Creating Mount Points
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlownFuse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Creating Mount Points Reply with quote

Each install guide states it differently.
rc2:
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo
# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
If you are setting up Gentoo Linux with a separate /usr or /var, these would get mounted to /mnt/gentoo/usr and /mnt/gentoo/var, respectively.

rc3 doesn't mention mounting /usr or /var.

And neither guide mentions any other partitions you might create ( specifically /home and /opt ) - whether they need to be mounted or not.

Gentoo has been more of a pain to install than I imagined - 5 tries over 8 days. Everytime something different doesn't work right. So I am trying to narrow down what I could be doing wrong during this install process. I am not a linux n00b, and unfortunately not a guru either - but I don't think I should be having this much difficulty installing. I must be doing something wrong, hehehe.
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking for help on something here?
I don't think the guide bothers mentioning the different partitions you could create as it knows those with enough knowledge to consider this will most likely know how to do it and thus the information would be no use to them and only confuse those looking for short simple instructions. Also rc3 does mention mounting /usr and /var go and look again:
Quote:

Next, we will create the /mnt/gentoo and /mnt/gentoo/boot mount points, and we will mount our filesystems to these mount points. Once our boot and root filesystems are mounted, any files we copy or create inside /mnt/gentoo will be placed on our new filesystems. Note that if you are setting up Gentoo Linux with separate /usr or /var filesystems, these would get mounted to /mnt/gentoo/usr and /mnt/gentoo/var respectively.

emphasis mine.
Edit: since it explains how to mount seperate /usr and /var explaining how to mount seperate /home and /opt would be somewhat redundant as it is obviously just going to be the same and there is no point in listing all the possible partitions you could mount, although I will admit a seperate /home is common and very useful thus it would not hurt for the install guide to mention it.
BlownFuse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes I am asking for help.
It does seem obvious (it did to me) that additional partitions would have to be mounted, like you said - I just wanted to make sure. I need to rule out the things I was unsure of during install, to try and fix this mess I have now.

Well I will just start with the problems at boot. Maybe someone can give me some insight.

*Bringing lo up...
*Initializing random number generator...
*Error initializing random number generator [!!]

INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
*Starting metalog...
start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/sbin/metalog: No such file or directory
*Failed to start metalog [!!]

*Bringing eth0 up...
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ...
*Failed to bring eth0 up [!!]

*Bringing eth1 up... [OK]

^^That cracks me up the most ... same NICs (Linksys), same modules (tulip) - but only found it for one of them? I don't get it.

*ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
"vcron" was not started.

And that is all I can see from boot, because I can't scroll up to see if there were any other errors ( or I don't know how :? ).

Then when I log-in:
-bash: /usr/bin/whoami: no such file or directory
-bash: [: =: unary operator expected

And whenever I try to open a text file with nano, I get this:

Error opening terminal: linux.

And there is no "emerge" command anywhere. I was going to try to re-merge metalog so I could at least have some logs to look at - but no emerge? I think I am screwed, and I am tired of re-installing. :(
I finally got the whole system to compile with no errors this last time (using rc4-stage1), only to get a mess when I boot.
It is probably something stupid I am missing, but after all the problems and re-installs I worked through to get to this point - my brain is mush.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use [shift][pgup] or [shift][pgdn] to scroll up & down the console text. If you have gone past that with other text, use the dmesg command to print out the kernel bootup messages. It does not re-print the the other startup services after the main kernel boot.

Add the kernel parameter 'noscsi' to the livecd or your install kernel as scsi interferes with the tulip driver. That will clear up some of your troubles.

Brian
BlownFuse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
use [shift][pgup] or [shift][pgdn] to scroll up & down the console text.

Thank you for that info, I kept trying pgup and pgdn with ctrl and alt - don't know why I didn't try shift. :roll:

The only other things I missed were a whole bunch of:

/sbin/runscript.sh: line 1: cut : command not found

/sbin/rc-envupdate: line 1: id: command not found

And then quite a few more runscript problems on different lines (44, 48, 63) - trying to access different /var/* directories ... and they weren't found.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you edit your /etc/fstab?

You have to change /dev/BOOT, /dev/ROOT, etc. to /dev/hda1, /dev/hda3, etc.. Of course change hda? to what you actually used when creating them.

Also if you did create aditional partitions for /usr, /var, /home you have to add fstab entries.

Hope it was just an oversight, Brian
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: