MPlayer movie size [fixed]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stupidkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: MPlayer movie size [fixed] Reply with quote

Hi, I wanted to play a movie using MPlayer. But when I double the size, only the window doubles but the video does not.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/stupidkid06/Mplayer.png

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

Last edited by stupidkid on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you were playing a video from console, I think the f key toggles full screen

Code:

man mplayer
stupidkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty strange, movie size works fine using mplayer form the console but resizing for gmplayer doesn't. Does anyone know why this is the case?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use xv as your video output. Or, use -zoom flag while calling gmplayer, if you are using x11 as the video output.
stupidkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks a lot, using xv fixed the problem. :)
spectatorion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: -zoom option Reply with quote

after a series of system updates, i began to have the same problem. when running mplayer from the console (or gmplayer), pressing "f" or scaling the window would not change the size of the movie, only the window. the actual video would stay the same size. running it with the -zoom option (as suggested in this thread) fixed the problem, but previously the zoom worked by default. does anybody have any ideas why this might be? xine scales to full screen with no problems. might the "xv" use flag be the issue? mplayer configured as follows:
Code:
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc1  USE="X alsa dvd gtk iconv jpeg matrox mmx png sse theora xvid -3dfx -3dnow -3dnowext -aac -aalib (-altivec) -amr -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -dga -directfb -doc -dts -dv -dvb -dvdread -enca -encode -esd -fbcon -ggi -gif -ipv6 -jack -joystick -libcaca -lirc -live -livecd -lzo -mad -mmxext -musepack -nas -openal -opengl -oss -real -rtc -samba -sdl -speex -sse2 -svga -tga -truetype -unicode -v4l -v4l2 -vorbis -win32codecs -x264 -xanim -xinerama -xv -xvmc" LINGUAS="-bg -cs -da -de -el -en -es -fr -hu -ja -ko -mk -nl -no -pl -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -tr -uk -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1  0 kB
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: -zoom option Reply with quote

spectatorion wrote:
might the "xv" use flag be the issue?

Yes. Add xv to the use flags and it will work.
spectatorion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: xv flag Reply with quote

thanks. enabling xv fixed the scaling problem for mplayer, but i don't have the xv use flag enabled for media-libs/libsdl, media-libs/xine-lib, or media-libs/libdv either. will enabling xv help me in any way? DVD playback in xine has been a little inconsistent. might the xv flag help with this? am i missing out on any functionality? i am running a fairly old system--733MHz P3--which sometimes complains about resources when playing video (although it is definitely more than capable). still, any performance gains i can muster would be beneficial.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"xv" is an X extension that enables hardware scaling (to get a fullscreen picture) and hardware colorspace conversion. Without xv, these things need to be done by the cpu and since these operations are very cpu intensive you will get a huge performance loss. So yeah, enable xv and use it for all apps that support it, your cpu will thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: