Before I start...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Before I start... Reply with quote

I plan to try an install of Gentoo this week. I have printed out the docs for hard-copy reference, and I'm going to use the rc4 stage 3 install.

My Current setup is thus:

PC: XP2000+ on Asus A7N-266C (nForce1) with 512Mb. GF4400 video card, and a Realtek 10/100 NIC
HDD: 1x120GB (All WinXP stuff): Primary Master; 1x40Gb IBM with 6.5Gb primary partition empty for Gentoo: Secondary Master.
Optical: CR-RW: Primary Slave DVD: Secondary Slave

Connections: 10/100 connection via cheap-ass 8-port switch to a W2k PC. Internet connection to the W2k PC is on a USB modem to PPPoE ADSL, shared to my PC via ICS.

I'm planning to use Bootmagic to point to my Gentoo install (for now at least).

I've asked in chat about installing on this setup, and the response were generally very encouraging and positive, but I'd like to know if anyone has any warnings, tips, comments, etc, that I should be aware of before I begin.

On a side note, I have a friend who is something of a linux fan and wants to try Gentoo, but he's confined to a dial-up connection (and a crappy one at that). Apart from giving him my stage3 install CD when I'm done, what else can I do for him?
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your hardware sounds fine, all supported AFAIK.

As for your net connection its just a matter of configuring your NIC with an IP, default gateway, DNS etc...

Go for it! Looks like your all set :)

I first installed Gentoo over a 56k from stage1, wasnt that bad either.. allthough I had a server handling my connection, redial and what not. Downloads auto resume after a disconnect.
Your mate may need to use wvdial during the install to handle his modem (if hes not on a network) Search the forums and take a look through Gentoo Docs, i'm sure its well documented.

Good Luck!
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't so much worried about my hardware being supported as the network/internet setup. It's an alcatel speedtouch BTW, but hopefully that should be irrelevant to Gentoo as long as it can get the W2k PC to talk to it.

I guess what I'm really asking is any pointers on "obvious mistakes to avoid". The docs are quite good and thorough, but I guess I'm asking about mistakes that are commonly made; not so much "what to do" as "what not to do"....

It's reassuring to hear about the resuming BTW. I generally get a disconnect once per day or so.

As for my friend, he connects at 33.6 if he's lucky. He also shares the connection with his wife's telephone demands. I'd rather give him a CD full of .src's ;o)
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Der tag Reply with quote

Update: I have sacrificed one (or possibly more if they were small ones) TREE worth of paper printing out all the conceivably-related documentations, I have my ~rc4 stage 3 boot CD, a new jar of olives, plenty of fresh OJ, a new notepad and I am ready to begin.

See you on #gentoo when the problems start ;o)
goldjd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Tip/side note Reply with quote

Once you boot from the live cd (and use passwd to change the root password using the passwd command) and have your net connex up and running you can do
Code:
 alt-f2
to open a new terminal. At which point type
Code:
# lynx http://www.gentoo.org
and you can use the lovely 'lynx' text based browser to read the install instructions. You won't even need your hard copies :)

Joshua Goldberg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are two main products of Berkley, CA:
BSD & LSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence...
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm hoping that the shiney rc4 installer lives up to all the big promises made (or implied) in the install docs!

BTW, to be on the safe side, I'm going to be disconnecting my WinXP HDD and installing direct to the second HDD's primary partition. I'm taking no chances.

Oooh, one last question: which filesystems should I use for my partitions? I was thinking of ext3 for BOOT and ReiserFS for the main partition. Is the basic BOOT/SWAP// suitable?
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: After reading a few threads Reply with quote

Should I disable ACPI, etc, in the BIOS?
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: my 5 cent... Reply with quote

ACPI: Well, just try. :) If something fails, you will know. :)

Partitions: The setup /boot, /, swap ist generally ok for a home setup. Maybe putting /home on a separate partition is an idea for you. You would be able to keep your data if something goes wrong with /. I have 2 disks for linux in my box, with one partition on each disk for / (raid-0) and one partition on each disk for /home (raid-1). If one disk would fail, I'd lose my gentoo, but my data is (hopefully) still there to recover...
I'm only using ext3. I still have the impression that this is the "maturest" of all linux filesystems. But this is just my opinion, cannot really proove other filesystems to be faulty (which they ain't, i'm sure)....

One note: Be sure not to mess up /dev/hda and /dev/hdc if you disconnect your WinXP-disk... :)

Good Luck!
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"One note: Be sure not to mess up /dev/hda and /dev/hdc if you disconnect your WinXP-disk... "

Will not gentoo see the XP HDD as hdb when I reconnect it? Should I not disconnect it? (I'm a little paranoid about losing my precious install, which I have spent a great deal of time getting just how I like it [insofar as XP will let me do so]...)
synapscape
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, there should be no problem with the disc being connected or not. Errors which lead to a "bombed" config so that you cannot boot into WinXP are 99% human errors.
What I meant was simply that you should avoid to confuse yourself with /dev/hda and /dev/hdc. After installing some time with just one disc in your system it could leave you thinking that this disc is /dev/hda (because it's the only one, must be /dev/hda then) :) Believe me, I've seen all kinds of errors when it comes to choosing partitions. I once made the mistake of installing grub into my Win98-partition, but not into the MBR (where it should have gone). This is what i wanted to say :)

Didn't want to confuse you!

To protect yourself you can backup your MBRs with "dd". This simply copies your mbr into a file so that you can recover it if something fails.

Backup your MBR with:

Code:

dd if=/dev/hda of=mbr.hda bs=512 count=1

If you want to recover it later do:

Code:

dd if=mbr.hda of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

same goes with the bootloaders of Win, but you will have to choose /dev/hda[b]1[/] instead.

Try searching for this topic, there's much...

If you want to be on a completely safe side, just write down your partitions on paper and keep it around! :)
slais-sysweb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V1m Fuego wrote:
Oooh, one last question: which filesystems should I use for my partitions? I was thinking of ext3 for BOOT and ReiserFS for the main partition. Is the basic BOOT/SWAP// suitable?

I use ext2 for /boot (and make it much smaller than the suggested 100MB) it is not mounted automatically at boot, so you will only mount it if changing the kernel or reconfiguring GRUB. There is no need for journalling really, keep it as simple as possible (ext2) and you will have the best change of finding it useable. I use ext3 for / and /usr but Reiserfs for /home and /var which should gain from its better performance with small files. YMMV
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's the human errors I'm most afraid of ;o)
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Filesystems Reply with quote

Thx, but I prefer to have as few FS as possible given that at least one must be journalled.

It doesn't really matter too much, as I suspect that my first install effort will eventually be tried and executed for crimes against my patience. (Especially since there's no AthlonXP optimised version of the rc4 stage3 install yet - which reminds me; can an install later be updated with specific optimisations? If so, Is this significantly easier than just reinstalling?)
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you have those Boot Magic floppies available...can't tell you how many times I've been screwwed over by not having the floppies when Boot Magic/Partition Magic messes up.
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? BM has always behaved very nicely for me. Actually, there is no floppy drive in this PC, but I have bootable CDs about the place.

BM is a useful expedient until I feel confident enough to mess about with grub. One thing at a time...
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good you have the boot magic CD's...I found grub amazingly easy thx to the good docs from Gentoo...all of about three commands...w00!
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is encouraging. Maybe it won't be long till I'm using grub.

Actually, the only bit I'm worried about is the internet connection. My setup:

V1mRig™ -> 10/100 switch -> W2k PC -> USB modem -> ADSL goodness
ICS-^

The W2k PC has "share this internet connection" enabled, and it's all via DHCP. I have my IP, subnet mask and default gateway.
The W2k PC is not mine; although I have admin access to it, I don't want to abuse it.
Now how easy will it be to get the W2k PC to hand over the bandwidth goodness to my gentoo install? The install docs are very positive about this not being a problem, but for some reason I just can't seem to accept that it will all go as smoothly as I keep being told.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet connection sharing should act as a DHCP server - so you should be able to get away just using that.

Otherwise, just set your IP's manually... 192.168.0.* for the laptop, and point to 192.168.0.1 for the gateway and DNS server (in resolv.conf) - but DHCP should take care of all of this for you.
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I guess that makes sense. Thanks. See new thread for discouragement...

PS It's not a laptop, sir! How dare you!
sms
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Before I start... Reply with quote

V1m Fuego wrote:
On a side note, I have a friend who is something of a linux fan and wants to try Gentoo, but he's confined to a dial-up connection (and a crappy one at that). Apart from giving him my stage3 install CD when I'm done, what else can I do for him?

Once you get your CD-Burner working you can burn a copy of the current, synced portage tree in /usr/portage, but better without /usr/portage/distfiles (as this place tends to get rather large over time. I have currently about 1.5 GB in there :P ) Then you can give your friend some current sources he wants from your /usr/portage/distfiles directory. He can either copy these sources to his /usr/portage/distfiles or mount the CD as the source directory (needs editing make.conf)

EDIT: 8O I meant GB instead of MB of course ... :roll:

Last edited by sms on Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
V1m Fuego
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, that's a handy tip.

PS But it'll be moot until the problem in my other thread gets solved. Any suggestions in that one would be most appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: