Hidden data [unsolved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jph_void
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Hidden data [unsolved] Reply with quote

Hi, im facing something curious. I copied data from an ext3 partition to an other in fat32 format.
The probleme now is when i mount the last one i can only see a empty "lost+found" folder. I don't exactly know what is the purpose of this folder.
I have visualise hexadecimal content of the partition, and i saw that my datas are still here. I can simply just not acces it.

Im asking for softwares wich will help me recovering my hidden data.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of lost+found is basically to give fsck somewhere to put chunks of data it recovers when told to do such things as it is checking or repairing a filesystem.

As for the data on that partition, why not fsck the partition, checking for bad blocks, then recopy the data from the ext3 partition?

Failing that you might find mundelete to be of use. A quick set of searches yields no ebuilds for it or similar packages.
flybynite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden data [unsolved] Reply with quote

jpcohen wrote:
I copied data from an ext3 partition to an other in fat32 format.
i can only see a empty "lost+found" folder. I don't exactly know what is the purpose of this folder.

lost+found probably got copied from the ext3 partition, or you may be looking at a freshly formatted ext2/3 partition.

check which kernel module your loading. There are two. fat and vfat. fat doesn't support long filenames. I've heard that mounting a partition with fat instead of vfat could cause problems.

Code:

grep FAT /usr/src/linux/.config
# DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y

y or m is ok.

If m, use this to see if vfat is loaded.
Code:

lsmod
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the fat module instead of the vfat module should not result in the files not being listed; it should however result in the files being shown with names which have been mangled so as to fit, uniquely, into the 8.3 name format FAT used prior to VFAT. Please note the occurrences of should in the prior sentence before entering righteous indignation mode when replying.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks to Other Things Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: