Installing Gentoo for the first time!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentoobie penguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo for the first time! Reply with quote

Hey guys! I am going to install Gentoo for the first time (for a learning experiance). I have only had little experiance with ubuntu. I know nothing on command line and wouldl ike to keep my Windows XP partition intact so i can go play my games. I will use Partition Magic 8.0 to partition 150gb for Gentoo (So i dont pwn my Windows in the face). I printed out the 100 page handbook.

I just need some tips to partition that free space into my Gentoo install. And also any other tips.

Thanks in advance gus!
xandris
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking about what method to use to partition your free space or about a recommended partition layout?

For the former, the installation handbook is very thorough. You can use the fdisk tool from the CD's boot environment, but if you have a nice graphical tool with which you are comfortable, then why bother? Because you're in it for the learning experience, of course. =)

For the latter, I can only speak for what I have. My partitions:

• 50MB boot partition, nice and roomy for lots of kernels. I use the non-journalling ext2fs here because I feel that ext3 or reiser would be overkill. I hope others would agree!
  • 512MB swap space. I've never seen it used....
  • The rest for root, using ext3fs (journalling ext2)

I'm opening myself up to criticism for that last part; others like to split off /usr or /home into seperate partitions. I can see why, but it's more work for a lazy person like me. I also have Windows installed, but it gets its own HDD.

One thing you may want to consider is a small FAT partition to transfer files between your operating systems. You can read NTFS reliably from Linux, but reading the many Linux filesystems takes more effort in Windows. The existence of thumb drives makes this somewhat unnecessary =)

Read carefully about installing the bootloader. Are you going to let the Windows bootloader go first and chain to your Linux bootloader, or are you going to do it the other way around? The advantage of the latter is that you can more quickly load a superior OS =)

For gaming, have you considered Cedega? The fee may be annoying, but it's very convenient and I applaud it if it encourages more people to try Linux.

Oh, and ask more questions. My post count is too low =)
Gentoobie penguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i suppose. I will be installing ALOT of stuff. To play around with of course :)

Quote:
Read carefully about installing the bootloader. Are you going to let the Windows bootloader go first and chain to your Linux bootloader, or are you going to do it the other way around? The advantage of the latter is that you can more quickly load a superior OS =)

I'll use GRUB. Or Lilo. What ever works best.

Quote:
For the former, the installation handbook is very thorough. You can use the fdisk tool from the CD's boot environment, but if you have a nice graphical tool with which you are comfortable, then why bother? Because you're in it for the learning experience, of course. =)

Yeah screw partition magic. Ill just make backups of important stuff then try it. Learning FTW eh?

Quote:
For gaming, have you considered Cedega? The fee may be annoying, but it's very convenient and I applaud it if it encourages more people to try Linux.

I used to play Runescape and that was $12 AUD a month. I'll see about Cedega. Sounds good.

Thanks ;)

Also everyone comment in please ;) i can use everyones help and sagely advice!
bdm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoobie penguin wrote:
I used to play Runescape and that was $12 AUD a month. I'll see about Cedega. Sounds good.

You won't need Cedega to play Runescape as it's a browser game I believe. You would only most likely need the proper support from your browser.
Dewey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass Casket wrote:
Gentoobie penguin wrote:

You won't need Cedega to play Runescape as it's a browser game I believe. You would only most likely need the proper support from your browser.

The only reason he mentioned runescape was to show that he did not mind paying fees, atleast that's what I grasped from the quote.
Gentoobie penguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i meant that. It isnt much at all is it?
Stormblazer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boot loaders, I would reccomend GRUB, as LILO can't be configured while it's running, and GRUB tends to have more features. The configuration while running is critical if the grub config every gets messed up, and is generally very convenient if you ever wanna add an extra option to the boot to see what happens, and other stuff like that.

I would strongly reccomend getting more aquainted with the CLI though, and make sure you have a good internet connection (preferably ethernet to start with, as it seems like only a handful of wireless cards work right away).
13thpriest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: GRUB is better Reply with quote

I would always insist GRUB. It is much better than LILO as it can be configured using setup-grub command. You should try to be familiar with the CLI more than the graphical user interface. CLI offers much more flexibility than GUI.
Gentoobie penguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have an ethernet network with a router with DHCP! so that should be the easy part!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: