View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luksedj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Firefox and Thunderbird stop resolving hosts Reply with quote

Hi,

since my update of world yesterday, both firefox and thunderbird stopped trying to resolve hostnames. I can use them with ip addresses, everything works.

When using hostnames i get the box 'www.example.com could not be found'. With TCPdump is don't see any attempt to resolve the hostname. Any other application has no problem resolving hostnames (gaim, ssh, ping, telnet, links,...)

Normally i update on daily basis, but now it has been 14 days or so. In the latest update was the latest gtk and glib and a bunch of others, which don't seem to have much to do with firefox.
i had to unmerge cairo and openmotif before the update wanted to start. After the update a ran revdep-rebuild, once for the new libexif, and once again for everything. Nothing special there.

Has anybody got any suggestions at all? They would be greatly appreciated, as i have already googled a lot.

An interesting thing maybe: on mozillazine.org there is an article which tries to solve the exact same problem, but there the only suggestions are problems with firewalls (which are not present on my laptop) and windooz-settings. Most suggestions are 're-start, re-install, etc...' I have already rebuilt firefox and glib, without any succes.

thx for helping me out of this!

luksedj
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat you resolve hosts via the command line using dig?
luksedj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: all other (non mozilla) applications can resolve any hosts Reply with quote

yes i can resolve anything on the command line

luksedj
neilhwatson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try clearing the browser cache. Also, make sure the browser's setting are correct.
luksedj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the tips, but none of them helped, as I already expected. The browser cache has nothing to do with thunderbird not trying to resolv the addresses of the pop mailservers.

Really weird...

Luksedj
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei
I've been using kmail for ever and thought I would take a look at Thunderbird today.. some compile for a mail client!

Anyway, I set it up OK, and downloaded a bunch of mail, however, I'm used to clicking on urls in messages and being taken to the site by the default browser - with thunderbird nothing happens other than the url being shown at the foot of the browser.

I am getting so mad with this, I could spit! grrr!!
Anyone, pls help my blood pressure - where the heck can I enable this?
Sull
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Well after a phew day of uptime my linux stop resolving host of some site,
making him posible on command line but completely slowing if not stoping firefox webpages.

It caused by the nscd service who save DNS information. Try to get it restart or stopped completely.

Code:

su
/etc/init.d/nscd stop
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: accessing urls in messages Reply with quote

thanks for the tip, but I'm not running nscd here.. I can live without Thunderbird, but it was frustrating to see no mention at all, anywhere, about accessing urls in messages, on any of the faqs, knowledgebases, etc.
mvh

edit: incredible.. found a solution from last august - just add the following to prefs.js
Code:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "firefox");

see also https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-302479-start-100.html near the bottom
des09
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox and Thunderbird stop resolving hosts Reply with quote

luksedj wrote:
since my update of world yesterday, both firefox and thunderbird stopped trying to resolve hostnames. I can use them with ip addresses, everything works.

When using hostnames i get the box 'www.example.com could not be found'. With TCPdump is don't see any attempt to resolve the hostname. Any other application has no problem resolving hostnames (gaim, ssh, ping, telnet, links,...)

luksedj

I am experiencing simil;ar probs here except that I am running mozilla.
Luksedj, did you find a solution?
dezydery
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. After some hours or days, Firefox can no longer resolve DNS and I can't get any more sites until I restart Firefox. System and network definitely fine, it's just Firefox. It's possible (not sure) that it slows down before actually stopping. I'm much more likely to see this problem if I use Google Maps, but in most browsing sessions I don't use that site and still have a problem.

Firefox 1.5.0.4 (but seen in for a good while in the 1.5 series)
bmeagle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced the same problem with firefox 1.5.0.4 after doing a emerge -DN world, I could dig or ping anything but firefox was down, I wasn't running nscd.
I started nscd, restarted firefox and all was well again. Weird!?!
Why does firefox now suddenly require the nscd daemon for resolving?
dezydery
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what nscd is but on my system it's not currently running and not set to start up at boot.

Also, this nscd thing doesn't easily explain why my Firefox itself is good after a restart - so maybe we have different flavours of the problem...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: