View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annunaki2k2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Mass Gentoo Installation vs. Ubuntu??? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a problem:

At work (a big university in London), I have been asked to research and prepare/demonstrate a managed Linux desktop solution. The specification is very weak and subject to change, but basically It will have to be:
    Installable via PXE
    Work on a variety of different hardwares
    Entirely remotely managable
    Current/regulary up-dated
    Minimal maintenance (easy deployment of fixes/updates)
    User groups/roles meaning additional packages on groups of machines (could make it tricky?)
    Start with 15-20 machines, if successful, scale up to potentially 1000+ PCs (incluing a possible thin client version)

I have a few ideas on how I want to do this, but the issue is: they want to use Ubuntu.

I should clarify; "they" means my colleagues who will have to use and maintain it. As far as I can tell there is no specific reason for this other than they have heard good things of it, it has regular releases and it uses the well known debian package managment system.

Being a Gentoo devote, obviously I'm not happy with this. I want to use Gentoo because I understand the simplicity and flexability of the portage system.

I need to be able to argue a very strong case here becuase otherwise I am on my own.
I'm sure it's been asked/discussed before, but what are the pro's and con's as you see them of gentoo versus ubuntu?

To make a start:-
    Pro: Gentoo is easy (in my view) to set-up, customise, & automate. Using binary packages rather than source builds it would be easy to maintain a base system.
    Con: Ubuntu uses the well established debian apt system and many companies release ready made .deb files for thier software
    Con: Ubuntu already has its own netboot pre-built package and the debian preseed install ability

If I am wrong and Gentoo isn't better than ubuntu at this then I am perfectly willing to back down, so honest answers please.

Thank you all for your time.

Hopefullly you will succed in helping me increase the Gentoo population.
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo and Ubuntu, and tbh i would go for ubuntu in that particular case.
I have never deployed Linux Workstations on a large scale, but i fear maintenance cost will be a lot higher with gentoo unless everything is perfectly planned.
-There is a lot more documentation on large scale deployments for Ubuntu/Debian
-Overall Ubuntu has a more polished Desktop experience out of the box, Gentoo needs more tinkering.
I love Gentoo for it's flexibility, but i think for a room full of boxes that should simply work ubuntu is the better choice.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with Ubuntu!!!

Gentoo is by far the best linux distribution out, but if it comes to desktops its always a question of who will use and administrate it. Like Ctrl+Alt+Del said, its alot of tinkering to get Gentoo to run everything like its supposed and you want it to. Ubuntu runs "out of the box" and it also got special deployment features afaik, so its definitely the better choice for this purpose.
BRPXQZME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER AND BACKGROUND: I maintained 40 Debian systems concurrently last year and hated every minute of it. I use Gentoo even in places where it really shouldn't be used.

Apt-based systems are far more suited to the task in my opinion, as much as I hate to say it. At my high school (I just graduated, but it will be awkward to use the past tense here, so just bear with), we currently run LTSP off an Ubuntu system (although I don't know what they're cooking up for next year; since they just got a grand-spanking-new 8GB RAM multiple AMD64X2 machine to run it or something like that, I think the guy in charge of that is considering Gentoo just for the sickness of WHEE IT COMPILED IN 40 SECONDS OMFG LOVE).

The crown jewel of the school's computing system is the Linux lab, which runs Debian workstations of varying hardware configurations that we "image" (using systemimager; we can netboot them, too, but that doesn't use rsync and takes a long time for a potential 20GB image).

Basically, APT has a bunch of automagical stuff that makes a lot of the administration hands-off, especially with the different hardware stuff. We had a sysadmin a couple of years back who made even more automagical stuff that we dubbed satanic black magick-with-a-k and we basically started the whole system from scratch and it worked plenty fast (NOTE: if you do it right, it is hard to distinguish the performance of a Debian system and a Gentoo system just by doing normal usage of the system; if you do it WRONG, the Gentoo system is actually annoyingly slower, then again, you can also make the Debian annoyingly slower, but I have no idea how to do that. A lot of it probably had to do with the aforementioned black magick-with-a-k). One of the things we did to get rid of the need for More Magic(tm) was to uniformly use NVIDIA video cards throughout the lab. I wasn't involved in redoing the system (I was lazy among other things :) ), so I can't tell you what work went into ensuring the correct hostkeys and stuff (which is one of the only annoying problems when doing a lab with an imaging system like that according to the people who did do it). Did I mention we use Kerberos logins and AFS homedirs just to make it even harder on everything?

In the end, though, since we really don't need any of the features Gentoo affords (and also because it's way easier to clean out leftover APT packages than Gentoo stuff), Debian works great, because it's pretty stable, runs fast as it needs to (admittedly, we aren't exactly running a render farm or anything, but we do at least teach supercomputing applications and you don't need USE flags or ricer kernels for that), can pull the correct version of NVIDIA drivers in and out in a jiffy, only needs an apt-get update apt-get upgrade 99% of the time (because the guy who set it up wasn't a moron, unlike the sysadmins who made the image I maintained and probably got ulcers from), can pull new images in the time it takes me to emerge --sync, can easily run various profiles of different systems if we wanted to but we currently don't ("these four will have video apps, these nine will be for Java dev"), supports hundreds of student and teacher logins EVERY DAY with uniform behavior across workstations, etc. etc. etc.

Gentoo can do all of these, but unfortunately it is not fast enough for the impatient sysadmin, nor is it AS easy to pull off all the funky junk we do. Of course, I think the school is running all those LTSP workstations as a test run next year; who knows, perhaps the year after that the majority of the computers in the school will just be running Linux through a super-powerful LTSP server cluster! Computers are fast enough today that we can do it, it's easier to maintain, cheaper, and the fact is that our school has too many computers and not enough computers faster than a Pentium 3 (and one year ago, I would have said Pentium).

I think this is probably the only good thing I'll say about Debian and Ubuntu and binary-based packaging systems in a long time.
Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not FireFox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

FF = Final Fantasy.
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can you should come to the london gentoo meeting. There will be a consultant speaking about mass deployment of gentoo:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dsd/gentoo-uk-2006/speakers.htm (Andrew Cowie)

I think there are still a couple of places available. Otherwise you could try to persuade dsd to let you in anyway.
annunaki2k2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl+Alt+Del wrote:
tbh i would go for ubuntu in that particular case

Thank you for your honest reply. This is basiclly what I need to hear. I'm passionate about gentoo, but I do question its scalability across a large site.

The plan I had in mind would utilise VMware. I'd maintain 2 or 3 snapshots of a desktop gentoo build, obviously compiling with as generic a set of complier options as possible, and then build binary packages for all of these, place them on an nfs share, then create some scripts to 'emerge' these packages on each system possibly run from a cron job. Trouble is, I have to get that base system on there in the first place via netboot (not impossible but also not straight forward), then find away of automating the updating of configuration files. Any thoughts on that?

anello wrote:
Go with Ubuntu!!!

Thats two in a row now. Thanks anello. Tinkering is great but you and Ctrl+Alt+Del are right. For this potentially very large installation it will be unnessacery to tinker, instead just get right. If anything tinkering could potentially just break things.

BRPXQZME wrote:
Apt-based systems are far more suited to the task in my opinion

Make that three...
Part of me is very sad to hear this, and it does go against my gut feeling of Gentoo being easier to install/maintain. Thanks BRPXQZME, good to hear your background experience - makes me more confident that Ubuntu is the one to settle for, although I'd still love to hear some "PRO" arguements towards Gentoo.

BlackEdder wrote:
you should come to the london gentoo meeting

Thanks BlackEdder, my name is already down for this and I plan to be there - especially for the Andrew Cowie talk (not to mention the social on Friday night! Will you be there?). Do you (or anyone for that matter) know of any tools/scripts/utilities that are around for maintaining Gentoo on a large scale? Has it actually been done before, or does Gentoo still only stand out as a hobbists work horse?
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annunaki2k2 wrote:
Thanks BlackEdder, my name is already down for this and I plan to be there - especially for the Andrew Cowie talk (not to mention the social on Friday night! Will you be there?). Do you (or anyone for that matter) know of any tools/scripts/utilities that are around for maintaining Gentoo on a large scale? Has it actually been done before, or does Gentoo still only stand out as a hobbists work horse?
I'm not sure if I will come friday night (it will mean having to travel to and from london on friday night, because I don't live there (but close by)). I'm thinking about it though :)

I know there have been some posts about it. And there was someone who put a lot of scripts online, it might need some creative googling though. I think it is possible with some preparation (getting a server to compile binary packages. Setting a cronjob on all clients to sync with this server and install the available packages (that way only packages you tested yourself will be installed on all the clients). It will need some preparation though and debian or ubuntu might be easier.

There is also a company that uses gentoo on their media machines (some kind of jukeboxes for cd-shops). Presumbably they have a way to push updates to all these boxes.
annunaki2k2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackEdder wrote:
I'm not sure if I will come friday night (it will mean having to travel to and from london on friday night, because I don't live there (but close by)). I'm thinking about it though :)

It would be good to have as many people there as possible. I might be able to offer the sofa in the lounge in my flat in tooting if your interested. PM if you like.

BlackEdder wrote:
I know there have been some posts about it. And there was someone who put a lot of scripts online, it might need some creative googling though. I think it is possible with some preparation (getting a server to compile binary packages. Setting a cronjob on all clients to sync with this server and install the available packages (that way only packages you tested yourself will be installed on all the clients).

I've had a brief look but not found all the peices of the puzzle that I need yet. At the moment it really is just the research stage to tighten up the spec and find a complete solution. Once we know exactly what we're aiming for we'll be able to judge better whether Ubuntu or Gentoo or xxxxx would be best.

BlackEdder wrote:
It will need some preparation though and debian or ubuntu might be easier.

This seems to be the overall concensus, however looking at documentation, the Gentoo wiki and forums seem to be much more fruitful than looking at the debian system. We shall have to see....

BlackEdder wrote:
There is also a company that uses gentoo on their media machines (some kind of jukeboxes for cd-shops). Presumbably they have a way to push updates to all these boxes.

Yes I have heard about that, and indeed think I may have seen one in a bar in Coventry. Quite impressive and pleaseing to know that it runs on Gentoo. At least they prove that a mass distrubution system in Gentoo must be possible. Maybe this would be my time to learn python and the inards of the portage system...

Thanks for your support, see you on Friday?
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all the machines are the same architecture and you want to use Gentoo, then I'd emerge on one box, and then use something like Acronis or Ghost. There are threads floating around also telling you how to mount portage on a shared drive and use one portage (one sync) for multiple machines.

And you don't have to compile new packages on every box. If they have the same setup, compile on one, quick package, and then dump off to the other machines.

I've never tried it, but in theory it should work out fine.
valkyrite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my two cents on the issue.

The most important thing that will decide which OS to use is not what helps you as an administrator but what the users are comfortable with.

If you want to setup a linux lab (for students), then I presume you would be needing a distro that is good for a desktop.

I have been system administrator and also the computer secretary at my univ for two years and have managed couple of labs and two HPC installations.

For desktop, I went with mandriva (since it had KDE and was the most useful as a desktop OS). Ubuntu is also equally good and you may go ahead with that. If users are not comfortable with the setup, they will complain which will make you a bad admin.

For HPC, I went with gentoo since it is easiest to administer/maintain (if you know your stuff). With gentoo, it is pretty easy to setup PXE, diskless nodes, and recovery. Almost all the time will be spent on setting up the root node. I followed Adiele linux guidelines.

Another thing, that I would suggest you is once you have got the setup running, make a copy of the installation (aka stage-4) and store it in different partitions. Configure your slave nodes so that they can boot from the network as well as from their HD and also keep a copy of slave image on the HD of the slave nodes. It will drastically reduce the time. In my case, it took only 5 minutes to install gentoo on any slave node (using a bunch of scripts and rsync).
valkyrite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly advise you to read the following docs.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/diskless-howto.xml

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/hpc-howto.xml

These itself will answer a lot of your questions.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to start a flame-fest here, but I'm not quite sure why Ubuntu is so famous or popular personally.

I prefer KDE greatly personally, and even if Ubuntu weren't Gnome-based, I can see plenty of advantages that distros like Suse or Mandriva have over Ubuntu. Honestly, Ubuntu's popularity is a big mystery to me.
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
I don't want to start a flame-fest here, but I'm not quite sure why Ubuntu is so famous or popular personally.

I prefer KDE greatly personally, and even if Ubuntu weren't Gnome-based, I can see plenty of advantages that distros like Suse or Mandriva have over Ubuntu. Honestly, Ubuntu's popularity is a big mystery to me.

care to share these advantages?
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just take SuSE for example.

- SuSE has the best Linux installer I've seen to date.
- YaST allows for those unfamiliar with Linux to customize their desktop experience easily.
- YaST also controls package management. With one interface to install, configure and update your system, it certainly keeps consistent and polished.
- AppArmor
- SuSE allows for more flexibility given they support both Gnome and KDE. And while some distros only give lip-service to one side, both get adequate treatment.
- Again there is more freedom in choosing either the free version, or opting for a more commercial distro version if you want support for your product.
annunaki2k2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
If all the machines are the same architecture and you want to use Gentoo, then I'd emerge on one box, and then use something like Acronis or Ghost. There are threads floating around also telling you how to mount portage on a shared drive and use one portage (one sync) for multiple machines.

And you don't have to compile new packages on every box. If they have the same setup, compile on one, quick package, and then dump off to the other machines.

I've never tried it, but in theory it should work out fine.

Its a very fine theory, so thanks. Thats sort of along the lines of what I was thinking of doing. Yes all the machines are the same arch (so far as i686 will cover it), but they will be different hardware (some Nvidia Graphics, others ATI, etc). The only snag I can see in this is the inability to create and control roles for different package requirements. I wasn't planning on building each PC from source, I would use the binary method, the only other thing that did cross my mind was: seeing how many machines are the same maybe some distributed compilation would be easy enough to set-up. That way to beable to compile and test things like open office several times in one day would become easily possible...

I've had a quick look at the redhat/fedora kickstart mechanism and it does sound very much ideal. I don't see it in portage, but has anybody perhaps had a go at porting it to gentoo?

Last edited by annunaki2k2 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
annunaki2k2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiwaris wrote:
Here are my two cents on the issue.

The most important thing that will decide which OS to use is not what helps you as an administrator but what the users are comfortable with.

If you want to setup a linux lab (for students), then I presume you would be needing a distro that is good for a desktop.

I have been system administrator and also the computer secretary at my univ for two years and have managed couple of labs and two HPC installations.

For desktop, I went with mandriva (since it had KDE and was the most useful as a desktop OS). Ubuntu is also equally good and you may go ahead with that. If users are not comfortable with the setup, they will complain which will make you a bad admin.

For HPC, I went with gentoo since it is easiest to administer/maintain (if you know your stuff). With gentoo, it is pretty easy to setup PXE, diskless nodes, and recovery. Almost all the time will be spent on setting up the root node. I followed Adiele linux guidelines.

Another thing, that I would suggest you is once you have got the setup running, make a copy of the installation (aka stage-4) and store it in different partitions. Configure your slave nodes so that they can boot from the network as well as from their HD and also keep a copy of slave image on the HD of the slave nodes. It will drastically reduce the time. In my case, it took only 5 minutes to install gentoo on any slave node (using a bunch of scripts and rsync).

The first target audience is just staff, but if it is succesful it may be pushed out next summer to some or all student machines. There is a very old managed linux solution (using slackware 8 and some very long unmaintainable make file scripts) and an old solaris 8 desktop solution. This new linux system is intended to replace these gradually at first, but if its good enough and easy enough to maintain then it could get rolled out to replace the windows clients currently used by students who just access a citrix managed desktop service. A am hopeful that if it is popular enough in every aspect, then maybe it could even one day replace the windows solution here completely just leaving a citrix set-up for windows work, but who knows.

I really like the suggestion of having a slave/backup local linux on the box, I'll put that to my collegues and see what they have to say. Thanks.
annunaki2k2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
Let's just take SuSE for example.

- SuSE has the best Linux installer I've seen to date.
- YaST allows for those unfamiliar with Linux to customize their desktop experience easily.
- YaST also controls package management. With one interface to install, configure and update your system, it certainly keeps consistent and polished.
- AppArmor
- SuSE allows for more flexibility given they support both Gnome and KDE. And while some distros only give lip-service to one side, both get adequate treatment.
- Again there is more freedom in choosing either the free version, or opting for a more commercial distro version if you want support for your product.

The last time I used suse was back in the days of 5.2 so I can't really comment on it to well. However I'm willing to learn, so...
What remote/centralised package management abilites does YaST have to offer (if any)?
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.suse.de/~sh/YaST2-Package-Manager/pic/y2pkg-selections.png

http://www.suse.de/~sh/YaST2-Package-Manager/
annunaki2k2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
http://www.suse.de/~sh/YaST2-Package-Manager/pic/y2pkg-selections.png

http://www.suse.de/~sh/YaST2-Package-Manager/

Looks like a regular ol' package manager to me, but does it have any special abilities for remote deployment/management?
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but having the same interface to do the initial install, to configure the system and to update the system makes for a consistent feel.
chrismortimore
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I hate it, my uni use Fedora in the computer science labs (I don't know how many floors the labs are, but there are a lot of computers) and from what I hear it gives them very few headaches in terms of maintenance. Perhaps a look into that?

I'm also quite liking Arch Linux just now (under VMware anyway, I'm gonna do a test install later when I have more time). If all of your machines are i686, you could look at that, but I'm not sure what fancy features you might want for mass-admin are actually there...

And for the "Why is Ubuntu great?" post earlier, I like Ubuntu because it gives you all the fun of Debian (ever seen apt-build? It's cool), but with nice tools so that "human beings" (read "idiots") can use it, and a fairly up to date package tree. Yes, it is gnome based, but if you type "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop", as if by magic it becomes KDE based. Likewise, if you type "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" it becomes xfce4 based. And you can put in others like fluxbox if you want them. I'm going to assume that given you havn't noticed that, you dismissed it without exploring it properly ;)
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismortimore wrote:
And for the "Why is Ubuntu great?" post earlier, I like Ubuntu because it gives you all the fun of Debian (ever seen apt-build? It's cool), but with nice tools so that "human beings" (read "idiots") can use it, and a fairly up to date package tree. Yes, it is gnome based, but if you type "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop", as if by magic it becomes KDE based. Likewise, if you type "apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" it becomes xfce4 based. And you can put in others like fluxbox if you want them. I'm going to assume that given you havn't noticed that, you dismissed it without exploring it properly ;)

You can put KDE on Ubuntu. I'm aware. I've seen Kubuntu. Actually the weirdest thing I've seen is their educational distro that uses many of the KDE-Edu programs, but goes out of its way to avoid using KDE.

I don't see what Ubuntu has over other distros however. Is it really better in any regard?

And if you focus solely on Gnome, then the KDE side won't see the same love. Will packages be maintained as well? Will they be looking for optimizations for KDE? Probably not.
valkyrite
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell you two big advantages of ubuntu over other distros. I am a die hard gentoo fan though.

Mandriva/Mandrake: In order to get the full system (with all the utilities you want), you shall have to buy the powerpack, the 3 cd version won't give your everything.
Suse: The single cd version is crap, you shall have to buy suse linux pro to get all the functionality you want.
Fedora: It is good but since RedHat has an enterprise version (which is supposed to be better), people tend to feel that fedora is half-baked version of RHEL and is intended for getting the community help and serves as a test-bed for their enterprise offering.

Ubuntu is completely free (both as in beer and freedom).

All the drake tools in Mandriva and Yet another suse crap is broken and do not always work, are buggy, the system freezes, blah blah. These tools need to be tested with different hardware/software setting to remove all the pitfalls etc.

Ubuntu on the other hand is a very polished distro, the only thing, I dislike about it is absence of KDE (I have not tried kubuntu).

I always recommend ubuntu to a newbie.

I use gentoo, because I have got used to it and gentoo is definitely (significantly) faster than all others. No other distro gives me as much control as gentoo. I can configure gentoo exactly to my test and liking, something which I cannot do with others unless I tweak those distros more than their developers already have. That is one of the reasons, why Gentoo is called a meta-OS. :D
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Mandriva there is the PLF to get the non-free stuff they can't bundle (like fonts, codecs, etc).

SuSE seems polished and stable to me. With YaST/App Armor and all the fun stuff is on the free version.

SuSE's installer is even more n00b-friendly that Ubuntu, and YaST makes it easier to configure.
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiwaris wrote:

I use gentoo, because I have got used to it and gentoo is definitely (significantly) faster than all others. No other distro gives me as much control as gentoo. I can configure gentoo exactly to my test and liking, something which I cannot do with others unless I tweak those distros more than their developers already have. That is one of the reasons, why Gentoo is called a meta-OS. :D

I credit Gentoo for its configurability.
but it's not faster if not even slower!!
and it's definitely the tedious one when it comes to installing.

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop the other day, and I couldn't believe how much of my laptop features (i.e. X, suspend, hibernate, external monitor, power saving, etc etc) was working with the out of the box installation!!!
I spent weeks getting those features working with the lengthy GentooWiki HOWTO documentations.

but i'm used to gentoo and its configuration, so i'm sticking with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: