Speed up install, HowTo ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EAD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Speed up install, HowTo ? Reply with quote

hi.
Install Gentoo from minmal cd, if I want a full working system with KDE or GNOME and X and all sort of things take a lot of time :!:
So, How can I speed it up?
Can I use binarys packages? and if so, how to? and wich one should I compile (basic ones), and wich ones can I prefer Binary?
also, Is there other ways of improving the install speed and compiling?
:?:
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, Gentoo is about configuring the system on the pre-compilation level.

There are several projects on the net who, by using gentoo as a basis, provide precompiled versions to have a quick install and recompile only some packages if needed. One of them is Epios for example, which specializes in VIA Epia mainboards or some demo live cds announced in this forum.

As an alternative, if you want to fiddle with the configuration not with the compilation, take Debian or Ubuntu :twisted:
shadowhunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or try sabayon... best thing is to set it up once and then make a stage4...

Boot Knoppix and you could emerge everything in a chroot, while using knoppix until your system is ready.

Geert.
EAD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is sabayon ?
and, I do love and want to edit config files and compile most of my system, but compiling things like KDE or OpenOffice and so on, takes a lot of time!
Can't I use binaries insted? or something more faster then wait houres or even days till I finish it up?
shadowhunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabayon:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=sabayon

Kororaa
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kororaa

these two provide a binary system. Install them,
-Sync with portage tree
-modify your world config and make config
-dep clean
-emerge -e world

and you should have a working system...
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i do (have done) is the folowwing:

once you get into your chroot emerge vim(optional) and GNU screen(greatest thing since the transistor)

learn how to use and love screen

then do all of your base (stage 3 assumed) emergeing (like dhcpcd, log daemon, cron daemon etc...) all at once on one screen, emerge and config a kernel on another (then compile+install <--if you have your own .config thats ONE line!), and dive into configs (/etc/hosts /etc/conf.d/*) in another screen.

all this and you can have a base system (no X) in no time (you might end up breaking a sweat though -- it gets intense!)

then -- if your prety confident, before you even reboot or install grub, you can setup an emerge kde or emerge gnome-session, which will, via deps, get you lots of stuff (check USE flags with emerge -pv).

I believe there is a parallel fetch option in portage that could speed up the downloading, and if you have a nice and fast machine, this will take 1 night. the next morning you will have a stout and full featured system (start around 8pm).

technically though, the binary system will get you a nice system WAY faster, but I thought I would share what I do in a fresh gentoo install.

the bigest time saver is learning what things can go out of order in the handbook/install docs. the longest thing I have found to compile has been kdelibs, god that takes forever.
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAD wrote:
what is sabayon ?
and, I do love and want to edit config files and compile most of my system, but compiling things like KDE or OpenOffice and so on, takes a lot of time!
Can't I use binaries insted? or something more faster then wait houres or even days till I finish it up?

openoffice can be remedied by using openoffice-bin i believe (though for plain ole gentoo, kde takes a while).

if you are just can't wait for X and kde, you could use GRP packages, then mask any updates (so at a porage sync and update you woulnt be re-installing and compiling kde or X ).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: