GL no longer working, black screen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraggy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: GL no longer working, black screen Reply with quote

I was a little irresponsible and didnt log all I must have updated about 2 months ago, and I have since recently restarted my system and now GL applications (only my games) don't load anymore. I don't get any errors, I just get black screens and the system hangs. I can easily kill the processes, so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, though I'm almost certain this is a GL problem.

I know it wasn't nvidia driver related, I've checked on that. The only other thing I can think of is that xorg might have been updated (I have not switched to modular X yet). I'm not sure what to do at the moment to fix this. I've spent a significant amount of time on my own to try to work it out but all my limited knowledge has left for option is to upgrade Xorg to 7. I don't really want to do this because I've seen a lot of people with issues in using modular X so far, especially with amd64 systems, and my cautious self is telling me to wait on that until things calm down.

The games I'm referring to are:
Neverwinter Nights
UT2004

the versions I'm running are:
xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6
nvidia-kernel-1.0.8762
nvidia-glx-1.0.8762

Any help I could get on this would be appreciated, with all I have to do (with more than 40hrs work/week) I don't get too much time to spend on things like this, though I do try a lot on my own. :-/
Mem: OCZ 1GB DDR 600 (PC 4800) Dual Channel

Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough.
hakbeest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/var/log/emerge.log should tell you what was emerged.

is there any console output when you start programs from it? ~/.xsessions-errors?
Fraggy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output is unrelated, only gaim related messages mainly.

I'd checked the emerge.log and so it would seem I'm on the same xorg version as I was before. I had also jumped around a lot of nvidia driver versions but that's understandable considering that since I've had this machine only certain versions of the drivers have been working on it. Believe me when I say though that I've run through all the available versions on the tree and none of them are working so my guess is that its not that.

These games did work before with no problem at all so I don't really know what the deal is since it's apparently not xorg (unless I suppose it was broken somehow).

[edit] I'd like to add that also dmesg says nothing about it at all, and that when I do run something, say, neverwinter, it will eat up my cpu cycles as normal, and sound will come up as normal as well. The program's running just the GL interface just doesnt seem to want to display anything.
Mem: OCZ 1GB DDR 600 (PC 4800) Dual Channel

Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: