View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fbvortex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Configuring "extra" button as double-click Reply with quote

I've finally been able to get my USB 4-button + scrollwheel mouse to work correctly in XOrg 6.8.2 using the correct options for mouse protocol, ZAxisMapping, and using xmodmap. The 4th clickable button generates a Button 6 event when pressed, which is interpreted as a "Back" navigation event in programs like Firefox and Konqueror. I am not using imwheel.

What I would like to do is map this 4th button to a double-click of button 1, X-wide. It doesn't seem like I can do this with xbindkeys & xvkbd or any other commonly suggested program(s). Have I missed something and can imwheel or xbindkeys & xvkbd do what I want? If not, how can I consume the button 6 event and make it look to all X programs as if it is a double click of button 1? With typical mouse drivers in windows for Logitech or Kensington mice, this kind of mapping is trivial to do...

Thanks.
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that this is possible, but you could do all sort of other things with your 4th mouse button: For example, I use it to move programs (via FVWM configuration).
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Configuring "extra" button as double-click Reply with quote

fbvortex wrote:
I've finally been able to get my USB 4-button + scrollwheel mouse to work correctly in XOrg 6.8.2 using the correct options for mouse protocol, ZAxisMapping, and using xmodmap. The 4th clickable button generates a Button 6 event when pressed, which is interpreted as a "Back" navigation event in programs like Firefox and Konqueror. I am not using imwheel.

Of course -- it's entirely up to the application in question which receives the mouse event what it does with it -- what did you think happens?

fbvortex wrote:

What I would like to do is map this 4th button to a double-click of button 1, X-wide. It doesn't seem like I can do this with xbindkeys & xvkbd or any other commonly suggested program(s). Have I missed something and can imwheel or xbindkeys & xvkbd do what I want? If not, how can I consume the button 6 event and make it look to all X programs as if it is a double click of button 1? With typical mouse drivers in windows for Logitech or Kensington mice, this kind of mapping is trivial to do...

Which window manager or desktop environment are you using? FVWM can do what you ask, although if it's mapping this to a specific application then you're most likely out of luck. Since you seem to have tried xmodmap already (I doubt you've looked at it too much), there's not a lot else you can do.

-- Thomas Adam
osmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be done with imwheel. This is how I have it configured for Logitech G5 on Debian:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "Configured Mouse"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option      "CorePointer"
   Option      "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
   Option      "Protocol"      "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option      "Dev Name"      "Logitech USB Gaming Mouse"
   Option      "Buttons"      "8"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping"      "4 5 6 7"
   Option      "Resolution"      "800"
EndSection

~/.imwheelrc
Code:
".*"
None, Thumb1, Button1, 2

/etc/X11/imwheel/startup.conf
Code:
IMWHEEL_START=1
IMWHEEL_PARAMS="-b "4 5 6 7 8""
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: