/usr/src folder empty, emerge gentoo-sources fails. [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trsix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: /usr/src folder empty, emerge gentoo-sources fails. [Solved] Reply with quote

as you can tell by the number of posts ive done, i am still a n00b so i might be missing something here.

i installed genkernel from live cd 2006.0

As you read, keep in mind a question and possibly answer it for me :)
Q. Who designs a package to be "emerge" 'd and why do the packages go up if the files which are dependencies of said package not on the mirrors?

i want to get the .config file for my current kernel so i rtfm'd and it tells me to goto the /usr/src/linux directory and the .config file will be in there. but that directory doesnt even exist. in fact, there is nothing in the /usr/src directory. i know that if the .config file isnt there i will have to run "make menuconfig" from the /usr/src/linux directory but as stated above, theres nothing in said directory

i did a
Code:

localhost / # ls -l /usr/src
total 0
localhost / #  cd /usr/src
localhost src # ls -l
total 0
localhost src #

so i do some more rtfm'ing and find out that i can just emerge the gentoo sources and it will populate the folder for me so i run "emerge gentoo-sources" which downloads a 38mb file and then trys to download another file which is 36kb called "genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2" and this is what i get.
Code:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r5  -build -doc -symlink (-ultra1) 36 kB

Total size of downloads: 36 kB

Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
>>> emerge (1 of 1) sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r5 to /
>>> Resuming download...
>>> Downloading ftp://cs.ubishops.ca/pub/gentoo/distfiles/genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2
--16:36:07--  ftp://cs.ubishops.ca/pub/gentoo/distfiles/genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2'
Resolving cs.ubishops.ca... 206.167.194.132
Connecting to cs.ubishops.ca|206.167.194.132|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /pub/gentoo/distfiles ... done.
==> SIZE genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2 ... done.
==> PASV ... done.    ==> REST 5527 ... done.
==> RETR genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2 ...
No such file `genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2'.

first things first, i make sure that my mirror list is up to date so i "mirrorselect -i -o >> /etc/make.conf" and select every single mirror on the list. (just to be sure) i even nano'd my /etc/make.conf file to be sure the entire list is there, which it is :)

after adding every mirror on the list i try it again and get the same response (this is just one of the many servers which it tried to download the file from)
Code:

>>> Resuming download...
>>> Downloading http://ftp.uoi.gr/mirror/OS/gentoo/distfiles/genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2
--16:41:15--  http://ftp.uoi.gr/mirror/OS/gentoo/distfiles/genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/genpatches-2.6.15-8.extras.tar.bz2'
Resolving ftp.uoi.gr... 195.130.120.38
Connecting to ftp.uoi.gr|195.130.120.38|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
16:41:16 ERROR 404: Not Found.

so im thinking to myself, well if the kernel comes off the cd then the file im looking for on the cd must by default be there. when you run the install from the cd without using the genkernel and a networkless install it should all be there... i cant find it, might be buried somewhere but im not sure.

which brings me to the forums, searching and reading and i do find things which sound close but nothing i can find which helps me out. my guess is that the emerge will fail because it cant find that "...extras.tar.bz2" file. and with it failing it wont put the files in the /usr/src/linux directory which wont allow me to run the make menuconfig. phew :)

i decided to goto one of the servers ftp://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/pub/gentoo/distfiles/ and waited for the whole directory to fill and found that indeed the file that emerge is looking for does not exist.

i await the inevatible "oh, just do this" response :) thankyou for reading this far and thanks for the assistance. oh, on a side note, i did read the kernel howto's and the genkernel howto but they dont talk about if the /usr/src/linux directory isnt there

Last edited by trsix on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
mw007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Is your portage snapshot up-to-date? Reply with quote

Is this directly from a fresh install? It sounds like your portage snapshot may not be up-to-date. When was the last time you did a
Code:

emerge --sync

It could just be the case that the file has recently been renamed on the mirror because of an update to the package.
trsix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip mw007

ok, currently doing the "emerge --sync" ... at the d's right now so this might take a while. ill run the emerge gentoo-sources after im done with the sync and let you know :)

dont go anywhere :)
trsix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were correct mw007, thats exactly what i needed to do.

emerge --sync

love it :) thanks so much

emerge gentoo-sources completed without a hitch and now my /usr/src/ directory has both the linux folder (which i understand to be a link to the following folder) and a linux-2.6.16-gentoo-r9 folder
tarpat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trsix wrote:
You were correct mw007, thats exactly what i needed to do.

emerge --sync

love it :) thanks so much

Hi,

I am not that lucky.
I did networkless install. During the install (which is networkless) network works just fine. Now that I have a base system there is no network. So I started diggin'.
It turns out that eth0 is not set up (listed in lspci but no clue in dmesg). Also turns out that dhcpcd is not in kernel.
Got the "easy" answer: enable the driver in kernel, eg. recompile w/ it. Then dont forget about emerging dhcpcd. (remember presently I dont have network)
So, I rtfm(s) as well, just to realize that genkernel is not installed (never seen a possibility to choose during install :(). So I take the manual way of recompiling the kernel just to realize that there is no /usr/src/linux ... :evil:

Could someone be so nice as to tell me where I could get a 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 source? In a way that I can transport it to my laptop (where I have gentoo w/ no network)

Thanks in advance!!

(Oh yeah, i searched the cd as well: no findings...)

Packard Bell Easynote A8400, Gentoo
Pentium M 1,73; 1GB RAM; 80GB HDD;
Mobil Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
mw007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. You said:

Quote:

During the install (which is networkless) network works just fine.

So, is your network functional when you are using the LiveCD, or no?

If it is, you can try booting in using the LiveCD, chrooting into your environment and emerging gentoo-sources that way since your network would be working.

If it is not, then you would need to download the gentoo-sources-<version> from one of the mirrors on another computer and use some media (cd, floppy, usb drive) to get the package onto your system.You would need to get the *.tar.gz file into /usr/portage/distfiles, then run the emerge gentoo-sources command again. I don't think the gentoo-sources package has any deps, so you should be good on that one.

Let us know how it turns out!

:D
tarpat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is the deal,

Solution 1.
As you suggested: download kernel sources from wherever and put it in its place (that was a valid possibility for me, since I have a working desktop pc). As soon as the sources are there one can run menuconfig (in the absence of genkernel) and compile kernel w/ the driver. The appropriate driver is obviously there in 2.6.15-r5 because there is network running during the installation as soon as eth1 is selected. However, if anyone is reading this post BEFORE installation, hesitating which way to go, I'd reccommend to continue reading...

Solution 2.
First meditate on the question how choosing the Easy Way strikes back and has it's vengeance. Realize how far you got from your real self (and Gentoo philosophy) by chosing that shiny-happy-graphical-install. :wink:
Then take a deep breath and start over with the network based installation. That is what I did.
I had a hassel at the beginning because none of the three ways in the Handbook to set up network were succesful. It did not work out-of-the-box, net-setup and adsl setup did not work either. Listing the available/loadable modules gave me a strange list as well :roll: (eg pcnet32 was not listed...) Then in my deepest dispair I typed
"modprobe pcnet32" which is given in the handbook just as an example... :oops:
Guess what? Network comes alive in a wink... :D
So I went on w/ install FLAWLESSLY (give thanks and praise to Gentoo-team, I just followed what was written in the handbook) until "reboot" (6:15 am...) where I ran into another embarassing thing (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-473561-highlight-.html) but it is solved already.

So right now I am still before the first boot (oh, well one has to work as well) but I have no doubt that it shall be all right.

Thanks everybody for your help. It is truely great to have people like you guys in this World.

I bet though that this is not quite the end of the story, there is the "Where to go from here?" part coming now :D

Thanks again!

Packard Bell Easynote A8400, Gentoo
Pentium M 1,73; 1GB RAM; 80GB HDD;
Mobil Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: