mp3 playback in amarok w/ xine engine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawvrana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: mp3 playback in amarok w/ xine engine Reply with quote

So, I just did a new gentoo install and am having problems with mp3 playback with the xine engine in amarok. The gstreamer engine stutters when I playback my mp3s, so I want to use xine. Gstreamer has never quite worked for me, and so I've always used xine from w/in amarok. Anyway, xine won't play the mp3s at all, amarok just skips over the mp3s, scrolling through the playlist very quickly. Is there something I need to do to get the xineengine to playback mp3s?
Thanks.
maigret
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here. My ogg files are played without problems, just the mp3s fail...
tane_stelzer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly have u compiled the xine-lib with mp3 support anyway just recompile it to make sure and then just recompile amarok with xine use flag. Does that help?
Tane
shawvrana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, both mp3 and xine are in my use flags and were definitely there when I compiled amarok and everything else. (I just did a fresh install and took the make.conf from a backup of the system prior to the install--don't ask)
isolationism
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution to this problem is in this post.
shawvrana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Worked like a charm.
fxjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm having this problem too.

I had mad in my use flags and compiled xine-lib with it. But I'm still not able to play mp3 with amarok.

Code:

emerge -pv xine-lib

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.2_pre20060328-r9  USE="X aac alsa arts dvd esd ffmpeg mad opengl sdl vorbis win32codecs xv -a52 -aalib -asf -debug -directfb -dts -dxr3 -fbcon -flac -gnome -imagemagick -ipv6 -libcaca -mng -modplug -oss -samba -speex -theora -v4l -vcd -vidix -xinerama -xvmc" VIDEO_CARDS="-i810 -nvidia -via" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

This is my libmad:

Code:

emerge -pv libmad

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/libmad-0.15.1b  USE="-debug" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Is there anything else I should do?

Is there some xine log? Maybe it isn't being able to use libmad?

Thanks in advance.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
isolationism
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxjr wrote:
Hi, I'm having this problem too.

I'm about as far as you can get from being an expert in the matter, but can you eliminate the possibility that it's "just" mp3 causing the problem? For example, you have the vorbis USE flag -- do you have an ogg file you can play to see if it works? If the ogg doesn't work either, then the mad flag probably isn't the problem.

The only thing I can see in there that might change matters is the OSS flag, which for me, is enabled. The rest doesn't seem like it'd make a difference, but your experience with playing an ogg file (whether it works or not) would probably suggest an appropriate next step. Another thing you might do is see if you can get anything else to produce sounds in KDE/Gnome. Can you hear the startup sound when you startx? If not, might be an issue with the sound card and not Amarok specifically ...
fxjr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi isolationism.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeap. I can get all sound working. I have the following in my use flags:

Code:

USE="alsa acpi dvd dvdread network live nptl cups sse sse2 mpeg apache2 mmx mozilla svg kerberos jikes -oss -apm audiofile cdparanoia no_wxgtk1 win32codecs xine musicbrainz encode ieee1394 mmxext mplayer hal dbus cdr -xmms dri -ipv6 gtk2 x264 aac ffmpeg bzip2"

Also, I can play ok with mplayer.

I think it is very strange amarok isn't being able to play mp3 files :(

This is the output I got when compiling lib_xine:

Code:

./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-gnome --disable-nls --disable-ipv6 --disable-samba --disable-altivec --disable-v4l --disable-mng --disable-imagemagick --enable-faad --disable-flac --with-ogg --with-vorbis --disable-speex --disable-a52 --with-external-a52dec --enable-mad --with-external-libmad --disable-dts --with-external-libdts --with-x --disable-xinerama --disable-vidix --disable-dxr3 --disable-directfb --disable-fb --enable-opengl --disable-aalib --disable-caca --enable-sdl --disable-oss --enable-alsa --enable-arts --enable-esd --disable-vcd --without-internal-vcdlibs --disable-asf --enable-w32dll --disable-modplug --with-external-ffmpeg --disable-polypaudio --disable-optimizations --disable-xvmc --with-xv-path=//usr/lib --with-w32-path=/usr/lib/win32 --enable-fast-install --disable-dependency-tracking --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu

Note that --enable-mad flag being used.

Code:

make[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/xine-lib-1.1.2_pre20060328-r9/work/xine-lib-1.1.2cvs/src/libmad'
/bin/sh ../../libtool-nofpic --mode=compile i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../include -I../../include -I../../src -I../../src/xine-engine -I../../src/xine-engine -I../../src/xine-utils  -I../../src/input -I../../src/input  -I../../lib    -fvisibility=hidden -DNDEBUG -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DXINE_COMPILE  -march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -falign-functions=4 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -ffunction-sections -c -o xineplug_decode_mad_la-xine_decoder.lo `test -f 'xine_decoder.c' || echo './'`xine_decoder.c                                                                                       mkdir .libs                                                                                                                               i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../include -I../../include -I../../src -I../../src/xine-engine -I../../src/xine-engine -I../../src/xine-utils -I../../src/input -I../../src/input -I../../lib -fvisibility=hidden -DNDEBUG -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DXINE_COMPILE -march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -falign-functions=4 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -ffunction-sections -c xine_decoder.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/xineplug_decode_mad_la-xine_decoder.o                    In file included from ../../src/xine-engine/refcounter.h:27,                                                                                              from ../../src/xine-engine/xine_internal.h:37,                                                                                           from xine_decoder.c:39:                                                                                                 ../../config.h:70:1: warning: "FPM_INTEL" redefined                                                                                      In file included from xine_decoder.c:30:                                                                                                 /usr/include/mad.h:27:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition                                                        xine_decoder.c:373: warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type                                                 /bin/sh ../../libtool-nofpic --mode=link i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DOPT_SPEED -DNDEBUG -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DXINE_COMPILE  -march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -falign-functions=4 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -ffunction-sections  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s -o xineplug_decode_mad.la -rpath /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.1.2 -avoid-version -module xineplug_decode_mad_la-xine_decoder.lo  ../../src/xine-engine/libxine.la -lmad -lm                                                libtool-nofpic: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../..//libfreetype.la' seems to be moved
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -shared  .libs/xineplug_decode_mad_la-xine_decoder.o  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/xine-lib-1.1.2_pre20060328-r9/work/xine-lib-1.1.2cvs/src/xine-engine/.libs ../../src/xine-engine/.libs/libxine.so -L/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/../../../ /usr/lib/libmad.so -lm  -march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,-soname -Wl,xineplug_decode_mad.so -o .libs/xineplug_decode_mad.so
creating xineplug_decode_mad.la
(cd .libs && rm -f xineplug_decode_mad.la && ln -s ../xineplug_decode_mad.la xineplug_decode_mad.la)
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xine-lib-1.1.2_pre20060328-r9/work/xine-lib-1.1.2cvs/src/libmad'

By checking configure output, it seems to be using external libmad. I will try to remove libmad and recompile libxine.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: