mouse, ssh or even ping.

My video card is Radeon 9600.
psic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a final post to this thread:

I've given up on Ati's drivers. All of them. The very latest drivers, which are masked in portage, no longer support the Ati Radeon which I have (9200), and I accidently let them upgrade during the last world upgrade, basically my monitor would go directly into stand-by. I down-graded to the latest stable version in portage, that worked but no acceleration and it was still hanging whenever I wanted to logout. Kind of funny to stop supporting something which was never supported in the first place (well, at least not like it should have been).

After fooling around with /etc/X11/xorg.conf for a while, I tossed in the towel and went back to an older copy of xorg.conf which I thankfully kept. I don't really care anymore. I've just gotten a part-time job and one of the first things I plan on doing when I get my first paycheck is go out and buy a cheap Nvidia card. I'm using the open-source radeon driver (no acceleration) for now.

I hope the rest who have had this problem managed to fix it!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: