Upgrading to 2.5.x kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jobeus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Upgrading to 2.5.x kernel? Reply with quote

I've got a gentoo box running nicely with 2.4.20-r2, however I just thought it'd be neat to check out 2.5... If I were to recompile a 2.5 kernel, is there anything that's going to break real quick? (other than modules I've compiled in, such as alsa, nvidia, etc).
Jarjar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do as you do with your 2.4.x-kernels, everything will probably be fine. Just remember not to overwrite your current kernel if you have to go back (or even worse, if it doesn't boot).
You need to emerge module-init-tools to use 2.5 modules, but I think that's about all.
hrnick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember that the modules you want to load should be in /etc/modules.d.autoload/kernel-2.5, took me a while before I figured it out :)
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is do a full backup of your system before running a development kernel. I needed it when I tried 2.5.66's LVM2 for a day. Development kernels have a lot of bugs and usually it doesn't take too long until you run across one.
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try mm-sources versues development-sources, they usually are faster for me, also be sure to emerge module-init-tools before you reboot other wise your modules wont work
nickobnf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henrik wrote:
just remember that the modules you want to load should be in /etc/modules.d.autoload/kernel-2.5, took me a while before I figured it out :)

What's that /etc/modules.d.autoload dir? I haven't got it. May I create it? Will it be used automatically ?

BTW, I don't understand the way modules conf works exactly. What is the differences between modules.autoload, modules.d, modules.conf.....
How can we make modules loaded when needed ?

Thx
¤£ý§êrg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Quote:
What's that /etc/modules.d.autoload dir? I haven't got it. May I create it? Will it be used automatically ?

BTW, I don't understand the way modules conf works exactly. What is the differences between modules.autoload, modules.d, modules.conf.....
How can we make modules loaded when needed ?

the /etc/modules.d.autoload is created automatically when u emerge a 2.5xx kernel

to make modules load when u need em add em to the corresponding config in /etc/modules.d.autoload ie /etc/modules.d.autoload/kernel-2.4 so if u wanted say a wintv card to work u'd put bttv in /etc/modules.d.autoload/kernel-2.4 to make it work in the 2.4 kernel
likewise for the 2.5 kernel anything that requires modules to be loaded must be placed in the corresponding module config
if u know the u have say a via-rhine network card and u wana load it put it in there too.
The 2.5 kernels r ok more support for a lot more stuff :) just remember like the other dudes have said u will more than likely run into problems in the 2.5xx kernels
hope it helps if not sorry..
Pigeon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highpoint 37x RAID devices don't work.

And that's the sum of my experience with 2.5.xx kernels. *sigh*
saint_abroad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an Abit-kt7-raid (hpt370) and I don't mind that kernel 2.5.x doesn't support raid - it sucks anyways. I only use it for the extra ide connections.

If you want raid, use linux software (much faster) or get a proper hardware raid controller (much faster still)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: