Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
TASCAM USB Sound Card (122, 224 ... I don't care)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: TASCAM USB Sound Card (122, 224 ... I don't care) Reply with quote

Has anyone ever gotten one of these working.

There are some really old posts about it, including some from me, but my shit aint workin.

It was working with 2.6.14... but ever since 2.6.16 I can't get any output, either through alsa (hw:1,0) or oss (/dev/dsp1)

I can however get input through dsp in apps like audacity. I really would like to use this thing to its fullest potential instead of having a semi neat looking paperweight.

ty

gnac
Kisil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My US-122 is partly working - it works with jack but not alsa, and I have to load it manually after I boot (the USB address changes). Did you solve your problem, or am I further than you?
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get input (through alsa), but I haven't been able to get output. I do have to manually run usx2yloader to get it cookin.

What did you do under jack to get it to work?

I have jack installed, but haven't really dorked with it too much. I tried installing some qjackctl or some such, but it doesn't do much but crash.

ty
Kisil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using qjackctl, since it's pretty easy to see the settings there. I'm working on a script to auto-load the device on boot, since it moves around my USB ports. It'll be simple, I'm just not familiar enough with the languages I'm trying to use. I'll post that when I'm done.

The settings I found important were:
Realtime on (you have to compile realtime support as a module and add it to your modules.autoload.d, there's help on that somewhere else)
No memory lock off
1024 frames/period
2 periods/buffer
I'm told that the higher models have hardware monitoring / mixing, but my 122 doesn't, so I keep those modes off.

Setting input and output channels never seemed to actually do anything, except break it.

So doing all this, I can get it to work as a jack device, and get sound and midi in and out. I can't get it to work with alsa yet - alsa keeps reverting to my other sound card, my SB Live, which I should probably just take out.

I hope some of this was helpful. If you have any other insight let me know, because it's sad that this is the best I can do.
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info.

I'll revisit getting jack to work. Like I said, I do have input working in alsa. I have the system set up to use jack (realtime kernel mod et al) I just haven't played/troubleshot with it much after my initial failures.

I had put it all on the shelf, and only used the 224 when recording on the mike. Maybe between the two of us we can get these damned cards working correctly.

I know there are others out there using them, but the community involvement has been sparse.
Kisil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem to be a rare beast, this Tascam.

How did you get it working with alsa? If I run alsaconf, I don't see it as a device, and I don't know how to set it up manually.
gnac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsaconf will never see it, because alsaconf only looks for pci (and sometimes vesa) bus devices.

I had to manually configure my .asoundrc (in home directory) or /etc/alsasound per the alsa website.

Code:

#emu10k1 is my soundblaster
pcm.emu10k1 {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.emu10k1 {
type hw
card 0
}

#tascam is my us224, you can call it anything you want, eg us122, the key is that you use this as the device name in desired apps
pcm.tascam {
type hw
card 1
}

ctl.tascam {
type hw
card 1
}

I don't really understand the syntax of this conf file, but it allows you to create a named device (eg tascam) for use in your apps, eg audacity. If you are not going to use any other cards (your sblive) you can change the card number from one to 0.

At one point, I was able to get output through alsa, but a kernel upgrade "fixed" that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: