Powerbook 3400c Network Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indiepunc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Powerbook 3400c Network Problems Reply with quote

Alright,
I had this old Powerbook 3400c lying around and decided to put my favorite OS on, Gentoo Linux :-P

I used the universal install disc so that I did not have to download stage3 for the install. My powerbook is however connected to the internet and the internet works fine under OS 9.

Well, I got portage on the book and chrooted to /mnt/gentoo. But for some reason it won't conect to the internet correctly.

When I try to use wget or emerge it just says 'Temporary Failure in Name resolution'. When I'm booted with the live CD I use net-setup, but it doesn't help. DHCP should autoconfigure and I'm on a cable connection.

Is it possible I'm using the wrong bootx arguments? I don't know what module to load in modprobe but I believe the right module is loaded. :x
indiepunc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I can set it up to use an IP address and gateway and I can ping my other computers fine, but I can't ping websites?

Also, when I have dhcp aut configured, A few seconds later it says eth0: timeout expired stopping dma.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on PPC.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a driver issue. I'd try one of the historical releases (2005.1 perhaps) and see if that works instead. 3400's aren't really tested that well if at all.
indiepunc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... do you have any idea where I can get an older release? The mirrors I've tried only supply the 2006.0 release.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, you want a "historical" release. Those are found in the "historic" directories on the mirrors, like this one:
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/historical/ppc/

Good luck.
loppe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi indiepunc,

I've successfully installed Gentoo on a Powerbook 3400c a few times. If you can ping other machines in your network, but not reach the internet, then it sounds like all you need is to set your /etc/resolv.conf properly (i.e., it doesn't sound like it is a problem caused by the Powerbook). /etc/resolv.conf should contain a line like:

Code:
nameserver 192.168.0.2

where 192.168.0.2 is the machine/router that is your gateway to the internet.

Just out of curiosity, were you able to boot from the 2006.0 live CD? I always got a kernel panic with a variety of kernel arguments (passed via BootX). If you did boot from the 2006.0 live CD, would you mind posting the BootX configuration that you used (i.e., which kernel, ram disk, kernel arguments, etc.). Much appreciated.
loppe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel panic was caused by using a ramdisk size that was too small. The kernel panic'd with a ramdisk size of 32000 (as suggested by the Handbook). Setting it to 64000 worked.

If anyone is interested in what I used to boot my Powerbook 3400c with, here's the info:

kernel: ppc32
ramdisk: ppc32.igz
kernel parameters: cdroot root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc loop=image.squashfs looptype=squashfs udev nodevfs console=tty0
ramdisk size: 64000
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: