Want some info before install on a amd turion x2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cisbrane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Want some info before install on a amd turion x2 Reply with quote

hello,

i just ordered my new HP Laptop w/ the AMD Turion X2 64 bit processor and i need some help.

since it's a dual core 64bit processor, should i choose the amd64 install? also what kind of
kernel do i need to take advantage of both cores?

it also has some "special" SATA HDD because when ppl try to reinstall win xp, they all seem to have some issues with that driver...

it also has a Broadcom wireless card... is their any way to support that inthe 64bit linux..? apparently it's hard to find a working x64 driver for ndiswrapper so... yeah...

plase help

thanks

cisbrane
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You need the AMD64 install CD.
2. You have to configure the kernel with SMP.
3. depends on the chipset
4. LAN?
cisbrane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could use lan i guess ( i heard some ppl having trouble w/ it in Ubuntu i think) but i would rather like to be mobile.

how do i configure kernel w/ smp? is that in the install manual?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Turion processors use x86 instructions with some extensions using the AMD64 install CD is optional, if you want to you can (or at least should be able to) use a vanilla 32 bit install CD and only later switch to 64 bit after more problems have been worked out or you actually need a 64 bit environment for some reason. Same goes for SMP, although I do not know of any real reason to do that.

As for how to configure your kernel for SMP, it is covered in brief in the Handbook.
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AMD Athlon64 is a real 64 Bit processor with a 32 Bit mode.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but currently in some circumstances using the 32 bit version of the OS is better from a usability standpoint. Certain packages are only available in such a way as to make use in a 64 bit environment inconvenient (32 bit binaries), these may include drivers for hardware in the system making using chroot a rather less viable prospect.

I was not and am not specifying what to do, I was and am offering options as to what could be done to suit the users needs, preferences and whims. Though obviously the choice of a Turion is indicative of at least an interest in using a 64 bit environment.
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?
In 64 Bit the processor works much faster.
I have a AMD Athlon64 and the two installed OS are 64 Bit.
Everything works fine apart from some programs like flash or openoffice, which are only 32 Bit.

Actually the linux kernel does not support swiching to 32 Bit mode. A 32 Bit emulation lib is needed.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:
Why?
If you keep in mind that in some situations convenience is paramount, you will find the answer to this question later in your own post.
Keruskerfuerst wrote:
Everything works fine apart from some programs like flash or openoffice, which are only 32 Bit.

Keruskerfuerst wrote:
In 64 Bit the processor works much faster.
I make no claim to the contrary.
Keruskerfuerst wrote:
I have a AMD Athlon64 and the two installed OS are 64 Bit.
To attempt to steer this topic back towards the initial query, do you use chroot to maintain a 32 bit arena for Flash, OpenOffice.org and any other 32 bit specific packages or do you use alternative packages?
Keruskerfuerst wrote:
Actually the linux kernel does not support swiching to 32 Bit mode. A 32 Bit emulation lib is needed.
The option I noted earlier in this topic was basically to, if needs or wants or whims be, basically ignore the 64 bit nature of the processor and let it run an entirely 32 bit operating system, no mode switching. For some things, such as you point out, users will probably want some way of running 32 bit programs even with an otherwise fully 64 bit operating environment.

Note that I am not actually recommending that the system be installed in this way, I am merely offering an option. Just another thing to consider the advantages and disadvantages of.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: