scroll lock (^s)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: scroll lock (^s) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Any ways to turn off ^s and ^q scroll locking functionality somehow? I understand this is an old common behaviour, however I've certain console applications where I have to use these combinations, which then, of course locks up my term instead of executing the desired function.

(looking for some global way, so don't want stty -ixon in my .bashrc :>)

Ta,
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other Things Gentoo.
Doesn't seem to be about getting gentoo installed, so moved here (and assuming it has anything to do with gentoo at all)

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: scroll lock (^s) Reply with quote

mbjr wrote:
(looking for some global way, so don't want stty -ixon in my .bashrc :>)

I don't think there's a way around that as that is pretty basic functionality of a tty.
(Actually my guess that it's very, _very_ old functionality because it does make sense on a teletype even more than it does on a (glass) terminal. I really don't want to reasearch that by browsing /etc/etermcap though.)

If you want to turn it off globally you can do the stty thing in /etc/profile or /etc/bash/*.

All things considered though the right way to do it would be to fix the app expecting those keystrokes, because IMO _that_ is broken behaviour for a tty app.
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Well, that's the best I could figure, however the strangeness of this behavior lies in the different system upgrades - nixnut, here is the part where we're related to gentoo -. I've been experiencing this caps lock alternative things first, when I was playing around with the hardened sources. Moving back to my old kernel (2.6.16-r11-gentoo) solved this issue, however by upgrading to 2.6.17-gentoo it just appeared again.
I've been spending a day seeking for any special kernel settings that might cause this, useless, also went through /etc/*termcap seeking for such (these had every piece of functionality listed and set, except for the ones I'm suffering from :-))

Googling around didn't help much, however at least there's a manual way to turn this off, which I'm going to use for the mean time.

Not changing the topic to [solved] for now, as I've been looking for a way to leave my profile and bash settings untouched.

Thanks,
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^s and ^q are even the scroll lock keys for DOS and Win* cmd prompts... Where did these apps come from anyway?
mbjr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by "these apps" you mean the apps on my end setting these key sequences to various functions?
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbjr wrote:
by "these apps" you mean the apps on my end setting these key sequences to various functions?

Yep. I can see how they would get away with using those sequences in DOS as most DOS programs grabbed the input directly. (and also wrote directly to video memory for speed) ((I've written programs guilty of doing both in the past))

By the way, when you are searching for where this occurs, you might try looking for xon and xoff, which is the protocol being used by these key sequences.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: