stage one: a second pass
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: stage one: a second pass Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying gentoo-basic-x86-1.4_rc3.iso, but stage 1 keeps complaining that it cannot find texinfo-4.3.tar.bz2, blah blah, on alpha.gnu.org. Has anyone have the same problem? I just follow the install instructions, so if things ain't working, don't blame me. According to the install manual, section 11.1:Bootstrapping,we have the simple commands

cd /usr/portage
scripts/bootstrap.sh

->no such file texinfo.bla bla bla bla

Convince me why I should waste days to get gentoo working, instead of a one-hour-clean-flawless-redhat-9-install. To all the folks of Gentoo: If it ain't broken,don't fix it!

Please help me out here, since an emerge sync is NOT doing the job.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing Gentoo is not quick & easy, but ask anyone who has Gentoo running if it is worth it, they will say YES !
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: stage one: a second pass Reply with quote

dvink wrote:

Convince me why I should waste days to get gentoo working, instead of a one-hour-clean-flawless-redhat-9-install. To all the folks of Gentoo: If it ain't broken,don't fix it!

IMHO RedHat just moves the problems from installation to every day use - if thats fine for you go ahead. Gentoo is a little harder to install, but after completion youll know how to deal with your system.

a suggestion:
Code:

cd /usr/portage/distfiles/
wget http://ftp.freestandards.org/pub/lsb/impl/packages/texinfo-4.3.tar.bz2

ok, just realized this will not work, because you havent bootstraped yet - maybe some smart guy will come along and tell us how bootstrap.sh should be modified in order to download this file from somewhere else. You could also start from another stage...
dvink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, but even my stage 2 fails and I get errors all over the place telling me files cannot be found. I think the install manual is an absolute minimum and does not anticipate these types of errors. I do believe that a working Gentoo system is very convenient, but the installation is too fragile. Please, revise the manual and include often occuring errors with work arounds. The current manual is almost simplistic, but as always, nothing is as good or as bad as it seems.
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two options:
1.) Define some different mirrors in make.conf.

If no mirrors work for you (make sure that they point to the proper directories), try this:

2.) ls /usr/portage/sys-apps/texinfo
Make note of the version numbers (4.5 is current stable according to the online db on gentoo.org) that comes up. Then go to /usr/portage/profiles/ and edit the default file for the bootstrap (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, it should be something like default-x86 or something). Search for texinfo (Ctrl-W in nano allows you to search). Where you see the version number of texinfo, change it to something that may work (try using just the equals sign instead of >=). All of the available versions currently in portage are listed in /usr/portage/sys-apps/texinfo. This is a much crummier way of getting it to work, so a new mirror should be your first choice if possible.

This is off the top of my head, so there may be inaccuracies. Not saying this is as elegant as sticking a Red Hat CD in your drive and clicking a few buttons, but it's at least a possible solution to your problem.
dvink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your tip. A new mirror solved the problem.

Dustin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: