View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simbaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: [solved] gentoo crashes < running emerge gnome xscreensav Reply with quote

//edit solution

In the end it seemed to be an impaired cpu cooling. A little unconventional help (s.b.) solved it.

//edit

I tried to emerge gnome, but my Laptop keeps crashing while compiling. A complete power off.
The Laptop simply crashes no errormessages or anything, its like pulling the plug.

here is the last line I get when I try it via ssh.
Code:
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -c -ansi -pedantic -Wno-return-type -w  -I../../../../extras/Mesa/src/mesa                -I../../../../extras/Mesa/src/mesa/main               -I../../../../extras/Mesa/src/mesa/array_cache          -I../../../../extras/Mesa/src/mesa/math                 -I../../../../extras/Mesa/src/mesa/glapi              -I../../../../extras/Mesa/src/mesa/swrast               -I../../../../extras/Mesa/src/mesa/shader             -I../../../../extras/Mesa/src/mesa/x86          -I../../../../extras/Mesa/include               -I../../../include -I../../../../exports/include/X11 -I../../../dri -I../../../glx -I../../dri -I../../../include             -I../../../../exports/include/GL -I../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support -I../../../../programs/Xserver/GL/dri  -I../../../.. -I../../../../exports/include   -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L                             -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE                                 -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE                           -D_GNU_SOURCE                            -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO -DXTHREADS  -D_REENTRANT -DXUSE_MTSAFE_API    -DMALLOC_0_RETURNS_NULL -DGLXEXT -DXF86DRI -DGLX_DIRECT_RENDERING -DGLX_USE_DLOPEN -DGLX_USE_MESA -DUSE_X86_ASM          -O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing   s_triangle.c -o unshared/s_triangle.o

I am kind of a gentoo/Linux noob :D so I dont have any ideas where to start looking for misconfigures.

I run on a AthlonXP mobile 1800+ and use CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe" the gentoo installtion is a newborn child, no other emerges have been done yet execpt an update to portage.

My impression is an hardware error, but i never experienced anything before.

I followed the guide located here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnome-config.xml

thx in advance

simbaru

Last edited by simbaru on Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The processor is probably overheating and the bios shuts off the system. Do you have any cpu temp monitors like gkrellm or conky installed that you can use to watch the temp while compiling to see if the temp is getting too high?
simbaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
The processor is probably overheating and the bios shuts off the system. Do you have any cpu temp monitors like gkrellm or conky installed that you can use to watch the temp while compiling to see if the temp is getting too high?

tell me how and i will :D

trying to emerge OOo atm to check if it is and overheating

simbaru
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge gkrellm

Run it. (EDIT: the installed program name is gkrellm2, just FYI)

Right click on the system name display to get to the configuration options. Configure your sensors using the Builtins->Sensors section. You will have to have support for your hardware sensors either built into your kernel, loaded as modules, or through an external package like lm_sensors.

If you need them, there are multiple howto's and wiki entries for configuring hardware sensor support.

Hope this helps. (and I hope your cpu *isn't* overheating...)
BRPXQZME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, I had a laptop that did that once. It'd always shut off randomly, in both Windows and Gentoo Linux... even when it was doing nothing and was plugged in all night. The only way I ever stopped the problem was by disabling APM (or was it ACPI) in both OS's, and I never had the problem again. It was a mobile Pentium III so I never really worried too much that it'd overheat or anything. Maybe this is similar...

...or maybe it really is overheating. Watching and logging the sensors sounds a lot smarter :)
Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not FireFox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

FF = Final Fantasy.
simbaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
emerge gkrellm

Run it. (EDIT: the installed program name is gkrellm2, just FYI)

Right click on the system name display to get to the configuration options. Configure your sensors using the Builtins->Sensors section. You will have to have support for your hardware sensors either built into your kernel, loaded as modules, or through an external package like lm_sensors.

If you need them, there are multiple howto's and wiki entries for configuring hardware sensor support.

Hope this helps. (and I hope your cpu *isn't* overheating...)

sounds like I need a GTK for it, is there any way to do this in console mode?

thx

simbaru
simbaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRPXQZME wrote:
Come to think of it, I had a laptop that did that once. It'd always shut off randomly, in both Windows and Gentoo Linux... even when it was doing nothing and was plugged in all night. The only way I ever stopped the problem was by disabling APM (or was it ACPI) in both OS's, and I never had the problem again. It was a mobile Pentium III so I never really worried too much that it'd overheat or anything. Maybe this is similar...

...or maybe it really is overheating. Watching and logging the sensors sounds a lot smarter :)

sounds a lot harder to me too :D

well for one thing never ever happend when I run Windows XP (its a dual boot system) never ever happend when I ran SuSE (8-10), Mandrake, FC4. Guess its just me being a noob - after all this is my first "hand" compiled kernel ever, might be I did a bunch wrong.

The processor is an AMD AthlonXP mobile 1800+ and it runs for days under full usage with Windows. I did a bunch of stuff u normally don't use a Laptop for with it like rendering complex scences.

ATM i put a block of ice under the air ventilation to help the cooling :D no idea if it will help :D

If not I'll sure be back bugging u with the same old questions.

thx

simbaru
BRPXQZME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simbaru wrote:
ATM i put a block of ice under the air ventilation to help the cooling :D no idea if it will help :D
Probably the only thing you're doing wrong. That could introduce water into the system, obviously not ideal.

Since everything else seems to work, I doubt you have the same thing as I did (that is, a cpu temperature sensor that went on the fritz about a month after my mother threw the computer across the room-- just by luck it turns out someone else suggested the solution because their sensor died of natural causes and posted it where it was the first hit on google for me a couple of years ago). Okay, maybe yours died, but it shouldn't have if everything else still works...

If it's something you did with the kernel on the first try, I have only congratulations for you :)
Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not FireFox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

FF = Final Fantasy.
simbaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRPXQZME wrote:
simbaru wrote:
Probably the only thing you're doing wrong. That could introduce water into the system, obviously not ideal.

Since everything else seems to work, I doubt you have the same thing as I did (that is, a cpu temperature sensor that went on the fritz about a month after my mother threw the computer across the room-- just by luck it turns out someone else suggested the solution because their sensor died of natural causes and posted it where it was the first hit on google for me a couple of years ago). Okay, maybe yours died, but it shouldn't have if everything else still works...

If it's something you did with the kernel on the first try, I have only congratulations for you :)

Well it is probably not the first and best idea to cool down a PC with a block of ice, but it worked :D

emerge openoffice
also emerged xorg and gnome that took a bunch of hours all together, but went through with the only complain, that my diskspace seems to be low.

haven't tested the outcome yet but at least the laptop didn't shut down on me again. As to my external cooling imrovements, I made sure no water could exidently get into the laptop. I guess the real reason for overheating (and i believe that was the problem) was that the little rubber feet unter my laptop have worn off over time and the distance between fan opening und underground just was too small, so the ciculation was impaired. I let the side with the cpu hang over the table and put the ice in a bowl under the fan opening where air is sucked in. So just a little precooling effect was all i added to clearing the way for unhindered air ciculation.

Thanks for all your suggestions and hints.

I consider this solved, well at least until my gentoo shuts down on me again ;)

cheers
simbaru

//edit
was wrong with my assumption, gnome is not yet merged completely though gnome-base was merged with openoffice, well I'll see how far the laptop gets this time. I tried it with emerge gnome this time and let go off xscreensaver
BRPXQZME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, CPU throttling is another option :lol:

If it really is the rubber feet, you can buy new ones at Radio Shack or something (although the people there might not exactly know where they are off the top of their heads). Stopped scuffing up my plastic PowerBook and the adhesive was mighty strong.

FF = Final Fantasy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: