hardware raid1 encryption?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strowi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: hardware raid1 encryption? Reply with quote

hi,

i just spend some mony on a 2nd harddrive (both Samsung 200GB SATA2) to build a raid1.

I figured for security reasons to encrypt the raid1. I guess i will get that working with some help of the documentations, but i got still a problem understanding the encryption on raid-systems.

As far as i understood, the de-/encryption information is stored in different sectors of the harddisk. if i crypt a normal hdd, and those sectors get screwed, it's lost. How about a hardware raid1.. if i encrypt /dev/md0, and one hdd fails, will it still work?

I know raid1 mirrors the date, but does it also mirror the encryption information or are those stored somewhere else?

Another question that just appeared is: is it possible to store the passphrase on an usb-stick so that I would plug in the key can mount the harddisk like any other disk without entering the password?

hopefuly someone can shed some light on this for me...
occ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never actually tried it... but

a crypto-loop encrypted fs is a 'file'. it should be oblivious to the fact that there is a raid1 behind the scene.
so
Quote:

if i crypt a normal hdd, and those sectors get screwed, it's lost. How about a hardware raid1.. if i encrypt /dev/md0, and one hdd fails, will it still work?

the answer is whether that 'sector' (which is just a piece of a file) contain encryption info or other data is irrelevant, it is mirrored in a raid1 confiuration, so if you 'loose' one disk you should still be able to mount your crypto-loop filesystem....
Strowi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for clarifying this. I thought this way myself, but then again i wasn't sure if it would encrypt the raid as a whole disk, or only one of them and mirror it then... which seemed a little more obvious, but since it's ~100GB of data, i'd better be sure of that.;)

thx!
P3SM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use mirroring all data written to the first disk is synced with the second disk. That means it is only encrypted once and written twice. Your second disk is a full copy of the first, meaning that you should still be able to access the data on the second disk when the first one is damaged.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: